Behringer XTouch Compact

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
benste

Dear all, i've started to create an Input Profile for the Behringer X Touch Compact.
However i ran into a couple of issues which i would need your comments / help for. Please find below my summary of insights so far - please help in advising how to best split the requests into different threads if needed.

The files attached include a playground for trying to interact with the MIDI control surface (regular mode, not Mackie Control Mode), and a Input Profile for the device based on the autodetected inputs which i tried to rename. The most confusing thing was the remapping of different Types of messages because the numbers don't match the input map (see page 19 - http://media.music-group.com/media/PLM/ ... QSG_WW.pdf)

1. Preset Layer Change
* unsure how
- defined manual "Program Change - 1 = B and 0=A,
- also tried virtual Dimmer with only 1|0 value
No visual change on Board LED

2. Fader Movement Feedback
* XTouch does not save MIDI values for non active layer needs to be resubmitted after layout change (e.g. fader changed in GUI while layer was not active)
* Scene Fader Feedback works
* Level Fader - "Monitor Selected Channel and Update Fader Level"
- When Scene Active Follow Output does not allow manual adjustment of level fader
- Highest Value Applied (combined from multiple scenes
>> Use Faders for scenes only?

3. LED Ring Behaviour Change
Encoder A1
- Rotation deteced on "11" = Channel 1 Control Change (CC) 10
- Press detected on "129" - Channel 1 Note 0 (Parameter 1)
> Press should send CC10 one of the following as feedback 0,1,2,3,4 (Single,Pan,Fan,Spread,Trim) Modes
LED Ring Remote Control
How can i send a Control Change Command on a different channel than the one where the original message came from
e.g. CC26 0-28 (for different LED levels)
Buttons LED Remote Control
Following the documentation for the first upper left button Note0 velocity should be 1 for on and 2 for blinking, any bigger for ignored. The first button is detected as channel 1, "Note On/Off" Parameter 16 E0

How do i need to set the feedback values in order to get the LED blinking?
I tried various custom feedbacks (included in file with different results)
When the scene is ON and the following custom feedback ranges are defined the result is = applies to clicking something on the virtual console.

Code: Select all

0..255 ON
1..255 ON
2.255 ON
0..1 OFF
1..1 OFF
2..1 OFF
0..2 ON
1..2 ON
2..2 ON
when putting the scene which is associated with the buttons to OFF the following LED status occurs = applies to click on the virtual console

Code: Select all

0..255 OFF
1..255 OFF
2.255 ON
0..1 OFF
1..1 OFF
2..1 ON
0..2 OFF
1..2 OFF
2..2 ON
Another thing is that when i press a button on the XTouch it not only sends the event to QLCplus but automatically flashes the LED on for the touch duration, not taking to account the assigned feedback values from the buttons (profile has 0.255 assigned)

Do Midi input messages not cause the feedback of triggered buttons?
> Can Anybody advice whether i'm just using it the wrong way or what i would need to do different in order to see if the button was pressed or not also when initially pressing on the physical hardware?

5. Status LEDS Remote Control
no feedback needed from QLC+

Would be interested to hear from others about their experience in integrated a physical control device
Attachments
Behringer Xtouch_profileTest.qxw
(27.32 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
Behringer(benste)-XTouchCompact.qxi
(16.19 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
Pimousse

Hi !

Sorry to bring this thread to life after 2 years.
I wanted to put here what I tried with the hope that one day someone more skilled could write a script or so to exploit the power of this great controller ! :)

I'm playing with the X-Touch Compact and your post @benste helped me to understand issues.
BTW, thanks for the profile file, it saved me a lot of time. ;)

I succeed to light a button up but after a ton of tries. For this, I used MIDIPipe (on MacOS) for routing RX Data.
First, I discovered that Velocity = 2 is ON, Velocity = 3 is blinking (so shiffted by one regarding the manual).
Second, the controller overrides RX data when pressing a button.

Like this (I suppose) :
1. Press on the button = Note ON sent & controller switches internally button LED on.
2. QLC+ sends the feedback note = button LED ON (or blinking, depending on the velocity)
3. Button released = note OFF sent & controller switches internally button LED off, overriding the order sent by QLC+.

So, maybe the trick could consist into sending the feedback note after the falling edge of the button (Note OFF).
Or maybe did I miss something (MIDI stuffs are new to me).

Anyway, I'm also new at QLC+ and could have missed this, but is there a way to map output profile for a controller ?
I only find input profile and custom velocity for feedback but no way to re-map feedback note or CC.

Thanks for any input and hope you didn't give up @benste 2 years a ago. :mrgreen:
Pimousse

Okay, I made some improvements on the integration of the X-Touch Compact.

First, I remapped the Layer A via X-Touch editor. This way, button send channels matches RX ones and avoid a third-party software for rerouting (like MIDIPipe).
You'll find the file attached to this post, to be loaded using X-Touch Editor on Layer A (only !).
Layer B is not modified.

