[RESOLVED] QLC+ 4.10.5b (and newer) stopped working on my Windows 10 64bit machine

Generic issues not specifically related to a QLC+ area.
Post here only if you can't really find the reason of an issue
nedmech

I was double-checking updates to see if certain bugs had been fixed yet, and found that 4.10.5b and up no longer seem to run on my Windows 10 Home 64-bit machine. I have older installs back from 4.10.1 thru 4.10.4, and those versions all still run just fine. But after installing 4.10.5 or newer, QLC+ will no longer launch. I don't get any error messages or anything. I just get a spinning hourglass for a few seconds, then nothing. The qlcplus.exe process shows up briefly in Task Manager, then goes away.

I have tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling, rebooting after installing, and launching it with different compatibility settings.

I have tried both the 4.10.5b installer and the latest test 4.10.6.115 & 4.10.6.153 versions. They all behave the same - QLC+ won't run on my Windows 10 Home 64-bit machine. 4.10.5b runs just fine on my Linux Mint KDE 17.3 machine though. Any ideas?
Last edited by nedmech on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcallegari

Defintely no idea as well.
Other users seem to have no issues with Windows 10 even with the latest builds.

I would say you can try to remove all the plugins DLL and check if that's the cause. Then add it one by one and see which one is causing the crash.
If it crashes with no plugins at all, then it's a serious problem.
nedmech

I tried disabling the plugins (renamed from *.dll to *.dllxxx) - did not help.

I went back and tried pulling the latest Git sources and recompiling on my machine, but it's been awhile since I've done that. My first attempt to compile ended badly, so I went back to the instructions and tried setting up from scratch again. I uninstalled and reinstalled my MSYS2 to start with. Then I ran the QT Maintenance Tool to get my QT libraries and tools up-to-date ( to 5.6 anyhow). I also noticed I had a couple bad (but unrelated) PATH environment variable arguments (RapidEE to the rescue!), so I deleted the non-existent PATH entries.

Before I went through the full build process, I decided to check the 4.10.5b installer one more time. Now it works just fine on this machine, all plugins enabled and everything! I'm not sure what changed by updating my build tools since I thought the QLC+ install included the required libraries in the local install and didn't rely on the build libraries for anything.

4.10.6.153 works now as well. I like the new monitor level indication on the sliders! Unfortunately, there is still a bug with the fader-controlled-matrix implementation (https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/issues/758) that is keeping me from updating past 4.10.1 in production.
mcallegari

Alright, then you forgot to mention that you had an outdated build environment and a global PATH variable set in your system... :)
Next time please give us the whole picture.
By the way, when you use MSYS2, DO NOT install the official Qt libraries ! They use a different build environment and are not binary compatible with the ones provided by MSYS2.

As for #758, David was looking into it, but then he disappeared. So I guess I need to fix all the mess myself.
nedmech

mcallegari wrote:Alright, then you forgot to mention that you had an outdated build environment and a global PATH variable set in your system... :)
Next time please give us the whole picture.
The build environment and PATH variable didn't even cross my mind until I went back to try to build from sources. One reason I hadn't kept my build environment up to date was that I previously hadn't needed to when testing out pre-build QLC+ releases. I didn't think the build environment affected the pre-build installed version and have always considered them separate worlds. Is that not the case?

The PATH thing was a couple left over entries from some other piece of software that didn't fully clean up after itself when I uninstalled it. I'm not sure how that would've been the culprit either. Anything using PATH would've had to scan a couple invalid entries, but that should've just been a time-waster, not a reason to crash.

Thanks for your effort on this whole project Massimo - it's definitely appreciated!