Parking DMX (theatre based)

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
GGGss

Maybe a silly solution thinking about your problems...
Repatch the channels to a dimmerpack(s) that sits in a different physical universe and use a second instance of QLC holding them @255
Or are the dimmerpacks not reachable so you can't repatch them?
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
silkstg

Hi Fredje,

I wouldn't say it was a silly solution but yes unfortunately the dimmer packs are usually hardwired into a locked cupboard somewhere remote and the DMX addresses are unchangeable.
Part of the reason I enjoy this software is the ability to repatch so easily as every theatre wants you to fit in around their set up.
If I was touring a complete package then it would work.
Although if I was touring a complete package there would be hot power units with proper mains distribution to each light.
mcallegari

Repatch the channels to a dimmerpack(s) that sits in a different physical universe and use a second instance of QLC holding them @255
And since you're suggesting this, you know for sure that 2 instances of QLC+ (not QLC) work together, right ?
Not considering that they would both be using the same DMX adapter, which doesn't work at all.

Instead, this whole thread made me think we have channel modifiers, but I'm not sure I fully understand the parking issue.
Basically you can draw a flat line modifier and assign it to the channels involved in parking. That acts at the end of the whole QLC+ DMX chain, but (if I remember correctly) before the grand master.
Dunno if it is of any help.
janosvitok

mcallegari wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 2:07 pm That acts at the end of the whole QLC+ DMX chain, but (if I remember correctly) before the grand master.
It's after GM. https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/b ... e.cpp#L385
I've made it intentionally after GM so that limits imposed by channel modifiers are not disrupted by any other mechanism.

Only blackout doesn't honor channel modifiers: https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/b ... p.cpp#L103
The fix for this is easy to implement.

We may provide a channel modifier template "Always ON", "Always OFF", "Always 50%".
Baer

QLC+ is so huge that one can easyly forget or overlook such a function....

But this looks like a good solution as soon as blackout also leaves the channels as they are...

I think nobody want's to repower his fixutres on pressing blackout...
Especially fixtures with discharge lamp ;)
GGGss

mcallegari wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 2:07 pm And since you're suggesting this, you know for sure that 2 instances of QLC+ (not QLC) work together, right ?
Not considering that they would both be using the same DMX adapter, which doesn't work at all.
Massimo,
Sorry for the confusion ... With second instance I was trying to say build a second QLC+ environment (eq 2nd controller, 2nd PC or Raspi) and have those set fixed @255
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
janosvitok

I've added Always Full, Always 50% and Always Off templates. https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/t ... stemplates
They seem to be applied on the first value change. After that, even simple desk can't change the value.
Blackout and Universe passthrough still affect the output. BO sets to 0, passthrough is merged HTP with the fixed value. Since your desired output is 255, HTP will not change it.
janosvitok

I've (hopefully fixed) channel modifiers for blackout. See https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/pull/967
Please test if you can.

Obviously, there may be bugs (and probably are) so if you fry your lamps, don't complain here! ;)
silkstg

Hi Jano,

That's great thank you, I've had a quick sample of it and on the DMX output view on the software it's locked at full except when you click on Blackout. I don't use the Blackout button so it's not an issue for me.
Thank you for responding to this so quickly, this is one of the reasons I really like this software, the support is phenomenal.

Kind regards

Tom
Pace

Hello all !!!

On tour, almost every theater ask to "park" some dimmers, mainly for safety reasons.
You have to be able to do so easily and forget about it. Or patch these dimmers to a channel and park that channel.

But first, you have find a way to patch several dimmers to a single channel... which i still wandering if it is possible...

Sorry for my so so english !

Have a nice day !