Deactivation of a fader

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
pade

Hi,

I use QLC+ for musical comedy, with musical part and normal theater part. For the theater part, I just need to adjust light intensity, with a fader. During musical part, I would like to create some show with color and automatic intensity variation. But it doesn't work because of the slider that control intensity.
Is there a way to deactivate a fader ?

Thanks
siegmund

Hi,

try putting the fader in a frame and deactivate the frame. Sharing a workspace might also help!
pade

I'm using QLC+ 4.8.5 on Debian Testing.
I try t put the slider in a solo frame and deactivate the frame, but it doesn't solve my problem.
I put an example workspace, with one RGB + Dimmer.
example.qxw
(6.01 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
I create a show that change the dimming, and a slider to also control the dimming.
As you could see, the dimming never goes below the slider value.
I read something about LTP/HTP, but don't really understood if it could help me.
siegmund

In your case/workspace, changing from HTP to LTP works. Read here about LTP/HTP: http://www.qlcplus.org/docs/concept.html
Often changing the behavior leads to several other problems, tell us if this is the case in your scenario.
bleurose

I added a feature request for this exact issue. I want to be able to set up a slider in VC that is HTP but acts like the Simple Desk sliders in that it can override any existing cue level for that channel(s) either up OR DOWN. Changing a fixture to LTP is NOT a good solution because that means that the LTP will happen for ALL cues and levels and that is usually the WRONG thing to do for an intensity channel. Most of the time, intensity should always be HTP, but there are moments when you want to override it (as you CAN do with Simple Desk but NOT with Virtual Console sliders) and have it ACT like an LTP but just for that moment.
siegmund

Remembered that a discussion regarding faders vs scenes already took place. Have a look at this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9131&hilit=fader+vs+scenes
bleurose

siegmund wrote:Remembered that a discussion regarding faders vs scenes already took place. Have a look at this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9131&hilit=fader+vs+scenes
Hi,

I read that thread and it didn't really address my issue. I have been playing around with HTP/LTP and I am not even sure THAT solves the problem. I set up four generic dimmers and set two of them to LTP (leaving the others to HTP) and I added four "LEVEL" sliders, one for each dimmer. When I run my cue list, no matter what levels I choose for the dimmers in the cue lists, the first two ALWAYS stay at zero if the sliders are at zero. Only the sliders have effect on dimmers #1 and #2 (the LTP ones). The cue list does nothing. That makes changing the channels to LTP useless for my purpose which is to use the sliders in the VC to "override" the levels in the cue list both up and down. I will prepare a complete example and a video showing the actions that I think are suspect and why I think we need a way to mark a slider in the VC to act like a slider in Simple Desk, i.e., to be able to "grab" a channel and override whatever else is going on in the VC (both up and down from the current level) and also to reset/release it back to its current setting OR to make the new setting the current setting (so that you can make "permanent" changes to levels in your cue lists pretty much automatically)

It will take me a few days but I will post this back by the end of the week.

Best,

Jon

PS - please don't anyone think I am criticizing QLC+. It is an AWESOME program and I have used it to do a LOT of things that would have been either difficult or much more expensive or both using standard brand equipment. That doesn't mean I don't want it to be better. And I am trying to dust off my C++ skills (which are horrible and out of date LOL) to see if I can handle some of the dev work myself. At least the simple stuff. I am all about digging in and trying to help solve problems rather than just complain about them. And I understand what it is to do volunteer work as well, all of my theater work is volunteer!