DMX controller as MIDI input

This is a place for sharing with the community the results you achieved with QLC+, as a sort of use case collection.
You can share photos, videos, personal hardware/software projects, interesting HOWTO that might help other users to achieve great results.
remu

DMX controller as MIDI input

Post by remu » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:30 am

Hi everybody.

Few weeks ago i discovered QLC+, i was searching something easier to control in realtime than mydmx 2.0 that I used before.
I bought a kmtronic usb-dmx interface and now I use it with QLC+ and Lixada wireless dmx to control both led lights and dimmer for halogen lights for small theatre performances.
Now I have my old Starway Zuni 24ch DMX consolle unused.
My question is...is it possible and how I can use my old DMX interface as input command console for QLC+? I have to use the MIDI commands? Or I have to use DMX commands converted in some way? I have to buy an interface?

Thanks alot!

Daniele

siegmund

Re: DMX controller as MIDI input

Post by siegmund » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:29 pm

Hey,

you'll either need a USB-DMX (or better said DMX-USB) or MIDI-USB (assuming that your DMX console has a MIDI out) interface. Maybe your kmtronic is able to convert DMX signals to USB, but I don't know.

Regards,
siegmund

remu

Post by remu » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:06 am

Thank you siegmund.
I use kmtronic interface to send dmx signal from pc(usb) to lights.
The zuni console can send both dmx or midi command but I'm not able to understand how many midi commands can control.
But if you say me that I can use dmx commands to control qlc+ than I think it can be the solution. But I need to run a script to do this? Or is enought to have a dmx->usb interface?

siegmund

Post by siegmund » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:03 pm

remu wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:06 am
But I need to run a script to do this? Or is enought to have a dmx->usb interface?
You should just need a DMX->USB interface which is supported by QLC+.

GGGss

Post by GGGss » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:36 am

Then, use this DMX interface as an input. Whatever you do on your wing will be reflected in QLC+. Then you could manipulate using the 'triggers' from your wing to start stuff in QLC+.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escape from machines... they don't work anymore