Midi Control of Live Show

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
kreppart

Hello Everyone, this is my first post here. I recently bought some inexpensive DMX lights and controller and have been playing around with lighting for my band. I tried a bunch of different lighting programs before finding QLC+, it is by far the easiest to use!

I'd like to create some semi-sync'd programs for our songs, I say semi-synced because we don't want to play with a metronome or fixed audio track. It seems like it should be possible to sync at least some of the song portions by triggering directly from Midi. We have a midi keyboard, midi drums, and a midi pad so plenty of options for starting various scenes, chases, etc. during the song. Can anyone share tips for doing this?

As an example, one song starts with 8 kick drum beats and I'd like to flash the lights on each kick but then stop the chase after 8 kicks. I can get the lights to flash with the kick drum by creating a cue list with 8 steps and triggering next with the kick but the 9th kick turns off the cue list and the 10th restarts the cue list. How can I get it to stop and not restart so I can just keep playing without having to manually turn off that cue list?

I think if I can figure that out I can cobble together a bunch of different cues during the song, some sync'd with midi events and others that aren't sync'd between. If there's a better way of course I'd love to know.

Thanks,

- ken
siegmund

Welcome to the forum!
kreppart wrote:As an example, one song starts with 8 kick drum beats and I'd like to flash the lights on each kick but then stop the chase after 8 kicks. I can get the lights to flash with the kick drum by creating a cue list with 8 steps and triggering next with the kick but the 9th kick turns off the cue list and the 10th restarts the cue list. How can I get it to stop and not restart so I can just keep playing without having to manually turn off that cue list?
Use the option "Do nothing" from the "Behavior of the Next/Previous buttons when the chaser is not active" drop down menu in the cue lists' properties.

If you have more precise questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
siegmund
kreppart

Thanks siegmund, that was just the trick!