XY Pad problem with joystick

The issues found when using the Virtual Console
ralbrightii

I have search the forum, and I cannot seem to figure this out. I have 2 moving head fixtures, and I am wanting to control them with a joystick. Followed the directions on the website, added a XY Pad, mapped the inputs from the joystick (A Logitech Extreme 3D), added a custom profile for the input, set the X/Y axises to Relative, set the sensitivity to the lowest possible value (10). Go back to Virtual Console, press the "Play" button, and move the joystick, wow it works!!

Now for the problem, I let go of the joystick, and the indicator glides at an angle of 135degrees or 225 degrees (assuming 0 degrees is straight up) to the bottom left or right corners.

I am not sure what is causing this.
lcslouis

I have seen this as well.

I have put in a feature request that could solve this problem if implemented.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11218
JayP

I've just been playing around with a PS4 controller. The problem I am facing is that the standard position of the analogue-sticks is not completely exact. The springs move them back to a centred position, but it's +/- 3 or 4 of the center position. In relative mode this results to movement.
I guess this is the same problem you are facing.

I've played around with dummy dmx devices employing custom channel behaviour and loopback in order to avoid this problem but no luck so far.
ralbrightii

JayP wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:57 pm I've just been playing around with a PS4 controller. The problem I am facing is that the standard position of the analogue-sticks is not completely exact. The springs move them back to a centred position, but it's +/- 3 or 4 of the center position. In relative mode this results to movement.
I guess this is the same problem you are facing.

I've played around with dummy dmx devices employing custom channel behaviour and loopback in order to avoid this problem but no luck so far.
I have used a different logitech joystick (one that doesn't have a z-axis and is quite a bit simplier), this works much better. I also found a gamepad works very well (using the Directional pad vs the thumb toggles.)
JayP

After further playing around I seem to have found the solution.

I'm using MadRouter (a nifty tool from MadMapper) to grab the PS4-Controller's input and sending the data via Midi to QLC+.
Using the PS4-Controller directly in QLC+ resulted in crashes. I suspect this is partly due to bluetooth connection loss and me fiddling around with the input profile while input is being sent.
I am controlling two VC-faders (X and Y) with the MIDI-input from MadRouter.
The input is in regular absolute mode.
These faders control a dummy-dmx-device in level-mode.
I've created a custom channel-fade-configuration which sets the output to 127 between inputs of 120 and 134.
The dummy-device data is being sent and caught via a loopback device.
Now I am using relative-mode
Input from the loopback device is then used to control the x/y-pad.

I'll have to test it again with an actual moving-head next week.
Previously I made the mistake of setting the output to 128 instead of 127, which resulted in slow gradual movement.
Another problem I came across is when changing input-profile configurations or channel-behaviour you have to deselect and reassign the channels in VC in order to get them working with the new settings.

Hope this helps.