Total Noob here looking for some emotional support in Indiana

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
IndianaRedBarn

I am making the leap from analog board to digital and have next to no idea what I'm doing. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Equipment list:

DMXKING eDMX Pro 1
PC Laptop

Software:

Q Light
DMXKing Configuration Utility

I've connected the eDMX Pro 1 to my laptop via cat5 and I can see the eDMX device in the DMXKing config utility.
I see the IP, MAC and all the info.
There is where my knowledge stops.

Can someone coach me through getting switched over to a software platform from my analog board please?
siegmund

A good starting point is the online documentation: http://www.qlcplus.org/docs/index.html (maybe see basic concepts first) and the video tutorials: http://www.qlcplus.org/tutorials.html

If you have more specific questions, just ask.
IndianaRedBarn

Thank you for your reply. I made some headway today but still don't have a working system. This is where I'm at currently.

System of 23 various DMX led lights assigned to 12 different fixture numbers able to be controlled with Chauvet Obey 70.

Unboxed DMXKing eDMX Pro 1, connected power, connected cat5 to laptop and ran configuration utility.
Set for DHCP, removed from Cat5 to the computer and connected to Apple AirPort for wireless control.

Connect computer to AirPort wirelessly and ran DMXConfig again to verify the wireless connection is good and can see the eDMX. Verified.

Opened various software on the PC (Freestyler, Q) and other iPhone apps (LightPad, OSRAM, Freestyler Remote) all of which can see and connect to the IP assigned to the eDMX. Using the Art-Net protocol if that aids in assessing this situation.

Added the first four fixtures to the various software, Chauvet LEDSplash 200b. Assigned to fixtures 1-4, dip switches 1/33/65/97 respectively.

I have not been able to control any of the fixtures using any of the software, apps or even the DMX Display feature of the DMXConfig software for the DMXKING eDMX.

When I see the virtual dip switching layout on the screens it appears that the 10 switch, which needs to be (and is) ON to indicate DMX control on the physical fixtures this switch is not showing as on in the virtual dip switches on Q or Freestyler. I'm not sure that matters but wanted to include it just in case.

I was on tech support for quite some time with DMXKING today but they closed before getting this resolved. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.
GGGss

On the DMX-side of your setup (hardware) there you shouldn't change anything...

It all comes down to have QLC send out ARTNET messages to the correct addresses. There I assume your problem to be. It requires some basis networking knowledge and debugging (sniffing network packets, looking for open ports, etc etc)

Maybe you can start revealing to which IP-address the eDMX is bound to. Your QLC output device will have to have this entry. Then try adding a simple dimmer to your workspace. On DMX address you should find the first channel of the first fixture. (It may do 'nothing' see-able (f.i. you only set a value to the R-channel without having the master dimmer set). [A DMX sniffer may come in handy to evaluate values sent]

Once QLC -> ARTNET -> eDMX is configured (and verified working), it shouldn't be so hard to start including the fixtures and start to have fun with them.

As per manual I see that a LED on the eDMX should flash upon reception of packets... hint... default adress is 192.168.0.111 mask 255.255.255.0 - so without having a DHCP the device can be reached by this address.
All info is revealed to you with use of the configuration tool. A screenshot would be needed to direct you further.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
IndianaRedBarn

I'm 100% sure it's my IP settings. I'm going to update where I am at currently so any helpers can have all the info. I know this is a Q forum but as we were wanting to get going with our iPads I have since installed LuminAir 3 as our software. I've stopped trying to control everything and I am just currently trying to control one single Chauvet COLORPalette LED panel.

DMXKing eDMX Pro 1
Apple AirPlay
Ethernet cable
LuminAir 3 on iPad

Ethernet cable connects eDMX to AirPort
Wifi connects AirPort to iPad w/ LuminAir
DMX cable connects eDMX to COLORPalette

I'll attach the current IP settings.

eDMX
IMG_5901.PNG
LuminAir on iPad
IMG_5902.JPG
AirPort Express
IMG_5903.JPG
Any help at all is greatly appreciated.
janosvitok

Your network settings seem OK (since Luminair sees eDMX and those two can communicate).
Your problem lies on a higher layer.

Let's debug it from the end of the chain. Please follow and post any problems found.

LED Panel:
- check address (post here)
- since DMX mode is selected using channel 1, let's leave it at 0 and assume 27 channel mode
- check DMX signal is possible. Usually when there is no DMX signal, the display blinks or the light uses similar notification
- [try to set manual color to make sure the light works ok]
Cable:
- make sure both ends are connected properly
eDMX1:
- please post screen shot of eDMX configuration, tab Port A
- follow eDMX1 manual (http://dmxking.com/downloads/eDMX1%20Us ... 20(EN).pdf) page 8 to toggle channel 4 (counted from 1) of the fixture to full.
adjust channel number for led panel base address: if the address is 1, raise channel 4. if the address is X, raise X+3.
One zone should light up in red.
Luminair:
- check whether fixture address (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjgrjQ0c_1M) and universe matches the actual fixture and eDMX configuration
- this tutorial show similar process with enttec ODE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN1SpqWtI0w ODE is functionally similar to eDMX1, just uses different configuration utility.
IndianaRedBarn

Thank you for your response! Okay I verified the light and the cabling were working by reattaching to my Obey70.
IMG_5917.JPG
COLORPalette is set to DMX Channel 1
IMG_5908.PNG

As a further note my AirPort has two Ethernet ports in the back. When I'm connected to the one that I'm on now the device seems angry flashing a yellow light on the front, but the iPad can see the eDMX device and recognize it as that. When I plug the Ethernet cable in to the other port the AirPort seems happy with a nice green light but the iPad only sees the IP Address of the eDMX as the node and does not actually say eDMX Pro in the description box anymore.

I'm currently connected as shown in the screen shots with the iPad recognizing the eDMX and just not controlling the lighting.

The link lights on the eDMX are very busy with the green constantly flashing and the yellow a steady throb.
Attachments
IMG_5916.PNG
IndianaRedBarn

Here are my Port A settings.
IMG_5919.JPG
janosvitok

1. Airport Express: plug your eDMX1 to the port closer to USB port ("<---->" or "Ethernet LAN port").
The other port ("WAN") filters traffic in one direction (eDMX1->luminair).

2. THIS IS THE REAL PROBLEM: Change the OPERATION MODE to DMX OUT. I.e. you need your eDMX1 port to output DMX.
Now it's configured to listen to incoming DMX signal and retransmit it as artnet on ethernet.

... now you can try also QLC+ :)

Jano
IndianaRedBarn

You my friend are a saint. Thank you to all of you who helped me get this process started! XOXOXOXOXOX
Ham

Doug, I am an intermediate QLC+ user in Wabash. send an email to Sadler.ham@gmail.com. I'd be happy to help out.

Ham