MIDI Feedback No Longer Sent from Disabled Frame

The issues found when using the Virtual Console
MMx

Hi - I'm experiencing a new issue with version 4.10.6.89. Feedbacks are no longer sent from a frame that is not in an enabled state. Having a button that sends the feedback from a disabled frame is important to me because I only want to send a MIDI signal / feedback one-way to a button on an external controller. I don’t want to receive the input signal from the controller on that Virtual Console button. I may want to receive the input signal on another widget such as a Cue List.

My use case is a follows:

• Press a button (Button 1) on my Launchpad the first time: make the button red, turn on the Red scene
• Press the same button a second time: make the button green, turn on the Green scene
• Press the same button a third time: make the button blue, turn on the Blue scene
• Press the button a fourth time: turn off the button, turn the scene off

In prior versions, I could achieve this by using a Cue List, a chaser with the 4 scenes and a disabled frame containing three buttons. Each of the buttons send a different feedback (Red, Green, and Blue) to that Button 1 on the Launchpad. I am open to look into a different approach. If you have any ideas, please advise. Thank you.
siegmund

Hey,

this behavior has been changed so that widgets an a page that is not active don't send any feedback.
I want to note that this is most likely a very rare use case. Hope there will be a discussion on this topic here:https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/pull/925

Just for clearance, you are talking about a disabled frame with only one page, right?
siegmund

I tried to fix this. If you are able to build from sources (HowTo: https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/wiki) you could give my code on the multipage-feedback branch a try:
https://github.com/siegmund42/qlcplus/t ... e-feedback
MMx

Awesome. Thanks for the consideration. I thought this was a problem with this build, therefore I reported it as an issue. I now understand that is as a result of new functionality with multi-page frames.

Yes, I am talking about a frame with a single page, but we may want the current active page regardless if it’s collapsed or not. I would not want feedback from other pages that are not active.

I was not planning on building it from the source. Not sure if I am able to do that, but I will give it a try.

Also, I want you to know my need is a result of a workaround. I know it doesn’t seem right that something that is meant to be disabled provides some sort of activity, but this will do it for now as it will not break current functionality. What I really need is a way to disable the MIDI input signal on a widget while be able to send the feedback, but that is a topic of another discussion.

Again, thank you.
MMx

Hi siegmund -- as promised, I tried to build from the source. It took me a while but I was able to compile few releases. I did a git clone https://github.com/siegmund42/qlcplus.git. So, I am not sure if I getting the right branch but the issue still persists--I don't see any changes. Let me know. In the mid time, I will keep looking if I am doing anything wrong.
siegmund

Good to know you got so far. After

Code: Select all

git clone
you need to do a

git checkout disabled-feedback
to switch to the right branch (you also could checkout

multipage-feedback
but this branch is kind of outdated and

disabled-feedback
holds the current pull request for this issue, so please use this).
BTW, you can always see on which branch you are with the

git status
command.
MMx

Hi siegmund, thank you again for your assistance. I was able to rebuild it using your branch. You resolved the issue I was experiencing. Also, I noticed that your fix addresses another issue with the Frame feedback itself. The lower value of the Frame custom feedback was never sent to the external controller as the frame gets disabled. That's not good because if you only look at the external controller, you would not know if the frame is enabled or disabled.
siegmund

MMx wrote:The lower value of the Frame custom feedback was never sent to the external controller as the frame gets disabled. That's not good because if you only look at the external controller, you would not know if the frame is enabled or disabled.
Which lower value exactly do you mean? The one from the enable button?
I'm confused since I didn't wanted to resolve this issue with the commit (at least didn't know about the issue) and I don't know what causes this fix.
siegmund

Ah, I think I get what you mean. So if no feedback is sent - there is also now lower value feedback sent. Because of that I don't think it's another issue, just another appearance.
MMx

Yes, I mean the lower value feedback from the Enable button of any frame. As you disable the frame, the lower value of the feedback is not sent so you would not know if that frame is disabled or enabled. The expected behavior is as follows: press button 1 on a external controller, frame gets disabled, button is turned off. Press button 1 again, frame gets enabled, button is turned on. Just a simple on / off behavior. Again, your fix addresses this issue. Let me know if you need additional details.
siegmund

Thanks, I see now what happens - seems like a lucky catch :D
Anyway, thanks for the additional report, I wouldn't have noticed this otherwise.
electronicsfreak

Hi all!

New to QLC+ but am learning! Fun stuff.

I believe I'm having the same issue. When setting a button with midi feedback to enable/disable a frame, it looks like the enable frame feedback is sent, but disable frame feedback is not.

In operate mode:
Press button on controller, button illuminates on controller, frame is enabled in virtual console.
Press button on controller again, no change on the controller (button still illuminated), but the frame is disabled in virtual console.

I tried assigning different available buttons on the controller with feedback, but they all have the same result.

I am using an Akai APC40 as a controller and am running QLC+ version 4.11.0 on Windows 10

Any thoughts?

-EF
bluescreen25

electronicsfreak wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:21 am When setting a button with midi feedback to enable/disable a frame, it looks like the enable frame feedback is sent, but disable frame feedback is not.
Same problem with V4.11.1 .
mcallegari

Enable feedback fixed on GIT
Test versions on the way
bluescreen25

mcallegari wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:46 pm Enable feedback fixed on GIT
Test versions on the way
This works. APC Feedback in case of enable/disable frame ok....but:

I put a cue list into frame. Chaser invinite timed steps. In Chaser RGB Matrix steps inside with own times.
The cue list is triggered by midi-beat in "next step" like in tutorial "Audio triggered cue list".

If i disable frame , the cue list freezes(paused) in last step working endless, but it should stop not pause ! (because the light are already on)
Enabling the frame the trigger starts steps from last step paused. I wish to switch with APC Buttons between some cue lists.

regards, Ralf