Random Crashes :-(

Generic issues not specifically related to a QLC+ area.
Post here only if you can't really find the reason of an issue
hplighting

My Setup:
CPU: Intel Core i5
RAM: 8GB

Enntec PRO USB --> DMX
AKAI LPD8 USB MIDI Interface

When using QLC+ it seems to just randomly crash sometimes for no explainable reason. I'm currently using the latest version of the software although I've had the issue with previous versions as well as when using different computers .
The computer can be running for hours working fine and then suddenly it comes up with not responding which is quite awkward i the middle of a show :oops: To fix this I have to force close QLC and then reopen it and its back up and running ! any help with this would be appreciated as I can't carry on with this.
Please let me know if any other info is needed to help fix this - thanks for your time :-)
mbroskamp

I'm running into a very similar issue sporadically. QLC will be running, but after an hour or two it'll stop responding. I force-close the application, but in my case re-launching QLC+ brings up the window but the contents are never populated and after clicking around I get the not responding message again. I tried logging out of my account completely and re-logging in, but the same thing happens. Ultimately, I have to restart the computer and then QLC+ will open and operate normally.

This has happened at least 3 times since updating to 4.10.5b (about 3 weeks). We've been using QLC+ for roughly 2 years and I don't recall this issue ever happening prior to to installing 4.10.5b.

My specs are very similar:
CPU: Intel Core i5
RAM: 8GB

DMXKing Ultra DMX Micro
4 x Chauvet COLORado 1-Quad Tour

Functions:
1 x Chaser Function
20 x Scenes
hplighting

Hopefully someone will be able to help because I can't keep using the software with it crashing mid way through performances. It sounds like you have a slightly different issue because I only have to restart QLC to get it back - hopefully both issues are resolved :-)
DESIGNFactory

Happened to me too last night....luckily enough on exactly the last note of the gig :D !
I got a few clues on what causes it after 3-4 times it crashed in the middle of a performance:
(Akai APC mini // i3 Windows 10 Asus laptop // running QLC+ 4.10.5b // Work LM3 usb-Artnet interface )

Probable Causes:

- Fast slider input -and/or- multiple slider movement simultaneously
- Running matrix FX on multi-head fixtures (ie led bars) + dimming them on a slider
- Simultaneously running dual dimmer packs (ie 6+6 packs ) + moving or other mixed LED fixture types
- Pluging the APC mini on my single USB 3.0 port ( never crashed when plugged to other ports on the laptop )

Those are just clues, another probable cause could be lack of processing power on my laptop but i see many arduino or other lesser machines do the job...
btw i only need to restart QLC+, not windows to get it running again
hplighting

I wonder if it could have something to do with fast slider inputs?
I've had mine crash before when I was doing loads of quick inputs on a MIDI pad?

DESIGNFactory wrote:Happened to me too last night....luckily enough on exactly the last note of the gig :D !
I got a few clues on what causes it after 3-4 times it crashed in the middle of a performance:
(Akai APC mini // i3 Windows 10 Asus laptop // running QLC+ 4.10.5b // Work LM3 usb-Artnet interface )

Probable Causes:

- Fast slider input -and/or- multiple slider movement simultaneously
- Running matrix FX on multi-head fixtures (ie led bars) + dimming them on a slider
- Simultaneously running dual dimmer packs (ie 6+6 packs ) + moving or other mixed LED fixture types
- Pluging the APC mini on my single USB 3.0 port ( never crashed when plugged to other ports on the laptop )

Those are just clues, another probable cause could be lack of processing power on my laptop but i see many arduino or other lesser machines do the job...
btw i only need to restart QLC+, not windows to get it running again
DESIGNFactory

Yep .... CONFIRMED
did some testing on 3 pc's
it's rapid slider movement that does it
(jerking a slider fast or using many simultaneously, both with and without the artnet interface)
rudi

When you unplug the akai and plug in again and restart qlc the freeze problem is gone. That's why I make it crash with fast slider movements before the show ;)
jadaudiodesign

Hello everybody,

We have had the exact problems as you, we have had during our last two live concerts freezing, during the performance. We never had this problem before, using the old version of 4.8.5 qlc. We are very hesitant to continue using this new version during our live concerts, as we can not permit blackouts when re starting the system.While waiting for a solution to this problem, we are going back to the old version 4.8.5. We hope a solution can be found, as we really like the new version.

Thank you...the show must go on
JD&BB
Attachments
epi schema config qlc+.pdf
(308.15 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
mcallegari

Have you guys checked this thread and tested the test versions ? viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10757

I understand there is something specific to Windows about fast slider movements, but if I spend some time to investigate about it, I need exactly what to look at, otherwise it's a waste of my time.
So, can you please tell me how to reproduce the issue with a very simple project ?

If I connect a APC Mini to let's say 5 sliders in level mode, will I be able to reproduce the crash ? How many channels should I be controlling ? 1 ? 10 ? 100 ?
Should I have a DMX adapter connected as well, or it doesn't make any difference ?

In other words: the more details, the higher chance to get it resolved.
jadaudiodesign

Hello,

I did the test with QLC+_4.10.6.210.exe in the theater where i work. After 15 minutes it crashed.
Then I tested the QLC+_4.10.6.153.exe and tested for about an hour no chrash. We will be doing a rehearsal this afternoon for 3 hours, will keep you posted if there are no crashes...

