Mapping an OSC message to a specific scene

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
padide

Hi all, I want to control QLC+ from a custom app that I'm coding.

My need is to map an incoming OSC message to a specific scene. Eg. /play/S23 would play the scene named S23 (including time in & time out)
I really don't know if it's possible with QLC+ (seems not)

I've already created my own OSC profile and tried different things in the virtual console (chasers), but nothing seems to be available to achieve what I want.

Is it possible ? Is QLC+ javascript scriptable for that matter of things ?

Thanks
padide

I answer my self
- edit profile channels to include all the possible osc messages (use wizard only, manually selected channels numbers won't work in my case)
- in virtual console, create one button for each scene, link each button to the according scene
- for each button, map the external input to one of the osc messages defined in step 1

Run and enjoy...
siegmund

Welcome to the forum!

The easiest way would be to place a button in the virtual console and assign your scene to it. Then assign the desired OSC message as external input for the button.

Regards,
siegmund
padide

Thanks for your answer sigmund found the same solution than the one you provided to me ;-)

Are you aware of any possibility to typein the osc messages in profile channels instead of using the wizard ? So far I didn't succeed without the wizard which is bit tedious because I have to manually send the messages from my app, one by one...

I tried, used self decided channels numbers but that does not works
janosvitok

You can open the profile in a text editor, and create the channels yourself.
The number is CRC of the path in utf8 computed by http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qbytearray.html#qChecksum (the source code of the function is here: http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtbase.git/tr ... y.cpp#n550)
kenm

Hi,

If you have access to and are familiar with python you can install pythonosc and use the osc-msg.py sample script to quickly send all of your required messages to the input profile wizard. For buttons you can just send a single message with any value but if you want the wizard to define the input as a slider you have to send three or more messages with ascending or descending values. I just generated an input profile with almost 500 messages and it took about 20 minutes.

Hope this helps,
Ken
janosvitok

If you can use python, I am sure you can tweak some crc function to produce correct results, and create the input profile XML directly -- it will be much faster.
Nevertheless, your method is more robust.

Jano
kenm

Hi Jano,

While that is true I would not recommend that method unless the XML format of the input profile is published and version checked. I've not seen a published file spec for QLC+'s files even though they are in XML format. Generating configuration files using an external tool and thus bypassing the actual QLC+ generation code could result in invalid, or worse, misinterpreted data and strange program behavior that may be difficult to diagnose.

I did notice a fixture definition validator on the website front page that I think is a good idea. I wonder what it would take to create an input profile validator?

--Ken
janosvitok

I've created XML schemas for the profiles, that you can use for a simple validator. It is not too detailed, though.
I update them from time to time. They are not versioned.

See https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/t ... es/schemas
There is even a script to check all input profiles (https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/b ... iles/check), although partly I use it to verify whether the schema is still valid... :)

I agree that creating directly from QLC+ is preferred method. Nevertheless, when you create 500 channels, you may let QLC+ create let's say 10, and then the rest generate by a script, using those first 10 as a template.
I'm not sure what's faster... :)

Jano
padide

Finally, the easiest solution was to add 10 lines of code in my app to send all the current osc messages to QLC+ while in wizard mode
Then when new scenes will be added to my app, I just have to redo the same process. Easy :-)
padide

And yet I've changed my mind, editing the XML profile directly is really easier.

So, I used Ruby for this, it was as simple as

Code: Select all

gem install digest-crc
and a 8 lines script

Code: Select all

require 'digest/crc16_qt'
dig = Digest::CRC16QT.new
dig << ARGV[0]
crc = dig.checksum
puts %[ <Channel Number="#{crc}">]
puts %[  <Name>#{ARGV[0]}</Name>]
puts %[  <Type>Button</Type>]
puts " </Channel>"
usable as ruby ./crc.rb /myoscmessage
janosvitok

Great!

I've added your code to the online documentation (https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/c ... 2de0cb8e03).

Jano
mcallegari

I've implemented the channel calculation in the OSC plugin configuration dialog