Using QLC+ with thousands of channels

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
enbyted2

Hi all!

Soon I'll be making club lighting (permanent installation) and I'm debating about software to control it.

I'll be using ArtNet to control it all, it'll be about 15.000 channels.
This includes 2 big LED matrices (pixel mappings not following any specific order because technical limitations ).

Actual lights control will be done using custom software that will generate OSC/MIDI commands for QLC+ console.

Has anyone any experience with QLC+ with so many channels?
What kind of hardware would I have to use to run it? What OS would you recommend with QLC+?
janosvitok

I don't have the experience, but you can gain one -- just start QLC+ and add as many pixels as you need. (Maybe I'll do that sometime just to see how it works...)
If you want to control QLC+ from external software, you may split the load to several machines if you can split the RGB Matrices or the effect is deterministic (e.g. plasma effect is not).

If you need one big matrix, you can run more machines for failover, but each will need to compute the whole matrix, and even then each plasma will look different.

I think Linux is the best platform for this, unless you need also some Windows-only/Mac-only software (at least from my developer's point of view).

HW: as I said, I don't know what computer is needed. Then you'll need some artnet nodes and network.

If you need more info, ask.