Thank you so very much for your help.

JD
mcallegari

jadaudiodesign wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:32 am I did the test with QLC+_4.10.6.210.exe in the theater where i work. After 15 minutes it crashed.
Then I tested the QLC+_4.10.6.153.exe and tested for about an hour no chrash. We will be doing a rehearsal this afternoon for 3 hours, will keep you posted if there are no crashes...
Sorry but that's not the point. This thread mentioned a crash when moving VC sliders very fast.
Is that the same issue you're experiencing ? Otherwise you posted in the wrong thread (so see the one I linked before)
If that's the same issue, I need the exact configuration to reproduce the slider movements crash to speed up the issue resolution.
Thanks

EDIT: for the record, yesterday I tried to move 4 sliders controlling 5 channels each, with an AKAI APC mini, with the latest build on Windows 10.
No issue at all. I was about to break the plastic faders of the APC to reproduce the issue, with no luck.
antoinelgh

hello,

I have had the same problem during live shows.

I use AKAI mini apc midi with QLC + on my laptop (an old laptop ) with windows 10.

QLC is working just fine and everything is ok but during live show it just freeze my laptop very often.( i have to restart my computer ).

I have made some research and it might come from the usb hub. I think that the enttec + the apc mini + several usb (phone charger and so on...) are consuming to much power.

And when the power consumption is too high, windows freeze.

I will try to use an external USB HUB with external power supply . I think that the apc mini with all its button lite brings the power consumption to crash windows.

What do you think of my theory? I have read that this problem comes from akai apc mini. and in my case, the problem often comes when i have a lot of USB device plugged in.
antoinelgh

hi everyone,

i am trying everything to prevent my computer from crashing... I have noticed two things:

- When you move to fast simultanousely faders ==> it crashes.
-when i unplugged USB from laptop ( usb device ) ==> it crashes.

I tried to get a usb hub with external power supply... that's not it .

I have tried to downgrad QLC to the 4.8.5 as i read in this topic ==> it crashes to !!

I have notice that we all crash on win 10.

So i am going to go back to win 7 and if this dosen't work I will go back to freestyler even if i don't want to... :?

I hope a solution to this problem will be found soon ...

see ya !
mcallegari

Guys, do you want this issue to be resolved or not ?
Keep on saying it crashes, it crashes and it crashes doesn't help at all. I need DETAILS.

I tried to do my part here and here but no one seems to be able to actually contribute to help me reproduce the issue.
Therefore I'm not spending any time on this until some more information is provided.
antoinelgh

hi,

Tell me exactly what do you need and I will send it to you.

FYI I have tried it on linux ==> No problem.

my config:

Laptop HP win 10 64 bit
AKAI APC Mini
USB-DMX interface USB UART FT232 (driver up to date )
QLC+ (latest version)

On My Win 10 64 Bit laptop, i can make it crash in less than 15 seconds. I just open my project, plug my fixtures, and then i launch several functions.

Then i move the dimmers simultaneously ( 4 at the same time ) and in less than 10 sec it crashes.

what type of info do you need to reproduce the crash?

Thank you for your time and for that great software wich is QLC +
mcallegari

antoinelgh wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 8:01 am my config:
Laptop HP win 10 64 bit
AKAI APC Mini
USB-DMX interface USB UART FT232 (driver up to date )
QLC+ (latest version)
Have you tried the latest TEST version for Windows from this page ?
Can you share your project and indicate the operations you do to crash QLC+ ?

Thanks
antoinelgh

I will try it tonight and share my project.
I just need to reinstall win 7 ( broke my computer trying to install ubuntu :D )

thanks for your time
dino.loss

Hi,

Unfortunately I also have the same problem, cause this I can not use it live.
I did various tests and I managed to create a workspace as simple as possible to reproduce the crash.
Just move 6-7 slider (with AKAI APC) at the same time and after a few seconds the PC crashes, you have to restart it.
I tried it on 2 pcs, with windows 7 64.

my setup:
windows 7 64
QLC+ latest 4.11.0.48
AKAI APC MINI
generic usb dmx or ENTTEC PRO Mk2

I hope to be of help, thanks
Dino
Attachments
slider.qxw
(12.1 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
AKAI APC mini
Behringer Eurolight LC2412
Enttec DMX USB PRO MK2
Windows 7 64
mcallegari

Thanks to the project shared, I've finally been able to reproduce the issue (Windows 10 + QLC+ GIT)
The good news is that I've seen it, the bad news is that this isn't a crash, so I haven't been able to collect a crash log and fix the problem.

Basically this is a UI issue, which freezes QLC+. When frozen it is quite hard to kill it.
Also, I noticed that once QLC+ freezes, all the instances launched afterward don't seem to have the issue.

I need some more time to investigate this. The point I was missing in my previous tests was: sliders in playback mode. I always used sliders in level mode.
mcallegari

UPDATE
after 3 days of attempts, countless reboots and a huge Windows 10 update in between, I think I've been able to solve the issue.

Please test the latest test version (.65) and report if it works or if there's still something wrong.
Thanks