Problem with Enttec DMX USB PRO MK2 + break out Midi Cable

Generic issues not specifically related to a QLC+ area.
Post here only if you can't really find the reason of an issue
daveweckl

Hi to all,
I've got a problem with enttec Dmx Usb Pro MK2 and your break out with midi cable.
I connected the MIDI IN of break out to Midi OUT of my keyboard Roland A30.
I run the QLC+ (4.10.4) and the program crash in most cases.
When don't crash, I try to play and does not work and the program crash.
I tried to connect an other keyboard (Yamaha Tyros 3) and an other PC, but the result is the same.
I tried the midi interface M-Audio USB uno and and everything works perfectly.

The O.S. are Windows 7 Professional and Home Premium 64 and 32 bit
The interface firmware is 4.10
The qlc setup is: Input - DMX usb Midi in Output: Dmx usb DMX1

Thank you all.
daveweckl

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks
titigab

I also have constant crashes while using PRO MK2 for DMX inputs under W7 & W10, 4.10.4 & 4.10.3a.
I think the problem is related even if I'm not using midi inputs. I read somewhere that logging cannot be toggled on with windows version ?
I will try with Debian in a few, on mac it does perfectly works (with same show files).
Thanks
avicr

Hi, I had the same problem with the USB PRO MK2 crashing on windows 10, and an additional issue with MIDI messages being dropped from my boss ES-8. I have fixed both of them by modifying the DMX USB plugin and would be happy to provide the DLL to both of you to see if that helps.
mgweber

avicr wrote:Hi, I had the same problem with the USB PRO MK2 crashing on windows 10, and an additional issue with MIDI messages being dropped from my boss ES-8. I have fixed both of them by modifying the DMX USB plugin and would be happy to provide the DLL to both of you to see if that helps.
Can you provide additional details or make this available? I have consistent issues with a system where QLC+ "quits unexpectedly" on windows 10 with a USB Pro Mk2. This has persisted across several versions. It is very frustrating and makes QLC+ unreliable to the point I am afraid to use it in our environment.
daveweckl

Hi,
I wrote to enttec and this is the reply: "Can you check the functionality with Pro-manager, including a MIDI test. This sounds like a software issue rather than a hardware. Kind Regards -=-=-=-=-=- "
I tested the midi port on the breakout cable with the female-female cable and the program Pro-Manager make "Midi loopback failed"
Then I tested the continuity on the breakout cable with the multimeter and the "gnd" (pin 2 - central) on the cable midi IN and does not esist!!!
I move the cable DMX IN and the tester buzz ring as if there is a bad contact.
I think the breakout is defective.

I would have preferred to do the larger chassis and put all the connections on it

The breakout cable project is wrong. midi cables must be female and not male!!! The cable midi standard in MALE - MALE and not FEMALE - MALE!!!

Dave Weckl.
janosvitok

Hi Dave

you can make your own breakout box: the PIN out is here: http://pinoutsguide.com/Home/enttec_DMX_pinout.shtml
I can't verify it (I don't have the device), but you easily can.

I'd take either 2 runs of Cat5 cable (pair A1: DMX1, pair A2: DMX1 GND, pair A3: DMX2, pair A4: DMX2 GND, pair B1: MIDI IN, pair B2: MIDI OUT, pair B3: MIDI OUT GND, pair B4: VCC 5V)
or AES/DMX 4 pair multicable like Tasker C804, and make a breakout box or 19" panel for the other side.

Jano
daveweckl

Thanks janosvitok for the scheme,
I sent the breakout cable to replace. In your scheme the MIDI IN GND in not exist. I think that this is the trouble.

Thanks to All!!!