Malfunction of color display in 2D monitor for fixtures with several channels controlling color

Generic issues not specifically related to a QLC+ area.
Post here only if you can't really find the reason of an issue
WhiteHaired

The behavior of 2D monitor for fixtures with several channels that control colors, e.g. RGB channels + Preprogrammed Colors channel, is not successful or unexpected. In most cases, only the first color channel (or RGB channels) of the fixture, is considered in the displaying. Would it be possible that the 2D monitor took into account some indication of what channels determine the color every time and how (by priority, mixing colors, etc.)?

For example, for the fixture Stairville-MH-100-Beam-36x3-LED.qxf attached here, only the R, G and B channels are considered in the color display and the rest (White, White with Full Intensity and Adjustable Color Temperature and Preprogrammed Color Channel) are ignored.
Stairville-MH-100-Beam-36x3-LED.qxf
(7.91 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Moreover, if several heads for the different channels are defined, as the solution suggested in http://qlcplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9026, in our case, one head for RGB, one for the W channel, one for White with Full Intensity and Adjustable Color Temperature and one for Preprogrammed Color Channel, the heads for W and White With Adjustable Color Temperature are displayed always at full power, regardless of their faders.

Finally, another question related to the 2D monitor displaying. I’ve noticed that the inclusion of the key word "Strobe" in a range of values defining a channel shutter makes the 2D monitor represent color as a blinking light. Some other key words as “close”, “blackout” and “off”, make the shutter closed. Are there some other key words interpretable by the 2D monitor? It would be nice to have a list of such words. By the way, I suggest that the word “off” should be also included in the manual (in p.17 for version 4.10.4) as a key word that also closes the shutter on the 2D monitor to avoid confusions. For instance, if you write “off” in a range of values in a strobe (shutter) channel, you may expect that within this range the strobe doesn’t work and the shutter is open all the time, while it behaves as the opposite (the shutter is always closed).

Thank you in advance.
janosvitok

Hi,

thank you for your information. I've added link to this topic to https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/issues/696
Currently (meaning past few months) I'm working on proper handling of multiple dimmer channels - e.g. when there is a master dimmer and per head dimmer channels. When I finish that,
I may look in this issue.

As it is written in the github issue, we really need to allow the fixture creator describe behavior explicitly. Current version is a hack to do anything without changing fixture format.

In the meantime, can you write how the various channels interact? I see several ways to control the RGBW channels:

1. dimmer (channel 6) & strobe (13) -- I expect that these affect all RGBW channels regardless of the rest channels:
2. direct RGBW (channels 7..10)
3. Full White with color temperature (11)
4. Preprogrammed color (12)
5. Sound-controlled show (14)

My GLP Volkslicht which is also a LED wash moving head when I choose a preprogrammed color, it overrides direct RGB setting.
How does the MH-100 behave? Do the channels mix somehow or do they override each other? In what order/priority?

Jano
WhiteHaired

Hi Jano,

Thank you for your fast response.

By following your notation, i.e.
a) Direct RGBW (channels 7..10)
b) Full White with color temperature (11)
c) Preprogrammed color (12)
d) Sound-controlled show (14)

In MH-100: b) overrides a), c) overrides a) and b), and d) overrides a), b) and c).
The dimmer and strobe affect all channels, as you expected.

On the other hand, as I mentioned, the heads for W and White With Adjustable Color Temperature are displayed always at full power, regardless of their faders.

Finally, another question related to the 2D monitor displaying. I’ve noticed that the inclusion of the key word "Strobe" in a range of values defining a channel shutter makes the 2D monitor represent color as a blinking light. Some other key words as “close”, “blackout” and “off”, make the shutter closed. Are there some other key words interpretable by the 2D monitor? It would be nice to have a list of such words. By the way, I suggest that the word “off” should be also included in the manual (in p.17 for version 4.10.4) as a key word that also closes the shutter on the 2D monitor to avoid confusions. For instance, if you write “off” in a range of values in a strobe (shutter) channel, you may expect that within this range the strobe doesn’t work and the shutter is open all the time, while it behaves as the opposite (the shutter is always closed).

Thank you again.