Two Issues Using RGB Matrix Masks

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
ethanm3

Hello!

I've been using RGB Matrices for pixel mapping some custom LED projects and also for mappable fixtures like the Chauvet Intimidator Trio and the Elation ACL 360 Bar. Since I've been using this, I've been trying to figure out these two issues, and can't really figure out why they are happening and have been using unsatisfactory workarounds.

Using QLC+ 4.11.1 on OS X. These issues happen in the same way on PC as well, with LED tape controlled by an Advatek pixel controller as well as with DMX fixtures through my ENTTEC DMX USB Pro MKII and also over ArtNet to Capture, the visualization software I use. These issues are also visible on Simple Desk, so I'm pretty certain the issue is within QLC+.

Here is a video of both issues using the visualizer: https://youtu.be/rpOQzMwCyk8
Here is the project file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lenovb5r71qi ... e.qxw?dl=0

Issue 1: When using mask functions with any kind of fade out time, every time you switch between functions, it flashes to white and then fades out according to the fade out time, instead of fading the mask out. This makes this function somewhat useless for doing any kind of live mask changing.

Issue 2: When using a mask over the base function (a color setting of some kind) it works fine until you change the base layer scene. This changes the layering so that the mask is no longer recognized, even though it is still playing. This makes using a mask and changing the base color difficult to do.

Workarounds: For both of these issues, I have found that using the Animation Widget with presets solves the issue to some degree - I create a set of presets on a Widget for a base color matrix function, for all the colors I'll want, and I create a set of presets on a widget for a mask function, again with presets for the masks I'll want. This solves both of these issues that come with switching between functions. However, this is not a convenient way to do this - using presets, it is not possible to go back in and make any changes to a preset.

For example, if a Plasma (colors) matrix is a color base, if I want to modify it so there's more blue, I have to make an entirely new preset.

This is also not ideal because on many of these functions, the colors or the masks can have specific timing, which is the whole reason for having different functions for different purposes. Looking at the video as an example, the two masks I use in this have very different timing needs. The Stripes pattern looks great with no fade out time, whereas the Random Single pattern is best with a 1s fade out time.

All these workarounds are just fine and I can make it work, but it adds a lot of extra work for an outcome that isn't ideal. Do you think this would be an easy fix in terms of the coding, or no? This makes a big difference for those of us using QLC+ for Matrix work.
Ethan Moses
Founder / Manager
Savory Lighting Design
www.savorylights.com
siegmund

Hey,

I stumbled over issue #2 a lot of times. I'm not at all experienced in this part of the code, so could someone please have a look at it?
Thanks in advance!

Regards,
siegmund
mcallegari

Masks work like layers and are intended to be used in Collections.
What you see is a 'messed up' layer order.
One RGB matrix doesn't know anything about another RGB matrix and QLC+ cannot guess what you intended, so you need to instruct it properly by 'submitting layers' (starting Functions) in the proper stacking order. Thus: Collections.
siegmund

Thank you for pointing that out!