Random crashes on Windows and macOS - hopefully solved - please help testing

Generic issues not specifically related to a QLC+ area.
Post here only if you can't really find the reason of an issue
mcallegari

Hi, I'm opening a new thread about this, but this has been reported quite a few times:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10628
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9865
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10276
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9863

Apparently it affects only Windows and macOS builds. At first I also thought it was related to DMX USB PRO devices, but it seems it wasn't.

Yesterday I spent the whole day trying to figure it out. Being random it's been quite long to tackle.
I've set up a very simple project (attached - just push the 2 buttons in the VC) and configured an Enttec MK2 to output 2 universes.
I've done 3 runs:
- Windows 7 - QLC+ 4.10.5b - 30 minutes: crashed
- Windows 7 - QLC+ 4.10.5b - 2 hours: didn't crash. Interrupted
- Ubuntu 14.04 - QLC+ GIT build - 5 hours: didn't crash. Interrupted

So after a bit of struggle to find how to properly debug the code on Windows (Windows 10 in this case), today I found something.
I've run a GIT code build and it "luckily" spotted a crash after less than 30 minutes.
I've applied a fix and hopefully the cause of all evil should be gone now.

So, I kindly ask everybody that have experienced random crashes, to please test the latest TEST versions with either their projects or the attached one, at least for a couple of hours.
Then please report if it works or not for you.

Windows: Automated builds (updated: 2017-03-10)
OSX 10.7+: QLC+_4.10.6-TEST-20170326.dmg

[EDIT 10:55pm] the macOS build ran for 6 hours with no crashes
Attachments
2uniEnttecMk2.qxw
(25.11 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
hplighting

Hi Massimo,
Thanks for investigating this problem - much appreciated :)
I've been running the test build and workspace for a few hours now with no crashes. I'll try and run it a bit longer though just encase...
Thanks Again !

Henry P
mcallegari

Very good, thanks for the feedback
mgweber

Hi, thank you for looking into this. I will download and test on a separate system than what I use at the theater. That has been the only place that I saw the issue but I will test anyway. My show system I installed Linux as dual boot last night. I was using a VM with Linux for a few days with good results until I was able to do an actual install.

One difference I noticed is that with the Windows build the UI has a significant slowdown when entering scenes when connected the the USB-DMX interface. I did not notice that with the Unix install. I will stick with the dual boot configuration on that system just for the responsiveness of the UI.
tornel

Reporting here:

Ubuntu Mate 16.04: testing for about 3 hours with the test project. No crash or interrupt.
Windows 7: testing for about 4 hours with the test project. No crash or interrupt.
:lol:
shortylight

Hi,

I did two tests on Windows 8.1 for more than 3 hrs without a crash.

Martin
austriancoder

Hi.

Windows 7 with enttec dmx usb pro mk2 (one universe) with Midi input: crashed 5 times within 3 hours. I try to build it on Windows and run it in under qtcreators debugger to see if I find something. With the current state it is not the best choice for a live performance :(
mcallegari

austriancoder wrote:Windows 7 with enttec dmx usb pro mk2 (one universe) with Midi input: crashed 5 times within 3 hours. I try to build it on Windows and run it in under qtcreators debugger to see if I find something. With the current state it is not the best choice for a live performance :(
Care to share some more information about your setup ?
- did you use my test project or one of yours ? (in case please share the faulty workspace)
- does it make any difference with/without MIDI input ?
- did you make sure you are using a clean installation of the test build linked above ?
hplighting

Thinking about it mine also used to crash while using a MIDI input.
I'll use my MIDI controller with the new version to see if I can get it to crash...
mcallegari wrote:
austriancoder wrote:Windows 7 with enttec dmx usb pro mk2 (one universe) with Midi input: crashed 5 times within 3 hours. I try to build it on Windows and run it in under qtcreators debugger to see if I find something. With the current state it is not the best choice for a live performance :(
- did you use my test project or one of yours ? (in case please share the faulty workspace)
- did you make sure you are using a clean installation of the test build linked above ?
mgweber

Hi,

I have a fairly large workspace with an accumulation of several shows. I have two windows 10 systems at home. First system has been running is running 4.10.5b with *no* dmx interface for literally days with no issue. The second system I installed the test version posted in this thread. I am using a single universe Entec Pro with the same workspace. I ran it for two runs of about 3 hours each. I interrupted it to create a sample for another thread.