Second, according to the ramapping done, I modified the input profile and limited velocity feedback to 6 for each button.

Why ? Simply because I found out that :
Feedback velocity = 4 (in QLC+) : LED is ON
Feedback velocity = 6 (in QLC+) : LED is blnking

So by default, the LED will be blinking. Just set Custom feedback velocity to 4 for solid.

Also, I switched most of the button to Toggle mode and activate the "extra press" option in Input profile.
This is the only way to avoid having the X-Touch overriding the MIDI feedback when a button is released.
I would prefer a re-send function directly in QLC+ for avoiding having LEDs ON if pressed but no widget attached (can be seen in the video below from 0:44 for each reinit button)
(Bug/behaviour reported here : viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13252)

I only kept transport buttons in Momentary mode (because mostly used as it, e.g Stop all functions, Flash all, change frame page...).

Limitations/TODO :

- Encoder behaves strangely due to kind of inertia. If turned clock-wise and suddlendy turned counter clock-wise, the value still increases for few "clicks".
- Encoder rings not supported
- If a button is pressed bu not assigned, the "Toogle" mode will light it up and will stay as it because no feedback will be sent to it by QLC+ for overriding it.

Please, feel free to add your comments.
I'm new to it and may have missed options or features that could even more enhance this wonderful controller.
:)
XTouch_Compact_LED_feedback.zip
X-Touch Compact Layer 1 remapping file & Input Profile file
(2.13 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
cpyarger

Interesting work,!! Thank you for it all. The encoder rings work for me but I am having an interesting issue where when I turn the encoder it seems to start from a previous encoder value in the xtouch and not the current one in qlcplus. I will take video and post what I am talking about later.
cpyarger

I just spent the last hour on the phone with Behringer and have figured out where the issues we are having with the board is coming from.

To get the encoder rings working load the default Xtouch editor bin file for the x-touch compact, make sure the global channel is set to 2 on the Xtouch and flash the defaults back onto the board.

The issues we are having with the encoders themselves stem from an issue with QLC+ itself, The encoders are absolute devices, and yet QLC is handling them as relative devices. I have tried changing the channel type in the profile to both a slider set to absolute, and a knob set to absolute, but I have seen no difference in functionality.

When I change the encoder value in the virtual console, it properly updates in the xtouch, The next value is the correct one when turning the knob on the xtouch. but QLC acts as if the encoder is relative instead of absolute.

cpyarger

I seem to have been able to get everything working properly on Layer A of the Xtouch Compact.

Buttons 1.1-3.8 are all mapped as toggles.

Encoder wheel buttons are all mapped to encoder bank pages,
Encoder wheels work properly. This was accomplished by setting the input type to knob in the QLC+ input profile. since the encoders act like knobs with absolute positions. Feedback is also working with the encoders and their rings.

buttons 4.1 and 4.2 (below faders 1 and 2) are currently mapped to previous and next cue.

The Main Fader is mapped to the Grand Master, and the Main button is mapped to blackout.
Play is play. the cue sheet,
Loop is mapped to stop the cue sheet
The stop is reset all overrides
record is unmapped to any current function
Buttons 4.3-4.5 are mapped to the tap function of the three speed dial widgets and have working feedback based flashing.

Attached is a copy of My Xtouch Compact Default Lighting workspace, Input profile (only Layer A at the moment) and the Xtouch Editor dump file.

Please note that in Xtouch Editor Global channel is set to 2, and Device ID is set to 1
Xtouch Editor.PNG
QLC+ Xtouch Compact.zip
(12.45 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
SPS

hello cpyarger, thanks for your workspace!
But one question: How did you manage to map the masterfader?? I cant find a way to get into the properties of the GM?

Thanks
Paul
SPS

never mind, I found it in the virtal console tools.
maquelle

Pimousse wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:41 pm Okay, I made some improvements on the integration of the X-Touch Compact.

First, I remapped the Layer A via X-Touch editor. This way, button send channels matches RX ones and avoid a third-party software for rerouting (like MIDIPipe).
You'll find the file attached to this post, to be loaded using X-Touch Editor on Layer A (only !).
Layer B is not modified.
Hello,

I try to configure my X-Touch Mini the same way but I am completely lost.

I can't load your Layer file in X-Touch editor since it only works with X-Touch Compact.
Instead of this file, can you send screenshoots of your Layer A configuration as I don't understand the "This way, button send channels matches RX ones" ?

Thank you very much for your help
deltapirat

Hi benste. I am Benjamin from Hamburg/Germany and I have a X Touch Compact. I want to control QLC with it. I have the same problems that were discussed here.
I looked at your files and see that you also have problems in some places.
As you also wrote above, there are open problems with
-the layer switching
-the rotation buttons
-the rotary knob LED display
-fader movement

Have you or anyone else had any success with the X Touch Compact and QLC+ in the meantime? If so, can you describe it briefly?
I think the X Touch Compact is a good mixer for lights.

Best regards
deltapirate/Benjamin