Community videos using QLC+

This is a place for sharing with the community the results you achieved with QLC+, as a sort of use case collection.
You can share photos, videos, personal hardware/software projects, interesting HOWTO that might help other users to achieve great results.
mcallegari

Hey George,
thanks for sharing this !

The Behringer X-Air looks like an interesting solution, so yes, if you have the chance, it would be interesting to see a video of the whole system running.
How do you communicate with the mixer from QLC+ ? Via MIDI ?
Is the mixer directly plugged via USB on the computer where QLC+ is running ?
gmint

Massimo,

First, while I'm not generally a big fan of Behringer stuff, this thing was just too cool to pass up (and really was the first unit to do exactly what I wanted). In fact, I have both an X-AIR 18 and an X-AIR 12. So far, they've been nothing but amazing.

With respect to QLC+, my first thought was to go with MIDI but given the amount of stuff I want to do with each button (it's much more than just turning one channel on in some cases) I would have had to use some sort of intermediary MIDI software which would have been fine but due to some of the other integration I did with this unit, it turned out to be easier and more elegant to use a QLC+ script to call a bash script that I wrote which, in turn, calls a little command line app (some guy put in a ton of work building various apps for the X-AIR mixers) to send OSC commands to the X-AIR. The X-AIR is simply on the same network as QLC+ but it's not directly connected to the same computer.

At this point, the only downside of this solution is that I've kind of faked the status of each audio channel. If one were to use the X-AIR application to change a channel, that change would not be reflected in QLC+. At some point, I might get around to seeing if I can fix that, but normally, that's not something that would be an issue so I'm not particularly worried about it.

I'll try to shoot a video of it shortly, but I have to say, the fact that I can do this in QLC+ is really a testament to the power of your software!
mcallegari

gmint wrote:First, while I'm not generally a big fan of Behringer stuff, this thing was just too cool to pass up (and really was the first unit to do exactly what I wanted). In fact, I have both an X-AIR 18 and an X-AIR 12. So far, they've been nothing but amazing.
I'm not a fan either of Behringer stuff, but on the X-Air it seems they adopted pieces of hardware from who is actually capable of doing audio (MIDAS)
With my band, we were used to make fun of this and say that every Behringer product is a "noise generator" :)
For the record, we had a MIDAS Venice mixer ;)
gmint wrote:[...] it turned out to be easier and more elegant to use a QLC+ script to call a bash script that I wrote which, in turn, calls a little command line app (some guy put in a ton of work building various apps for the X-AIR mixers) to send OSC commands to the X-AIR. The X-AIR is simply on the same network as QLC+ but it's not directly connected to the same computer.
I would say "the most elegant" solution is if QLC+ can directly send/receive OSC commands to/from the mixer !
If you like, we can start a new thread to discuss this, as I already thought it would be interesting to have a sort of configurable "path template" in the OSC plugin.
Right now it's fixed and it is: /#universe/dmx/#channel (this is where it happens)
Having more flexibility on that single line of code would open up a lot of interesting scenarios.
gmint wrote:I'll try to shoot a video of it shortly, but I have to say, the fact that I can do this in QLC+ is really a testament to the power of your software!
So glad QLC+ can cover this kind of usages as well !
gmint

mcallegari wrote:I'm not a fan either of Behringer stuff, but on the X-Air it seems they adopted pieces of hardware from who is actually capable of doing audio (MIDAS)
With my band, we were used to make fun of this and say that every Behringer product is a "noise generator" :)
For the record, we had a MIDAS Venice mixer ;)
Yeah, I hear that (no pun intended). I'm a big fan of Turbosound speakers (I have several pairs) and I wasn't quite sure what to think when Behringer bought them up as well...
mcallegari wrote: I would say "the most elegant" solution is if QLC+ can directly send/receive OSC commands to/from the mixer !
If you like, we can start a new thread to discuss this, as I already thought it would be interesting to have a sort of configurable "path template" in the OSC plugin.
Right now it's fixed and it is: /#universe/dmx/#channel (this is where it happens)
That would definitely be an awesome thing to have in QLC+! For your reference, the app I'm using came from here: https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32
If you ever end up getting one of these mixers, this is definitely a site to keep on hand. The app this guy built supports some level of two-way communication (or at least some sort of feedback) and a persistent connection to the mixer which is nice. I understand OSC only basically so I guess I'm not quite sure if you can just shoot a command at a device or if there needs to be a whole handshaking process or what. Nevertheless, this made it easy to do what I'm doing.

Ultimately, it would be really great if there were a way to program OSC commands similar to how DMX values are programmed from QLC+. That's not very clear so I'll give an example: Right now I can't fade a channel up or down, I just have to have it snap to a certain value (I could probably figure out a way to do this if I really, really wanted to--and had the time, but it's not worth it). It would be great if I could just make a couple of OSC "scenes" and fade between them! That's probably a pretty far out there idea, but I just thought I'd mention it!
janosvitok

Here is an old thread from Rick Brock about a Disney show with music, show file and youtube video of the result (sans actors).
I'm sure it's worth mentioning here so it doesn't get forgotten.
gmint

Massimo,

I finally got around to doing a little video of the X-Air and QLC+: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10156208901815533
mcallegari

gmint wrote:Massimo, I finally got around to doing a little video of the X-Air and QLC+: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10156208901815533
Thanks George !
I decided to open a new thread to continue this discussion. I had an idea, but I need your help to understand if it actually works.
Thanks !
bestdani

Hi, I just came across these two short videos I made using my smartphone while a friend and I were testing our light equipment we use when we DJ on small parties using QLC+.