I need to test with the Pro Mk2 from the theater but I won't have access to use that at home for testing until after Sunday (show weekend).

I may be wrong but it sure feels like an issue caused in some way by the Pro Mk2. When I look at what works and what doesn't that is the only unique item for the system that crashes.

BTW, I am using the Pro Mk2 as two universes out with no midi input.

Thanks,
Matt
samatnyc

Crashed on Mac test version after a few minutes.

I use a 2012 MBPR, OS X 10.12.3 beta along with, yeah, an ENTTEC DMXUSB Pro.
Sam
Michigan, USA
2012 MacBook Pro Retina, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM
OS X 10.12.3 beta
Enttech DMXUSB Pro
Primarily using w/Ableton Live 9.7 for use w/gigging cover band
mcallegari

samatnyc wrote:Crashed on Mac test version after a few minutes.
If you want these crashes to be resolved, saying "crashed after a few minutes" doesn't help at all.
I need to know what you were doing, the project you used, if it crashes sistematically with a particular action, and every possible detail that can help.
On macOS you also get a crash log. Where is it ?
samatnyc

I know I didn't provide too much detail. I will the next time if it occurs.

Thank you.
Sam
Michigan, USA
OS X 10.12.3 beta
Enttech DMXUSB Pro
austriancoder

mcallegari wrote:
- I am using a small project from my own
- I did not test that as I need MIDI to be able to control the light from our backing track laptop
- Yeah is a clean installation

But I have found out something: I was using the global blackout in our show quite often to in some parts to have the lights turn on/off with the kick drum. I have created a blackout scene and used that instead and I did a test (about 8 hours) and it worked without any crashes. The first 4 hours without the DMX interface the other 4 hours with the DMX interface connected. In both cases the light was controlled from cubase via midi.
hplighting

I don't know if this helps at all but when this has happened to me the setup I use is:

Laptop - Windows 10 Pro
Enntec Pro
AKAI LDP 8 (USB MIDI)

I've had it happen when I have just left the software running a colour chaser and i've also had it happen when i've been pressing lots of buttons on the USB MIDI device although I don't know if this is coincidence or not? It all seems to happen after a few hours of running.

Thanks for trying to sort this Massimo :)
hplighting

mcallegari wrote:
samatnyc wrote:Crashed on Mac test version after a few minutes.
If you want these crashes to be resolved, saying "crashed after a few minutes" doesn't help at all.
I need to know what you were doing, the project you used, if it crashes sistematically with a particular action, and every possible detail that can help.
On macOS you also get a crash log. Where is it ?
I've just ran the test software + work space for 1 hours with my USB MIDI plugged in aswell as outputting to my Enntec PRO DMX. hasn't crashed yet !
samatnyc

Here's another MacOS crash. Please see attached .pdf

Thanks for all your hard work.
Attachments
Process.pdf
(262.8 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Sam
Michigan, USA
OS X 10.12.3 beta
Enttech DMXUSB Pro
PiotrNowik

Last weekend I discovered, for the first time, crashes.

My setup was:

- Windows 10 laptop
- 'cheap' USB-DMX adapter
- AKAI mini APC MIDI-Controller
- my own project

After a 2nd crash I disconnected AKAI MIDI console and then everything worked fine.
Sorry I can't attach my workspace and crash reports - they are on my laptop at home.
---
Generic USB-DMX box(es)
Korg nanoKONTROL2
Windows 10
hplighting

Sounds like we're all using MIDI controllers - hope this gets fixed !
mcallegari

Can someone experiencing crashes please share a simple workspace that I can test on Windows/macOS to reproduce and fix ?

I get you are having issues with VC sliders controlled via MIDI, but I don't get what those sliders are doing. Are they controlling 100 channels ? A Function ? Submaster ?
Please help me to help you.