Layers of Masks

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
ethanm3

Hello!

I am trying to build a show using RGB pars and controlling them with RGB Matrices with mask blending, but I'm having some issues in Operate Mode. For the VC, I would like to have one frame for the color "backgrounds" with cool color designs like plasma, gradients, etc, and one frame with the mask layer for cool pattern effects like stripes, random single, squares, etc.

I have tried to work out this issue in a couple different ways, but basically here's my issue: when I have a mask running and I change the "background" color function, the fixtures no longer are effected by the mask, and I have to launch that function again in order to get the masked pattern.

Is there a way to make it so that I don't have to relaunch my mask function when I change backgrounds to keep that pattern running? I have tried using all functions in one frame, solo frames, no frame, etc. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Ethan Moses
Founder / Manager
Savory Lighting Design
www.savorylights.com
ethanm3

One partial solution I just discovered is to use the Animation Widget as my color background function. Launching the Animation widget first and then the mask mode Matrix works, and I can change the presets without overriding the mask like I would if I were using separate scenes. This seems to be a little less flexible than creating RGB matrix functions for color backgrounds - I like being able to edit the variables in the matrix functions, which you cannot do in the animation widget presets (or am I missing something?) and I haven't been able to figure out how to do a solid color on the Animation Widget, there is no option for plain color.

Am I missing anything? Should I write this up as a feature request instead of a usage question?

Thanks for your help!

Ethan
Ethan Moses
Founder / Manager
Savory Lighting Design
www.savorylights.com
siegmund

Hey,

sorry for the (very) late reply but this topic is very interesting for me, too. Can you please provide an example workspace to illustrate the problem?

Regards,
siegmund