4.11.0 Solo Frame Behavior

The issues found when using the Virtual Console
siegmund

I somehow like this idea. It will visually separate the two states and tells the user what is actually going on.
Just a quick first thought, that came to my mind: Maybe this could not be done with a frame, but rather with some highlighting of the font in the button?
mcallegari

I have prepared a prototype of the concept mentioned before.
Now buttons show a different visual feedback when they are running a function (green border) or when they are just monitoring a function (orange border)

Note that this doesn't include the 4.11.0 behavior, but it can be easily added. For now I just want to know if it could be a satisfactory solution for everyone.

Test builds with this change:
Windows: 4.11.1.51
macOS: QLC+_4.11.1-TEST-20170715.dmg (this build also reverts to Qt 5.6.2, so it should work on older macOS version too)
Linux: build the "tristate" branch from sources
maquelle

I quickly test this version and it's really great !

Thanks Massimo
volmar

mcallegari wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:15 pm I have prepared a prototype of the concept mentioned before.
Now buttons show a different visual feedback when they are running a function (green border) or when they are just monitoring a function (orange border)

Note that this doesn't include the 4.11.0 behavior, but it can be easily added. For now I just want to know if it could be a satisfactory solution for everyone.

macOS: QLC+_4.11.1-TEST-20170715.dmg (this build also reverts to Qt 5.6.2, so it should work on older macOS version too)
I really think this is a great idea. Thanks for the effort regardless it makes to an official release or not.
siegmund

Just tested this and looks nice so far, thank you! I'm sure this will reduce confusion of the users. Before merging, there should still be some testing done. Because as we already discussed in the bug report thread, I think the "monitoring" buttons should not be affected by anything in the same frame, which is not the case at the moment.
Tubby

Hi Massimo,

Thanks for looking into this. As one of the users that exploited the bug... sorry.

For what it is worth, I do think the 4.11 Solo Frame is good, it enables a way of designing that wasn't possible before due to the bug. Also I think monitoring is a great idea, but I don't think that it will help here.

I think the useful bits of the bug can be reinstated and improved by:
1. Keeping the 4.11 Solo Behaviour.
2. Adding an option to Solo frames to "treat composite functions (see below) as a single function".
3. Add a new VC widget called a "Multi Press Button".
A "Multi Press Button" allows a user to press 1 or more VC buttons at the same time.
Unlike a collection, a "Multi Press Button" follows the VC programing, things like Solo Frames and Submasters. The "Multi Press Button" itself would not latch, but the buttons it presses would react as if the user activated them (don't toggle if already activated).

Expanding on Point 2:
As I see it there are two classes of functions in QLC+: Simple Functions and Composite Functions. I would define these types as below:
Simple Function:
A function that is fully defined and contained within itself.
These include: Scenes, Sequences, RGBMatrix, EFX

Composite Function:
A function that relies on one or more other functions for its definition.
These include: Chasers, Collections, Scripts, Shows (4.11 changes make this a moot point as they have their own private sequences)

As I wrote in earlier posts, I think that composite functions should be able to be treated as a single running function for the purposes of a Solo Frame.
siegmund

Tubby wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:17 am 2. Adding an option to Solo frames to "treat composite functions (see below) as a single function".
Let me first state, that I most probably explained the principle of composed functions wrong to you. Read this thread for a correct explanation by Massimo (so actually, composite functions are already treated as single functions, not as I explained as several functions). Anyway, adding such an option would require a huge change in QLC+ code so I'm sure this is out of the question.
Tubby wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:17 am 3. Add a new VC widget called a "Multi Press Button".
You can already achieve that with the help of the loopback plugin.
gmint

mcallegari wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:15 pm I have prepared a prototype of the concept mentioned before.

Massimo, I like the test version. I want to say that when people started to discuss this, I KNEW someone was going to say, "can't we just have it both ways?" :mrgreen: I didn't want to be that guy. But I like what you've done!
mcallegari

So, 4.11.0 behavior is winning.
Basically the "monitoring" feature just brings some more clarity to who is controlling who.
Please help me testing version 4.11.1.57 (WIndows) and then I'll merge the change upstream and produce new test builds also for macOS.
Thanks
Pioneer1

Dear Massimo,
First of all, thank you for your great work!

About this discussion,
In version 4.11.0, I have feedback for the TAP on MIDI controller.
(On MIDI controller LED lights up simultaneously to the TAP trigger)
The same way for audio trigger.
This can be done because two buttons with same function can have two different external inputs - one for turning on, the other for MIDI LED.

But in 4.11.1 this doesn't work, because the button in "monitoring" mode don`t send command to MIDI controller.
Any ideas how to do this in 4.11.1 ?
Attachments
TAP_FeedBack.qxw
(6.6 KiB) Downloaded 65 times