Speed dial to control loopback function as audio trigger does

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
twardy90

Hi all.
  • :arrow: Circumstances
    I've just came up with amazing solution (thanks to this forum) with a one global audio trigger that controls a loopback function. Then the function is used as a generic driver for different cue lists to get the right music tempo.
  • :?: Question
    Now I am wondering can I achieve the same, but with DIAL widget? I want to tap the music tempo, so DIAL would set the loopback function in the same way that music beat does in the audio trigger automatically.
  • :idea: Motivation
    It would be great plan-b if something in the music signal will not work or just for silent tests.
Thanks for hints.

Regards,
Przemek
siegmund

Hey Przemek,
twardy90 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:28 pm Now I am wondering can I achieve the same, but with DIAL widget? I want to tap the music tempo, so DIAL would set the loopback function in the same way that music beat does in the audio trigger automatically.
Yes this should be possible. Just put the loopback function (scene) into the controlled functions of the speed dial widget in its preferences.

Regards,
siegmund
OddSocks

I've done this before.

Had the speed dial control a two step sequence of on/off to a loopback channel.

If I remember correctly I also had buttons under each stepped function to control a deviser / multiplier.
twardy90

Thanks for your assistance! Still I can't figure it out though.

Look:
I have one dummy function "AudioSignalTrigger" which has one dedicated dummy dimmer fixture "AudioSignal" set to 255.
This "AudioSignalTrigger" function is assigned to the Audio Trigger in VC and works perfectly (CueLists have this as <Next Cue> Input Universe).

What I did:
Created Dial on VC and added the same ""AudioSignalTrigger" to Functions tab, thought there are two parallel widgets to drive the function - but there is no reaction.
I also created dummy sequence where i set this dummy fixture to 0 and back to 255 and added to the Functions tab. Also no result. CueLists are dead.

I disabled the Audio Trigger on VC to aviod interfere, but also no result.

Hmm. Maybe do you have some sample workspaces to follow?
OddSocks

Hi,

Sorry, reread your OP.

Why not set the Audio trigger signal as an external input to the timer tap input?
twardy90

That's a smart idea ;) and I have also tried this.
Nevertheless, it still does not solve my problem - how to effectively control the loopback function from the dial...

I like this configuration since each cue list "Next' trigger I refer to this loopback.
siegmund

If "AudioSignalTrigger" is only a scene and you add it to the speed dial, nothing will happen except the fade times will be adjusted (nothing is started or anything). You'll need some kind of chaser or sequence with "AudioSignalTrigger" and it's corresponding off-scene in it. Add this chaser to the functions tab of the speed dial widget. Don't forget to start the chaser beforehand.
Without an example workspace file this is all just guessing, sorry....
twardy90

SOLVED

siegmund,
A chaser with the both functions to set <on> and <off> driven by dial was the solution.
I have not added the chaser to VC console previously, I guess thats why it was not working.
Now I have it working perfectly both ways with Audio or Manual Tap.

I even created a "TAP diode" by assigning button to the <on> function so I can see the signal comming back in the background either by audio or by tap :roll:

Thanks so much for your help.
Another reason to love the software and community. ;)
maquelle

Hi twardy90.

Can you share your workspace please ?
KangarooPete

Create a chase with 2 scenes of the same fixture, one set to on and the other set to off (make sure both are ticked, just one at 0 and the other at 255).

In VC create a button for the chase. Create a master Speed Dial and in its function choose the chase you just created.
Make sure that the chase button is enabled green and it should now work.
Please note that because one scene is set to "off" (0), that you will need to compensate for this in the master speed dial and set the multiple
to 1/2x or the slave speed dial will just tap at half speed.
Attachments
control loopback with speed dial.qxw
(10.87 KiB) Downloaded 50 times