Live over cue and cuelist

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
luis85

Hi to all. I'm working with theatre shows. My trouble is where I create the cues and the cuelist for the show, and than, when I'm playng the show and I need to add some lights on the fly. What I do is to assign the same cue that is in the cuelist to a slider mapped with a midi controller, in my case a Korg nanokontrol. The problem is that the cue on the fader ovverride the cue on the cuelist, and than when I go to the next cue I dont see what I recorded in the cue.

Example:
Cue 1 - dimmer1@100 dimmer2@0 dimmer3@0
Cue2 - dimmer1@0 dimmer2@0 dimmer3@0
Cue3 - dimmer1@0 dimmer2@0 dimmer3@100

Cuelist : cue1 - cue2 - cue3

Slider1 has attached cue1
Slider2 has attached cue2
Slider3 has attached cue3

If I play the cuelist, over the cue1 I rise the fader2 @50, then the dimmer2 go to 100, then I play cue3, dimmer2 go to 0 and dimmer3 to 100, but if I touch the fader the dimmer2 jump to 50.

What I can do? Exist a method to clear the live changes that I made over the stored cues?
siegmund

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry I am not able to follow you exactly. Could you please share a workspace file and a step by step guide with expected and actual observations? This would help, thanks.

Regards,
siegmund
luis85

Thank you for the reply.

I know it's hard to explain, but I'm trying to do my best. In the attached file there is an example. The fader are mapped to the fader of a nanokontrol.
If I move the fader1 on the nanokontrol and I play the cuelist (cue buio), the lights stay on when in the cue they would be at 0 (because of the fader up). And that's ok. Then I play the next cue (Speciale1) then, the lights don't change because I have the fader of the nanokontrol up, but if i go down with the fader of the nanokontrol the light turn off, overwriting the cue. That's the problem. I would that the cue overwrite the fader (latest overwrite), and next the cue is fired, the fader overwrite the cue with HTP.
Another example is start the cue list with cue Buio and then Speciale_1, than rise the fader 1 on tha nanokontrol and than you see the light jump to a new value.

Luis
Attachments
Show Esempio.qxw
File show di esempio
(14.14 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
mdmayfield

Hello Luis,

I took a look at your example project. It seems that the fader and the cue list are fighting over the same exact function - and it appears that even though the lighting fixtures follow HTP, the functions themselves, as abstract objects, do not.

One thing I tried was making a Collection for each Special 1, 2, 3 functions and assigning the faders to those, but that did not change anything because the two widgets are still controlling the exact same function.

There is a workaround which does what you are looking for, but is maybe a bit less convenient. In this new version of your example, I made a copy of each Special function, and assigned the sliders to the copies. That way, the widgets do not fight over the same function, and the lights behave with HTP as expected.

Unfortunately, this means that if you want to edit any of the functions you will need to either

1) Edit their copies in the exact same way; or
2) Re-duplicate the functions and then re-assign the faders to the new duplicates.

I hope that helps - thanks,

Matt
Attachments
Show Esempio2.qxw
(15.67 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
mlohrey

Hi Luis,

You may want to experiment with one of the test versions viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3135

There is a new feature that might serve your purpose: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10004

Essentially you enable monitoring on the slider and then can manually adjust the level to overriding the level. It works best for single channels but you might find it does what you want. At least you have the option of resetting the slider.

There are some issues associated with fade times in the cuelist but otherwise it works well.

Cheers

Mark
luis85

mdmayfield wrote:
1) Edit their copies in the exact same way; or
2) Re-duplicate the functions and then re-assign the faders to the new duplicates.
Thanks for the suggestion. This is a workaround thant will work, but I need a simple one method, if exist. Re-create alla the specials cues and then re-assign the copies to the faders will be a time consuming task and the risk to make errors is very high.

Mark I don't understand what the feedback of my slider will do. The problem is with my midi controller than don't have motorized fader. What do you mean with resetting the slider?

Luis
mdmayfield

The feature Mark mentioned would work very well for individual channels (I'm using it in a project right now). It doesn't have the same behavior for full scenes, though, so you'd have to experiment to see if it will work for your situation.

Luis, after reading your questions again, it seems to me that there are two separate issues involved here:

1) Because the nanoKONTROL has non-motorized faders, if the onscreen fader is in a different place than the physical fader, the lights will "jump" suddenly if the physical fader is moved
2) Unexpected things happen (like a function getting "stuck" on) when both the onscreen fader, and the Cue List, control the same Scene function

I wonder if maybe #1 is the more important issue for now, because if that "jump" could be avoided, it would be no big deal in a live situation to adjust the sliders as needed whenever issue #2 happened.

There is a person on this forum named Siegmund who recently coded a "catch" feature to resolve issue #1, as discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10814&p=46597#p46597

This feature is not yet available on the main or test QLC+ downloadable applications, but it is possible to build a version of QLC+ including this feature from Siegmund's modified source code. Also, I would guess that this feature will probably be added to the main release sometime.
mdmayfield

Hey Luis, here's another thought...

Attached is an example of your project with the faders in a frame. I don't own a nanoKONTROL, but I set the frame to be enabled/disabled by the "Top Button 1."

The idea is that, if the onscreen fader is ever at the top while the physical fader is at the bottom (or vice versa), you can:

1) Disable the frame with Top Button 1, "freezing" the onscreen fader
2) Move the physical fader to match the onscreen fader's position
3) Re-enable the frame with Top Button 1 again
4) Move the physical fader smoothly to where you need

Maybe that might help as a simpler workaround, at least if you can see the computer screen while operating the lights.

Thanks,

Matt
Attachments
Show Esempio3.qxw
(14.84 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
luis85

mdmayfield wrote:
1) Because the nanoKONTROL has non-motorized faders, if the onscreen fader is in a different place than the physical fader, the lights will "jump" suddenly if the physical fader is moved
2) Unexpected things happen (like a function getting "stuck" on) when both the onscreen fader, and the Cue List, control the same Scene function

I wonder if maybe #1 is the more important issue for now, because if that "jump" could be avoided, it would be no big deal in a live situation to adjust the sliders as needed whenever issue #2 happened.

There is a person on this forum named Siegmund who recently coded a "catch" feature to resolve issue #1, as discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10814&p=46597#p46597
Hi Matt! You got it! The main issue is the #1 and the #2 is an effect. This is a function that alla the major lightning console without motorized fader uses. The catch event is the solution! I'm trying the solution and I will update the thread.
gino0o0o

Anyone has the compiled version? I'm not at home and I don't have the software to compile the sources.

Thans in advice

Luis
mdmayfield

What OS are you using? (Mac, Windows, Linux)
luis85

I'm using Mac. Thanks