Setup scenes using external DMX board

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
DaS

Hi,

I've been testing out QLCPlus for a few months and have a question I can't seem to get answered in the documentation. Can I setup scenes using an external input such as DMX or even OSC? I can map these to widgets in Virtual Console to control things live. However, I can't seem to work out if it's possible to use these inputs to setup scenes.

I'm due to use it live for the first time in Dec for a pantomime so currently just testing.

By the way, it's fantastic software and amazing what you can do with it!

thanks

David
GGGss

I'm sorry - with the current version you can't
But what you could do is have a desk sending DMX signals to an input-universe and use the passthrough feature to send those signals out to hardwired DMX.
While QLC+ is in live mode use the wing-sliders to setup your values and use the DMX-dump feature to create scenes inside QLC+
This will work allright only using dimmers - for heads this won't be a workable approach.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
DaS

Thanks for the reply. I am only using dimmers so I'll look at your idea.

I have had a play with DMX dump. This will work for creating new scenes. The issue will be editing existing as I see the you don't have the option to update existing ones.

I'm currently setting up the basic scenes and structure for the panto 'offline' using only DMX monitor to get an idea. We hire the lights just before the dress and performances so it's then I will need to edit the already existing scenes once I can really see what they look like. Does this make sense?

It will be easier to edit from a physical desk that using a mouse.
DaS

Sorry, I've just found how to overwrite an existing scene. I missed the button on the right.

This is good so I can setup and then DMX dump into my scenes