PreSonus Faderport as external controller

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
andrewh

Hi,

I've bought a second-hand PreSonus Faderport with the hope that I can use it to trigger QLC+. However, it's proving very difficult to get it going.

I use QLC+ in a theatre environment, mostly with a cuelist running a single chaser. We need something to ensure accurate and reliable triggering of cue steps; the mouse doesn't quite cut it, as you can slide off the onscreen button and fail to trigger the next cue. I have tried pad controllers like Novation LaunchControl, but found them to be a bit lacking in tactile feedback; they don't click, so you have no confidence that the cue has been run.

PreSonus Faderport has better buttons. Additionally, it has a fader, which might be handy to run manual fades in the future.

So, my questions are as follows:

a) Has anyone managed to create a working input profile for this controller in QLC+?
b) If not, can anyone suggest why it might not be working?

The problem I am having is in getting the fader and the buttons to be recognised together. The Faderport seems to offer two modes: Mackie HUI Emulation and Native (Mackie Control protocol, I think.) In HUI emulation mode, the buttons work fine, but the fader sends no control data; I suspect the fader is not supported in this mode. In native mode, the fader works fine, but the buttons trigger only once, after which they do nothing.

Native mode seems the one to continue with, as the fader might be an option. However, QLC+ won't accept more than a single command in this mode. Using MIDI-OX (I'm on Windows) and LoopBe30 I can see that the Faderport generates key aftertouch messages, one for each button down and another on button up (release.)

For example, here's the two MIDI messages when pressing (and releasing) the 'Play' button:

TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT
001D6ECF 1 -- A0 06 01 1 F#-1 Key Aftertouch
001D6F74 1 -- A0 06 00 1 F#-1 Key Aftertouch

This correctly triggers QLC+ on first click, but after the first press, it does nothing. On the Input/Output tab, each and every button press is recognised - a little joystick symbol is shown every time the button is pressed. However, the cue list refuses to advance more than once. Each button works once, after which it is ignored by the Virtual Console until QLC+ is closed and reopened.

Any help gratefully received.
Last edited by andrewh on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
andrewh

Oh, I should say that I have installed Ardour, a DAW software, and proven that the Faderport works correctly. There are no problems with the hardware. It's something to do with QLC+ and its recognition of the MIDI messages.

I have tried both of the tickboxes in the QLC+ input profile associated with generation of additional messages, neither seem to help.

Confused!
calimedia

Hello. I also try to work with Faderport 8 but have some Problems.

When Faderport is running in "normal" mode, it is possible to assign all the buttons and the first fader. I use profile "none". Unfortunately it is not possible to work with faders 2-8, no matter which profile i tried.

Faderport has also a dedicated "MIDI Mode" where it sends simple MIDI-CC-messages. There is even a list in the manual Solo-Button 1 is MIDI CC23 for example. I also tested that with a DAW and it works. Somehow QLC+ (4.12.4) doesn't receive any MIDI-CC-messages when Faderport is running in MIDI-mode, except for all 8 faders. In this mode it works perfectly with all 8 faders but not a single button. That is really strange. I even tested several profiles but, nothing changes.

I couldn't find a solution. Did someone else had similar problems or even a solution...?
Help would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.
Yestalgia

Hey guys

I'm taking a look into this and will report back when I've done some testing.

Cheers,
Lachie
Yestalgia

See post below for details. Make sure it's in StudioOne mode.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15878