remap fixture is still not reliable

Generic issues not specifically related to a QLC+ area.
Post here only if you can't really find the reason of an issue
giacomo

Linux 64, I'm useing qlcplus sometimes for a simple theatre tour and I've been always faceing problems with the "remap fixture" function, I've posted about it other times in the past.
If possible I try to avoid this feature but sometimes I've to use it, eg. today because I needed to double some lights (and no time to rewrite all the cues)
Qlcplus 4.10.4 since this summer, originaly the show was recorded with the precedent release: there're several groups and when I use the "remap fixture" all the groups get messed up, so in line all the rgb matrix and collections.
I don't know if it's related but as an extra all the cues get some fixtures added in the list but not enabled, so the cue outputs are correct.
If needed I can upload the last "remapped" file, I had the same issue 2/3 times (always) during this summer, today I'm sure I've not done anything exotic.
regards
Last edited by giacomo on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcallegari

Giacomo, debugging the remap feature is not easy at all, so please be cooperative and provide the necessary data to debug, otherwise your report can't be processed at all.

I need the original workspace, and the exact instructions of what I need to remap to reproduce what you've seen.
As a plus, a stripped workspace with just the essential functions/widgets to reproduce the issue would help to speed up the analysis.
giacomo

thanks for the reply Massimo, here 2 simple files:
I've remapped everything with the clone function and then I've added 2 dimmers, one is connected to the original dimmer 1, the second is connected to the original dimmer 5.
1 - you can see that the wash and spot groups do not corresponding anymore to the original show.
2 - if you compare the scenes, the one named "washes" has an addition of no. 3 VL3000 spots - they're not enabled so the output is not altered.

Qlcplus 4.10.4, debian 64, if it matters something for the debugging, I've quit and restarted Qlc before doing the remapping, as it hapens on a tour.

ps. in the fisxture manager there are 2 similar entries, Vari-Lite and Varilite, they both refer to the same manufacter.
Attachments
remap-test (remapped).qxw
(10.31 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
remap-test.qxw
(9.26 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Last edited by giacomo on Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giacomo

actually, watching the remapped files, I've noticed that the VL3000 spot no. 2,3,4 are not in the right group but they've been added in the wash group.
and they've been added in the "10 dimmers" scene as well in the "washes" scene.
can this suggest you something?
I've noticed the same beheaviour with the real show, the same random "selection" of fixtures was added in all the recorded scenes after a remapping - when not already used in the original scene.
Tasaei

Just for information:

Same behavior Mac OSX 10.11.6
Same Behavior win 10 and win 7
with QLC+ 4.10.4
mcallegari

Can you confirm this is the operation ?
Screenshot_20161029_163446.png
Cause after confirming it, the "wash" Scene looks ok to me:
Screenshot_20161029_163834.png
and these are the remapped fixtures
Screenshot_20161029_163953.png
giacomo

maybe I've found the clue:
if I remap following your scheme - adding the new fixtures in the end of the list - everything works fine and groups or scenes are correct;
if I remap adding the new fixtures right after the the cloned ones and I give them a precise number - as I do on the real venues to follow the new patch list - then it happens something wrong and the groups and cues get altered.
I'm enclosing a screenshot of the remapping and the file-remapped-wrong.
remap-test (remapped)-wrong.qxw
(10.21 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Attachments
Screenshot from 2016-10-31 11-16-09.png
mcallegari

Shouldn't be the cause - but - have you tried to give the new dimmers different names (like I did) ?

I need to check the code, but maybe the same name of existing fixtures is what's causing the issue.
giacomo

when I remapped, in both the cases the software has assigned the same name automatically, I've changed only the order.
mcallegari

There's a check box below saying "Remap fixture names". Just uncheck it when you remap the 2 new dimmers.
giacomo

I don't understand why you're asking to do this test again: the names were the same in both the cases but only with the second order the result was wrong, so it's not related to the names.
But I did, here the picture and I confirm the same wrong beheaviour.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2016-11-01 11-15-16.png
mcallegari

Sorry if my request bothered you
mcallegari

Should be fixed now on GIT.

Please test and report if it's fixed for you as well.
giacomo

Screenshot from 2016-11-03 14-45-23.png
a step better but still not right on my system:
the scenes are fine now, the fixture groups are still messed up.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2016-11-03 14-48-55.png
giacomo

hey Massimo,
just a question within the occasion, what about the SoftpatchEditor proposed by Offtools?
Actually, the idea of working with the "original" internal channels despite of the venue it's interesting because you don't have to change how you're refer to each fixtures, venue after venue.
I do work in this way too with other software, because the most common issue during a theatre tour it's that often it's not possible to respect the original wiring, so the least that can happen it's that fixtures that originally were plugged together are now plugged individually, and sometimes vice-versa as well.
mcallegari

Fixture groups remapping added on GIT
giacomo

Thanks Massimo.
tried with a simple file, scenes and groups are fine now.