Select step in cue with fader when cue is not active

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
yokosuna

Hi, does anyone know how to select then next step
to be played with the fader when the cue is not activ ?
Last edited by yokosuna on Sat May 14, 2016 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcallegari

I don't think what you request is currently possible.
A Cue List (/Chaser) is a sequential list of steps and you can either move to the next or previous step depending on the Chaser direction.

Maybe to achieve what you want to do, I would create 2 Cue Lists, with identical copies of the same Chaser (do not attach the same function to both !). Then set the Side sliders to the "steps" behaviour and that should be it
bleurose

At first, I thought this was an "important" feature that was missing, but later I realized there is more to it than meets the eye. Since a chaser is a sequence of steps, you need to be aware that if you skip over some of the steps, the other intervening steps will not be executed and that MAY NOT BE WHAT YOU EXPECTED! For instance, if step one turns on light 1, step two ADDs light 2, step three ADDs light 3 and turns off light 1, skipping from step one to step three would leave you with ONLY light 3 on, because step 3 probably won't include the fixture for light 2 in it (it might, but it might not, depends on how you set it up).

If there was going to be a way to skip steps, there would have to be a way to indicate whether to "force" all intervening steps to execute "instantly" or not. I expect this is a lot of work to implement.

There have been times though when this would have been helpful, especially in terms of STARTING a cue list from someplace other than the first step. Sometimes if things get screwed up, the cue list stops running (or you accidentally stop it). Then starting it again moves it to the first cue. It WOULD be nice to have a way to START a cue list at an arbitrary cue and have it reflect the state of the cue list as if all the previous cues had been executed. Again, this would probably take some work to make happen.