Reusable VC Template for Midi Controller

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
ethanm3

Hello!

I'm wondering if there is a way to save and import a template into the Virtual Console. What I mean is, can I take a frame and bring all of the widgets, midi mapping, etc. into a different project altogether? Here is specifically what I would like to do:

I bought an Akai APC Mini to use for my lighting gigs. I would like to build a template frame that has buttons and sliders mapped to visually match the APC Mini. Then, in whatever show I have created, I can attach functions to the buttons as fits the project. The specific functions will vary between projects, of course, but it would be really nice to be able to just drop in my template and have that mapped and ready.

Is this possible?

Thank you!

Ethan
Ethan Moses
Founder / Manager
Savory Lighting Design
www.savorylights.com
filipek.o

Project files are just xml, so if you would look closer to the srtucture you might have succes in only copying the right piece of code with the frame you are talkig about.. but there might be a lot of crashes before you gonna succed:)
siegmund

filipek.o wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:56 pm Project files are just xml, so if you would look closer to the srtucture you might have succes in only copying the right piece of code with the frame you are talkig about.. but there might be a lot of crashes before you gonna succed:)
Absolutely right, so your 3 best friends will be: backups, backups, backups!
ethanm3

Okay, that makes sense. And I would also have to paste that into the xml file of the new project? And I would figure out what that would look like by backing up and testing, and just playing with it to figure it out, right?
Ethan Moses
Founder / Manager
Savory Lighting Design
www.savorylights.com
siegmund

I recommend putting all the controls you want to copy in one frame, then play around a bit with creating a frame in a new workspace, see how it looks like in xml and you will be able to paste the template in the new workspace soon. It is pretty straightforward.
ethanm3

Right on, thanks! I have very little experience with code so this will be a good learning challenge! Thanks for all your help!
Ethan Moses
Founder / Manager
Savory Lighting Design
www.savorylights.com
ethanm3

For other people wondering the same - I looked through my template .xml file in TextEdit and found <VirtualConsole> and copied all of that until </VirtualConsole> and pasted all that code into the same on my target file, and everything copied over great! I think that it will be easiest if there is nothing already in the target file's virtual console, so it can just be a clean paste.

Thanks for all the help!!

Ethan
Ethan Moses
Founder / Manager
Savory Lighting Design
www.savorylights.com