Programming blinder effect

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
tfahrner

Hello,

I just switched to qlc+ because it seems to have great possibilities so I am not very experienced in the usage of this software and i am sorry if my problem is easy to solve. I did some research on the internet but did not found anything that helped me.

So my problem is that I have some warm white LED Bars which I want to use as blinders and I wondered if it is possible to create some kind of afterglow effect like conventional blinders that because of their lamp don't just turn off but fade out. So the effect that I want to create should make the LED Bars be at 100% while I press the button but fade from 100% to 0% instead of just jumping to 0% when I release the button. Is sth. like this possible in QLC+?

Because english isnt my first language I am sorry if sth. is incomprehensible but I ll give my best to explain it again.

Best Regards
Tim
tfahrner

Hello,
as a short update: I thought I could solve my problem by creating a szene where I run the blinders at 100% and add a fade out time by clicking on the little clock symbol in the szene editor. To test it i added a button to the virtual console and link the created szene to it and define the button as a flash button. Because I currently have no access to any real fixture i used the DMX monitor to verify the fade out of the szene. When I click the button the channel fader jumps to 255 as I expected. The problem is that when i release te button it jumps back to 0 instead of fading out. Is this just a display error and in reality it would fade out?

Best Regards
Tim
Laoson

HEY
you what 1[ click full] 2 click to 0 like 5 sec fade]
tfahrner

Laoson wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:29 pm HEY
you what 1[ click full] 2 click to 0 like 5 sec fade]
Hey,

as I understand you you want to know what I am trying to achieve. So i want to have an button on the virtual console that causes the blinder to be at 100% as long as I press that button. As soon as I release the button I want the blinder to fade from 100% to 0% in a specific time.
So my attempt to solve this was creating a szene where my blinders are at 100% and add a fade out time(the little clock icon in the szene editor) of some seconds. The button on the virtual console that is mapped to this szene is configured as flash button. The problem is that the dmx monitor doesnt show any fading out. As i wasnt able to test it with a real fixture yet I am wondering whether this is just a error of the dmx monitor or whether I am doing sth wrong.

BR
Tim
GGGss

tfahrner wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:44 pm Hello,
as a short update: I thought I could solve my problem by creating a szene where I run the blinders at 100% and add a fade out time by clicking on the little clock symbol in the szene editor. To test it i added a button to the virtual console and link the created szene to it and define the button as a flash button. Because I currently have no access to any real fixture i used the DMX monitor to verify the fade out of the szene. When I click the button the channel fader jumps to 255 as I expected. The problem is that when i release te button it jumps back to 0 instead of fading out. Is this just a display error and in reality it would fade out?

Best Regards
Tim
This is what you can expect from a 'flash'-button ... do the same with a regular button and it will do the fade
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
tfahrner

GGGss wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:25 pm This is what you can expect from a 'flash'-button ... do the same with a regular button and it will do the fade
Ok thank you for your explanation! It works if I change the button type.

But is it really that absurd that a flash button plays those "animations" too? I would like to make a feature request in this forum but maybe I just misunderstand the purpose of that flash functionality. So are there any points that are against that animations on flash buttons?

BR
Tim
GGGss

It's not the fault of the flash button that your fixtures go too fast...
If you wanted to have a fast flash with regular bulbs you had to make sure that the filament was already at temperature - so you used a 'pre-gain' all the time.
When you flashed instatanily the lights went up - altough with some delay... letting the button go the filament needed some time to cool down... so the well known delay.

Instead of changing the flash-behaviour, which may not happen (flash stays flash),
An interesting new function could be: a one-shot start kind of button.
Behind it you could hang a cue-list. In that list you could add all the mambo-jambo you needed. This list would run as long as it has properties...

Wait a minute - will try something
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
tfahrner

GGGss wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:27 am It's not the fault of the flash button that your fixtures go too fast...
If you wanted to have a fast flash with regular bulbs you had to make sure that the filament was already at temperature - so you used a 'pre-gain' all the time.
When you flashed instatanily the lights went up - altough with some delay... letting the button go the filament needed some time to cool down... so the well known delay.

Instead of changing the flash-behaviour, which may not happen (flash stays flash),
An interesting new function could be: a one-shot start kind of button.
Behind it you could hang a cue-list. In that list you could add all the mambo-jambo you needed. This list would run as long as it has properties...

Wait a minute - will try something
Yeah I know why these old bulbs hat that fade out and i wanted to create that effect with my leds because in my oppinion it looks nicer when it has that "classic" blind effect

I lately have been very bussy so sry for not replying that fast.

I am really happy that you take your time explaining to me and have to say thank you!

I still dont get why flash button shouldnt do those animations. For me there is no logical difference between those two for me its just a different behavior (switch between 0/1 and 1 as long as it is pressed otherwise 0) so for me both have the same intention without further meaning.

But I guess i am wrong right?

BR
Tim
OddSocks

Hi ,

I wondered about this at one point and can't remember if this is something I came up with or some one else did :roll:

If you look at the attached folder it uses the loopback to control a standard scene. The flash button is piped to the loopback universe with extra pushes enabled so that each time the button is pressed it enables then disables the standard scene.

With this setup you can adjust the fade in and out time of your flash by adjusting the timing on the standard scenes.

Hope this helps, have fun.
Attachments
Fade flashes.zip
(1.74 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
kenact

Just a thought.

Create 2 scenes:
1. Blinders at 255
2. Blinders at 10 to 15

Create a chase with both scenes:

In the first step, set the fade in to 0, fade out to 1, and duration to infinity.
In the second step, set the fade in to 1, fade out to 3, and duration to 0.

When you use the Chase on your Virtual Console, the first step will bring up your blinders full, and when you go to the second step, the lights will immediately go to 15 (or whatever value works for you), and then take 3 more seconds to completely fade. Of course you can set the fade on the second step to 1 or 2 seconds, to make it look more "natural".