I hope I'll remember to take some video shots when there's more action in the light and music the next time. ;-)

QLC+ Light test 1
QLC+ Light test 2
bestdani

Here's another video which is a compilation of some scenes we recorded with a webcam while we just did a "bedroom" (actually living room ;-)) LJ and DJ performance to test QLC+: Watch on YouTube.
Craounch

Hi, I recently used QLC+ to program 3 shows for the prom night of my school. I shot the show from the control room which was behind the stage, so the point of view is not perfect, but you can see globally how it looked like. :oops:

Equipment : 4 x ROGUE R2 Spot and 12 x MARTIN RUSH Par 2 RGBW+Zoom (+ Unique 2.1 for the fog).

I think it's a good example of what you can do with QLC+. It took me one week to program the 3 shows, and I did'nt program any before.
NB : I only based my show on the music, as I could'nt see the cheerleaders dance before. And when the stage is black on the video, in fact you could see a bit during the show, but my camera wasn't sensitive enough. :(

Thanks for any comment ! :D
PS : I attach the workspaces, feel free to reuse it if you want.
Attachments
Show (Centrale).qxw
(266.8 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
Show (Polytech).qxw
(292.67 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
Show (Mines) 2.qxw
(269.34 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
sketron

Craounch wrote:Hi, I recently used QLC+ to program 3 shows for the prom night of my school. I shot the show from the control room which was behind the stage, so the point of view is not perfect, but you can see globally how it looked like. :oops:
Equipment : 4 x ROGUE R2 Spot and 12 x MARTIN RUSH Par 2 RGBW+Zoom (+ Unique 2.1 for the fog).

I think it's a good example of what you can do with QLC+. It took me one week to program the 3 shows, and I did'nt program any before.
NB : I only based my show on the music, as I could'nt see the cheerleaders dance before. And when the stage is black on the video, in fact you could see a bit during the show, but my camera wasn't sensitive enough. :(

Thanks for any comment ! :D
PS : I attach the workspaces, feel free to reuse it if you want.
Thanks so much for have shared your project! I'm going to learn how to organize the interface and you do it very well.

Hi
mcallegari

Hi Craounch, thanks for sharing your experience. That's indeed a good example of the usage of the Show Manager.
karrika

Hi Craounch,

thanks for sharing. It is obvious that the lights were programmed before you saw the dancers as you said in your comment. The lights are pretty much stealing the show, things like this happens. But the lights go well with the music.

--
Cheers,
Karri
b_art

Hi,

First I want to say that I love the QLC+ software!
I made this video a couple of months ago with the showmanager. Here is the result:

mcallegari

Very nice one, thanks for sharing !
mattboston

A few months back I posted about what software/interfaces to use for a small pre-service Christmas light show. Here's the final result. Note, other than using a few lights (Chauvet 4Bar Tri's) for some DJ gigs and set them on sound mode, I've never programmed lights before(I'm a sound engineer, not a light engineer). Also there were a few songs programmed but this was the one that came out best. The final project used the following:

- QLC+
- Enttec Open DMX USB
- 2x Chauvet 4Bar Tri's
- 2x ADJ Ultrabar 12
- 2x Chauvet LED Par64 Tri-B
- 30x small generic brand RGB pars
- ADJ DynoFog II (used for smoke to come out of chimney)
- Froggy's Fog Snow Machine (coincidentally it was the only snow on Christmas Eve)

Also created the display box in a mid-century modern Christmas theme, was made from wood frame, with foam board as dividers and frosted plexiglass front.

mcallegari

mattboston wrote:A few months back I posted about what software/interfaces to use for a small pre-service Christmas light show. Here's the final result. Note, other than using a few lights (Chauvet 4Bar Tri's) for some DJ gigs and set them on sound mode, I've never programmed lights before(I'm a sound engineer, not a light engineer). Also there were a few songs programmed but this was the one that came out best.
Hi, thanks for sharing !
I hope you don't mind if I moved your post here. It seemed like the most appropriate place to me
mattboston

mcallegari wrote:
mattboston wrote:A few months back I posted about what software/interfaces to use for a small pre-service Christmas light show. Here's the final result. Note, other than using a few lights (Chauvet 4Bar Tri's) for some DJ gigs and set them on sound mode, I've never programmed lights before(I'm a sound engineer, not a light engineer). Also there were a few songs programmed but this was the one that came out best.
Hi, thanks for sharing !
I hope you don't mind if I moved your post here. It seemed like the most appropriate place to me
Ok, thank you very much. And thank you for working on QLC+
Krsound

I have attached the like to the winter dreams Christmas show I made with qlc and Resolume.
15 universes 2700 ish points of control.
- 6, 7x15w rgbw moving heads modified lens to beam
- 500 pixel half ball pixels
- 400 pixel strings w2801 and w2811
- 2 30w spot moving heads
- 2 Christie projectors and one Dell short throw projector
- 2 custom pc builds one with QLC+ and one with Resolume
- 1 pixlite 16, light o Rama 16ch dimmer and a China 12ch relay board
- 4 Martin fog machines
- 10 led pars 4 modified for the fog machines
- 2 snow machines
- 4 propane flame shooters 1 130psi flame cannon ( you will see it in the celebrate show)
- 1 rain nozzle.
I will take picture in the next week of controllers and upload
mcallegari

Krsound wrote:I have attached the like to the winter dreams Christmas show I made with qlc and Resolume.
Hey Kyle, thanks for sharing !
You have done an excellent job there ! Loved to see the RGB animations in action on such a big matrix :)