Weird behavior scenes vs faders

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
danielr

There is something that I cannot seem to figure out, it might be that I'm using it wrong.

I have a situation where I want to light a large band, and that band may require different lighting that may need to be setup reasonably ad-hoc. as it's a live band it's difficult/impossible to script scenes on a timeline as variations in tempo will really show if big finish lights happen way before the end, or well after the end.
(100 bpm vs 98 bpm in a 100 bar chart in four is a difference of 4 minutes or 4 minutes 5 seconds... for an ending that's crowd blinders followed by darkness its going to be silly if the lights are out and the band still plays!) - also it's a function band, so I may need to set colours to match brides maids dresses or some rubbish like that... so making a script for "every occasion" is just not really possible...

There is one thing I want to do that I can't quite figure out. - in most songs there is a solo, so on each person who has ever solos I want to put a light that will be unused 99% of the time, then when they have a solo I want to be able to punch a button and have every light black out, except for the light directly on the soloist.

seems easy enough, should be able to get done with a scene button.

I created a scene, with fixture 1 intensity set to 255, and fixtures 2 onward set to 0,
the intention is that when I press this button every light is blacked out, the soloist spot light is turned up to feature them, but no colour information is lost, (so un-toggling the button will return to reading intensity settings from the faders mapped to each fixture. at the same colours.)

So I press the button, the on screen fader positions stay exactly where they are, colours stay as is, fixture 1 turns to brightest, (all good so far) fixtures 2 onward do not dim. in fact they do nothing.

what is weird is if I change the scene so that all lights go to 25%/64 and light 1 turns up bright, all dim channels are affected.
those that had a brightness less than 64 are turned up. those that were previously brighter are not affected.

i,e if fixture 1 had previous intensity 0 it's now 255,
fixture 2 previously 34 now intensity 64
fixture 3 previous intensity 80, not affected, still 80.

it seems like scenes assigned to toggle buttons CAN override the fader levels, but only in a brighter direction.

is what I'm trying to do not possible, or am I trying to do it wrong?
Baer

Read about HTP vs. LTP
Intensity Channels are HTP per default.

I would use 2 Scenes 1 with the solo Light and One with all other.
Then asing it to 2 buttons inside a solo frame
danielr

Many thanks for your reply. - that's allowed me to do what I want to do... but it feels a bit, well clunky.

WIth HTP it seems that the faders are read all the time. so it's possible to change a value (to a higher value) with a function, and then turn off the function and have the fader re-read and output.
with latest precedence on the bus...

the soloist button is set so that each channel intensity is 0 and the soloist 255. (works perfectly!)

but my scene off button reduces the soloist light to zero, but the other lights are unaffected - they don't come back up to the fader level, so they have to be pre-programmed in the function to come back to a set level. (or I have to push each fader up a little and down a little - which isn't practical if I want 16 lights all coming back to their previous values at once!) and if in my "planning/scripting stage" I think that 64 would be a good brightness for the wash lights, but it turns out 127 was actually where they need to be, I'd need to re-program all the "un-solo" functions to bring up all the other lights to the new "general wash" level...)

I know this could be live edited... the only problem is... i won't be running the lights, and the guy who does is not going to understand how to do that with the live edit...

I can kind of do what I want to do with the dump scene button.
Make soloist buttons to reduce values, and a big button initially with no script attached called resume. - then I can press the dump value button and select to dump it to the resume button. and have that as my soloist undo button (in the same solo frame)

(but is there an even more slick way to do this?)

Is there a way to program a function (with the scripting language?) that says:
Read all values and save in memory.
now change all the values (i.e black out all but the soloists light)
and on the exit of the function read all the saved values and write them back to the bus?

Then I could assign that to a single toggle button...

even something simple like a calculator M+ and MR button to just save and recall one scene without needing to go through screens or select where to save the scene.