Help for new setup for Band

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
donsimpson12

Hello everyone,

We have QLC and previous Light Engineers used the Software in the past. We are currently loosing a Light Guy that ran things the old fashioned way and honestly, some things he did was cool, but he does not tailor his lights for a concert style setup. He mainly follows a Disco / Dance Club setup.
This is not conducive for a professional style band that creates a concert style setting.
The Band performs Classic Rock, Some Country and some DooWop Oldies.
6 Piece Band
Drummer Center Back
Keyboard player on each side of Drum Riser
Three people on the front line.

We have three truss set ups for
1 = Front for stage lights on musicians
1 = Over Drum Riser for lighting and effects on the drummer
1= Backline for flash that aims out and down.

I'm learning the Software, but I'm looking for some creativity help for some things.
I can take pics of fixtures and par bars, etc.. But I'm interested in what some of you may like to come up with.
Setups for Live performance. Then later I'm thinking Midi or sound trigger for certain songs, etc..

Qty 16 - Chauvet DJ SlimPAR Q12 USB RGBA Par
old - Qty 15 - Chauvet LED-Par 196
Qty 6 - American DJ Micro Wash RGBW
Qty 4 - Chauvet Intimidator Scan LED 300
Qty 2 Chauvet Hemisphere 5.1

Qty 2 Chauvet ColorStrip Mini
Qty 1 Chauvet Haze 2
Qty 2 Chauvet DJ 4-LED RGBA+UV Vertical Fog

Latest version downloaded from website
Dell Notebook - Windows 7
Akai - APC Mini - usb/midi pad with faders.
Enttec DmX Pro MK2

We are looking to retire some things and add other newer cool lights very very soon as well.

Thanks,
Don
DJPoppyD

I would dump all but the par cans - keep for your stage washes - and get a few moving head lights for effects use.
There is a big difference between concert and night club disco style lighting
do not try to light the musos's they move to much - light the stage the space they work in- if really need to, use follow spots - the name sort of gives it away
do not use the back bar for lighting the drummer - keep that for your crowd blinders - only light the stage from the front or side

one of my trade tricks is, i light drum kit from the floor / below - lights bouncing of the cymbals and kit looks amazing - drummers always say when they work with me they end up sunburnt.
GGGss

As previous poster did mention... contrast is the trick.
You cannot light persons as being an object ... the musso's are a piece of art on their own on stage... (facial expression, the way they play and dance, the way they go up into the music...)
So IMHO it's better to give them the right mood to play in ... sad = blue, reggea is green/yellow, etc
The thing is to give the musso's enough frontlight but at the same time enough contrasting back-light. (As previous poster mentioned : drums = yellow from above / blue from low behind f.i. = works miracles)

Reading your post again: you are looking for an artistic input ... this only comes with taste and experience - and with that I don't think we can help you in 1-2-3.
I'd suggest to you that you'd hire a experienced (pro) with your existing gear and see what comes out of it. After that I'd shift budget over to new gear and have the girl/guy another (paid) go.

What you requested is a 'trimmed' show to the playlist you planned... we engineers don't have the luxury to know what will come and program our desk in such a way that we can busk a show together in zero time going live.
That means, seeing your gear, I'd been busy for 3-4 (paying) hours to make a buskable setup. When you guys come up the stage I'd be happy to comfort you with a light setup (show) to my approval and experience. I'd need 2 to 3 songs to learn your style and energy. And again you will surprise me with #6 going totally the wrong way in my mind. Again it's a personal choice / flavour.
Seeing 'waves' in the crowd behaviour in front of the stage I'd over-exaggerate the crowd's light experience (flashes to high hats - quick head moves etc). Seeing a low pace crowd moving I'd concentrate the lights to the bass patterns (to get them going). Once arms go up / bodies swirling snake-wise I'd concentrate more to emphasise the mood on stage and once the bomb has been introduced I'd go crazy on the crowd again...

As you know every crowd is different and responds differently to input (music / lights). There is why we (light engineers) choose to have a buskable desk... Your pre-programmed wedding gig can go right with the uncles being totally wasted - the same gig in open nature will look oh-so-over-the-top-over-exaggerated (what the hell is the LJ thinking/doing?)

Studying live-shows ala Dire-Straights / the Orb / U2 / Pink Floyd / ... They all are based on a click-tape starting 3-4h BEFORE the gig ... E V E R y T H I N G is timed to second precision based on the click-tape's info. The only way to get the crowd in-shape before the gig.
Guess what an investment of labour hours that requires... <- this is what you ask us to do.

And no - beside giving you general info - you cannot ask people, earning their living doing lights, to program you something, you'd possibly won't like, in their free time...
To be bold: ask me again in 20 years or so = then I'm retired and might be willing to help you (if my pension is large enough to withhold my living standard).

Now I'll enjoy my night's rest having some sweet Alabama blues overriding my tinnitus and be ready for the next BUSKABLE setup in 8 hours... Rise & shine Fredje ;-) Sleepwell...

PS: DO - please DO donate to Massimo as I did before this post ;-) I earn using his' ... he is possible struggling between jobs delivering a QLC+ version, we all like, and his investment in time should be well honored to some extra cash for his lady... (if you know what I mean)
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore