Raspberry Pi as Wifi DMX controller

This is a place for sharing with the community the results you achieved with QLC+, as a sort of use case collection.
You can share photos, videos, personal hardware/software projects, interesting HOWTO that might help other users to achieve great results.
doughadfield

I've been using the RPi version of QLCPLUS for a little while now, and it's so powerful it amazes me. The RPi (model 3, with built-in wifi) can be used as a passthrough wifi to DMX controller, but with QLCPLUS intellegence, so the workflow is as follows:
boot the Pi - it automatically comes up into wifi passthrough mode (input set to E1.31 on the wifi address, output set to UART). Run QLCPLUS on laptop, with output set to E1.31. Laptop qlcplus is now driving the lights through the Pi, which is acting as wifi to DMX interface.

Once the workspace has been configured and is working right, simply get onto the Pi web page from the laptop and download the workspace directly to the Pi. The whole show can now run natively from the Pi, and the laptop can be shut down and put away. the Pi web interface can be accessed from a tablet or phone, to operate the virtual console.

The above flexibility and functionality is truly amazing!! Especially for gigging bands like mine, where we don't have a dedicated lighting guy and laptops are cumbersome and risky to use on stage.

I'm an engineer by trade, so I made up a very cheap and easy uart to DMX adaptor, using an MC3487 chip (https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/mc3487.pdf) which cost less than £1 and can drive four separate DMX links from the Pi (single universe, but four cable daisy-chains). There are no components to worry about other than simply the chip itself (and perhaps a decoupling capacitor across the power pins) so it is incredibly simple and cheap to get going! If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll draw out the circuit for you. I built mine without even the need for a circuit board, just soldering directly to the chip pins, so the entire interface is actually built into the cable.

What an amazing product this is!! :-)

Doug
doughadfield

Hi again, I also posted this in the RPi section of the forum, where I also posted a description and circuit diagram of the MC3487 based interface.

Check it out ;-)

Doug
siegmund

For the record: Here is a direct link to the other post (: