Can a dimmer be made binary on/off?

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
hiroo

Baer wrote:I don't get it...

If all the Lights (LEDS and Halogens) are on the same circuit how would you be able to dim the halogens without dimming the leds?
If you can put them on several dimming channels you already need to have different circuits...
I think you're thinking of a different type of dimmer setup. If you look at the link I included to the dimmer pack in question, the way it works is that it plugs in to mains power and then provides 4 channels of power output. Each channel can be controlled via DMX. The original design of this unit allowed configuration of each channel to be either Switching (a relay physically switches the power on/off to that circuit) or Dimming (the voltage provided to the channel can be varied).

So the way this would work is the dimmer/switch pack plugs into the main power circuit. The power channels going to LED fixtures would get configured to Switching (on/off only) and the halogen would get configured to Dimming. Then I use DMX to control the dimmer/switch pack to turn on/off LED fixtures as needed and dim the halogen as needed. The LEDs would also be on the same DMX chain so DMX dimming and color changing could also be done via DMX.

However, the problem arose in that they changed the design of this unit to eliminate the configurability between switching and dimming and only kept dimming. (a change that doesn't make sense given the rise of LED stage lighting)

I'm looking at another dimmer/switch pack unit (https://www.amazon.com/Eliminator-Light ... tag=519-20) that does retain both dimming and switching. However, the compromise there is that it only allows configuration in pairs of channels, so I could set Ch 1+2 to switching and 3+4 to dimming, but not 1-3 switching and 4 dimming.
GGGss

In previous replies you stated that you only wanted to switch of the led fixtures due to the existance of a fan... So basically you ONLY need 1 channel for ALL you led fixtures. I see no other reason why you would switch each led-fix seperately.

(In real venue's of all sorts - you'd kill the mains at the switchboard when finished, ergo: the first thing you'd do when entering a venue is looking for the switchboard and enable mains to different circuits - this is general practise (fire-risk, risk of short circuits, lowering energy consumption, ...) -> so in your morgue you'd kill the mains at the switchboard when you leave it overnight f.i.)

I'd suggest you have an electrician to have a look at your situation. I'm afraid you make things way to complicated. Changing led-fixtures to led-strips rules out the need of fans also ...

Just my toughts
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
bssmusic

Hi,
what you need, is actually a switchpack. So why do you not buy a cheap DMX switchpack (solid state relay) from a store like Thomann? You should get it for ~ € 100. At least that would not break your devices. Or look on the "Digital Enlightenment" page or the "DMX4All" page for a DMX to relay device. As mentioned in an earlier answer, you will not need a separate channel for each fixture, as a typical switchpack can handle at least 5, 10 or 15 A per channel.
Peter
hiroo

I was hoping to get bonus dimming for the halogen's with a switchpack/dimmer combo unit. I've ordered a different unit that does that so hopefully that works.