Fixtures sharing guidelines

Here you can share your fixture definitions with the community
Massimo Callegari

When sharing a fixture there should be some things to be considered first:
  • A fixture should pass the online fixture validator to be accepted
  • A fixture should reflect the exact indications given in the product user manual
  • Fixtures with missing modes should be completed before sharing
  • Descriptions in languages other than English will not be accepted
  • If a fixture is OK for you, it doesn't mean it is OK for everyone. Do not abbreviate channel names for your own convenience, Other users using it might have difficulties with that
  • Do not write everything in caps. The Fixture Definition Editor will block you to 5 characters anyway
  • Double check the strings you enter for missing characters or typos
  • Please always remember to fill the physical information
  • If you're sharing a LED bar fixture, remember to include the heads on the appropriate modes
  • If your fixture has some named color presets, remember to add the Click & Go info. Details here: http://www.qlcplus.org/clickandgo.html
  • If your fixture has gobo channels and uses gobos not included in QLC+, you can share new gobos, but with a written permission from the gobos manufacturer. Most of them are covered by copyrights and might lead to legal issues
  • if you can, please share a link pointing to the product manual, so reviewing the definition will be faster and easier
If some or none of the above are followed, it means someone else will have to review your fixture, thus wasting his time.

Before starting to create a new fixture you should watch this video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3omuD6F9RI

Thanks
hosa8113

"Please always remember to fill the physical information of each mode"
Sorry for asking, but doesn't stay the physical information the same for each mode?
mcallegari

hosa8113 wrote:"Please always remember to fill the physical information of each mode"
Sorry for asking, but doesn't stay the physical information the same for each mode?
Usually yes, that's why I've added the copy/paste buttons long time ago.
However, there are fixtures that represent a family of products that have the same number of channels but different physical dimensions
Beckett

Massimo Callegari wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:33 pm When sharing a fixture there should be some things to be considered first:
  • A fixture should pass the online fixture validator to be accepted
  • A fixture should reflect the exact indications given in the product user manual
  • Fixtures with missing modes should be completed before sharing
  • Descriptions in languages other than English will not be accepted
  • If a fixture is OK for you, it doesn't mean it is OK for everyone. Do not abbreviate channel names for your own convenience, Other users using it might have difficulties with that
  • Do not write everything in caps. The Fixture Definition Editor will block you to 5 characters anyway
  • Double check the strings you enter for missing characters or typos
  • Please always remember to fill the physical information of each mode
  • If you're sharing a LED bar fixture, remember to include the heads on the appropriate modes
  • If your fixture has some named color presets, remember to add the Click & Go info. Details here: http://www.qlcplus.org/clickandgo.html
  • If your fixture has gobo channels and uses gobos not included in QLC+, you can share new gobos, but with a written permission from the gobos manufacturer. Most of them are covered by copyrights and might lead to legal issues
  • if you can, please share a link pointing to the product manual, so reviewing the definition will be faster and easier
If some or none of the above are followed, it means someone else will have to review your fixture, thus wasting his time.

Before starting to create a new fixture you should watch this video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3omuD6F9RI

Thanks
Thanks for the link.
brianosaur

Hi folks. I am validating my Chauvet 4 Bar Quad RGBA to contribute to the available fixtures and there is an issue that I don't think I can resolve. Channel 3 is a 3 part function depending on what the range-setting is in Channel 1 (Strobe {001-009}, Auto Speed {010-249} or Sound Sensitivity {250-255}). I get 2 errors on the validator "ERROR: channel <Strobe Speed and Sound> group should be set to 'Shutter') and also (ERROR: channel <Strobe Speed and Sound> group should be set to 'Speed). I am not sure how to resolve those. If I make it Speed, the error throws for Shutter and vice versa.

What would you suggest here?
mcallegari

brianosaur

Thanks for the info. I always envisioned that mutli-fucntion as set of 3 radio buttons, so the visual messed me up. I hope to get 2 fixtures up for people soon to enjoy. I got 90% of it right for my gig and it still worked great.
Dave71

Hi. New qlc+ user here and currently going through a learning curve.
I’ve a quick question about fixture definitions. I have some cheap equinox fixtures and the manuals are not very accurate. I’ve tested every channel on the fixtures with qlc+ simple desk and an anologue desk and found some of the features in the manual do not exist or the channel values are wrong.

If I were to add a fixture, should I add the correct data or just the data from the manual.

Thanks. Dave.
mcallegari

If I were to add a fixture, should I add the correct data or just the data from the manual.
The correct data of course! :)
Horst0815

Hi currently I am getting the error message "ERROR: In mode *, channel * cannot act on itself!" for all my channels (wildcard *).
I was not getting this message before, when creating my first definitions ~1,5a ago - has something changed in the requirements?
Please find the attached file and if possible, tell me what to change.
Attachments
EuroLite-LED-Super-Strobe-ABL.qxf
(48.36 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
edogawa

That's because in the Mode Editor you entered the same channels in "Acts on" column, which you shouldn't do. Just leave it unset.

It's a pity that the online documentation misses this info, I don't remember exactly but I think i read about it in some forum post...
Horst0815

Okay I was expecting this - did this before for all my definitions and did not get this message before, also fixtures were working fine - those are also already committed to the current version, as far as I know with this "bug".
mcallegari

This is not a bug, and there's mention of it in the documentation:
https://www.qlcplus.org/docs/html_en_EN/modeeditor.html
"Acts on" is used for related channels, like "gobo wheel" and "gobo wheel rotation". If there are multiple gobo wheels "acts on" specify explicitly the relationship,
It helps the preview engine to correlate different channels between them.
That's why I added this check. I received so many fixtures with all channels set to "act on" themselves (which doesn't make any sense guys...) and I got tired of fixing it.

@Horst0815: go check the definitions you submitted and you'll see how I fixed them before uploading.
https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/t ... s/fixtures
edogawa

You're right it's mentioned there, but the screenshot misses the column... thus I thought it's not documented and didn't even care to read on...
DizziD

Hi. New to QLC+.
I can't upload to the fixture validator. Linux (Ubunbtu 20.04) / Firefox. Clicking the Browse button does nothing.
I have created a fixture definition for a Chauvet EVE E50Z profile. It's pretty simple and I'm fairly confident but want to validate before sharing.

Another question, is there any where in the fixture editor to represent stobe rates e.g '0-29Hz'?
BjornRoesbeke

How should one handle unbranded Chinese fixtures? Should they be listed as "Generic" manufacturer?
Should i try to find some kind of identifier on the PCB or can i come up with a name myself?
What if it is rebranded by many distributors under different names? Is there a possibility to alias or symlink fixtures?
What if there are multiple firmware versions and/or hardware revisions of the same SKU?
For example, i have mini-washes by Lixada similar to the BeamZ MHL74 that have the same exterior but the controller PCB is different and the channel mapping is different, also there's a slight colour difference between them.
Respond or send a PM if any of my fixture definitions contains errors.