MIDI Triggers Not Working

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
tbutler

I'm trying to set up QLC+ to accept MIDI input from another program I have running on the same macOS computer. It seems to be connecting OK, but it ultimately doesn't work for control. Here is what I've tried:

1.) Enable the MIDI IAC driver in QLC+.

2.) Create a profile and then use the automatic mode to detect the signals the other program sends (which works just fine -- it detects the MIDI notes accurately and creates buttons for them).

3.) Assign those in the "External Input" section of buttons I put on the virtual console either manually or using the "Auto Detect" function. (If I use "Auto Detect" and send a MIDI signal that I already dealt with in #2, it correctly recalls it with whatever name I gave it back in #2.)

4.) Go "live" and try to use the MIDI signals to control QLC+. Nothing happens.

So the problem seems to be while QLC+ is receiving the input, it doesn't trigger the virtual console controls I associate with those MIDI signals. Is there something obvious I need to do? A good way to debug where the problem is appearing?
GGGss

out of curiosity... did you use a seperate universe for you inputs?
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
tbutler

No, I didn't. Would that be better do you think?
tbutler

Update: I tried moving it to a different universe. Again, "Auto Detect" on the virtual console seems to pick up the cue from the MIDI device just fine, but if I go to live mode, there is no indication anything is triggered at all.
siegmund

Yes, it is recommended to separate DMX and MIDI universes.
Anyway, please share your workspace file here so we can have a look at it.
tbutler

Here is a link to the latest version on Dropbox (the attach function won't let me attach it). Thank you!

(Right now only the "FaithTree Green" button has an assigned control from the MIDI input. The others haven't be reconfigured since I moved the MIDI controller to a different universe.)
tbutler

Could it be something wrong with my file that I attached? Everything looks OK to me... I just cannot figure out why QLC+ is receiving MIDI signals, but they just don't trigger anything when live. It seems like I'm missing something obvious.
siegmund

Well if I open the file, there is MIDI Through Port-0 assigned as input for universe 2. So I assume this is your MIDI universe. In the virtual console, most of the buttons have input universe 2 assigned as external input. This will not work if MIDI comes in on universe two and the external input of buttons is set to universe 1.
tbutler

Hi, siegmund, thanks. Yes, only the "FaithTree Green" button has been corrected since I moved the MIDI to universe 2. But even that one won't trigger right now.
siegmund

Okay.
I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas with this issue...
GGGss

so we have established 'some' midi coming in right?
next test: can you assign a midi-command to a VC knob through auto-detect? (not selecting it through the profile you made)
next test: 'destroy' your input-profile so QLC doesn't know about it. (delete the profile in your project, save & restart QLC & load project)
.. is midi coming in? Universe checking joystick wiggling
.. can you assign midi to a VC knob through auto-detect?
if the last one is YES and it still doesn't work going 'live' then I'm also out of ideas... it must be something internal then. (Maybe QLC cannot open midi-interface going live)

Suc6
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
tbutler

Is there any way to get a debug log from QLC+ so I could see where the point of failure is? Thanks!
siegmund

tbutler wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:04 pm Is there any way to get a debug log from QLC+ so I could see where the point of failure is? Thanks!
Try the -d command line option
tbutler

Interesting -- if I start with a new project, and remove the profile as you suggested, I can move the virtual knob with the MIDI control. Could it be my project is just corrupted? Thanks so much for your help!

UPDATE: With the profile deleted, it works with my other project too -- it just lacks all the nice labels I had put into the profile. Is the existence of a profile the problem, do you think? Or was it just a corrupt profile?
siegmund

tbutler wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:00 pm UPDATE: With the profile deleted, it works with my other project too -- it just lacks all the nice labels I had put into the profile. Is the existence of a profile the problem, do you think? Or was it just a corrupt profile?
You could sort that out by creating a new profile and see if it works then. If yes, it was a corrupted profile, if not then there maybe is a bug somewhere..