Level Mode Slider always returns to zero

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
Baer

Hi all,

hope someone can help me what I'm missing here

I have a rather simple setup
1 fixture: generic dimmer
no szenes fuctions or other fancy things
1 slider in level mode connected to this specific channel, in loopback mode

If the channel is in HTP mode (which is the one i intend to use) i can controll the value via the slider.
As soon as i release the slider, the value of the channel returns to zero.
When change the channel to LTP everything works fine.

What am i missing? Why is the channel reseted in HTP mode despite there is only one source controlling it?

I can provide a simple workspace and version information tomorrow if needed.
janosvitok

Yes, please attach workspace and all custom fixture definitions.
siegmund

Sounds a bit like you are using the "monitoring" option of the slider. If this is the case, that thread might help you: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9157&p=40264&hilit=observing#p40264
EDIT: This could be interesting, too: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10064&p=43993&hili ... der#p43993
Baer

The threads mentioned by siegmund describe my problem really good.

I have attached the simplest workspace file a can imagine to show you the problem.

I use a plain install of qlc+ 4.10.4 on Windows10, no costum fixtures (I think not even bound any inputs or outputs)
But i see this issue also in my self compiled version for raspberry pi

I added two generic dimmer channels (one in HTP and ont in LTP mode)
Bound each one to a slider in monitor mode (i will use this featuer in my project for some reason)

In LTP mode everything works as expected in this use case, i can change the value of the slider, and it also will change if a change the dmx value otherwise (not included in workspace)
In HTP mode (which is default for all channels) the slider returns immedeatly to zero after changing ist.

The questions for me are:
- Where is this zero comming from?
- How can a value of zero overwrite a value > 0 in HTP mode
-- would understand this in LTP, if 0 is sent from somewhere by default

To understand the use case i will shortly explain what i plan to achieve:
I will bind a channel to a level mode slider
During setting up a scene i will set this slider to an initial (minimal) value (from the scene), during the scene runtime I need to change the value of this specific channel.
Hope this is even possible, after reading all the other threads regarding this topic.
Attachments
LTP_HTP_SliderProblem.qxw
(3.08 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
janosvitok

Hi Baer,

I dind't check your workspace (yet).
Did you try to disable monitor mode for your channel? Does it work better?

I suspect the monitor mode does not work properly when you move the fader.

In your case, maybe you don't need it, since with HTP when you raise the fader above the scene value, it will override the value with no problems.
Baer

If i remember right, without monitor mode it works, but i will double check if i have time and give feedback.

Goal to achieve is to bind a real Hardware slider via midi to the slider
In order to have the HW in a correct state (on scene change the new scene value should be set), my intention was that the monitor mode should be the way to go.

If there is a better or simpler possiblity please let me know.
janosvitok

If you have two separate controls for the specific channel -- scene and the slider (either in VC or HW or both):
Let the scene do its thing, leave the slider at 0.
When you need to increase the value, just push the slider to desired value.
Due to HTP it will be ignored until it is at a value higher than scene value. When you want to return the control to the scene, just pull the slider back to 0.
You don't need the slider to track the value for this to work (since everything less that current scene value is ignored).

With tracking, you get faster reaction, since you start increasing value immediately (as soon as you touch the slider). Without tracking,
there might be some time to push the slider to working position.

The problem with tracking/monitoring slider especially when external control is used, is how to determine what was the source of a particular slider movement --
either monitoring (i.e. change in target channel), or the user with mouse/keyboard or finally the user with HW controller.
Also, HW controller will send new value as soon as we move it (as we send feedback to it). This change has to be ignored as well.
If the controller has touch-sensitive sliders, the situation may be simpler, but I don't think QLC+ has support for touch sensitivity yet.

Executive summary: the monitoring mode may not be error-free yet, so be careful! :)

BTW: what HW controller do you plan to use?
Baer

Its pretty sad that i can't use monitor mode atm, i will check if everything runs smooth for me without it.
Maybe if i have time i will do some debugging on my own on this issue.

I'm working on my own lighting console for our small theater, using QLC+ as a software basis, and a raspberry pi 3B as core processing unit.
For the faders I use the MidiBox Motor Fader Modul http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_mf_ng.html together with some ALPS RS60N11M9-LIN5K Motorfader.
First Prototype of electronics is now up and running, and I'm currently figuring out the parts of qlc+ i have to modify to meet my needs and wishes (shouldn't be too many, cause currently most points of my feature list work with qlc+ out of the box)

Anyway i plan to present the desk here in this forum as soon i find some time.
Baer

While start working on the extension for level mode slider i think i got a fix on thisone
If someone ist interested in testing its on my fork of qlcplus on github:

https://github.com/mgubisch/qlcplus

@QLC Team: If you are ok with it i can create a pull request.

Testet with level mode slider and scene containing the same channels:
LTP behaviour has not changed
In HTP Mode: with Scene active the Higher Value (Scene or Slider) is used, without Scene active the Slider Value is used
Baer

Turns out that there are still some problems with this version. So there is more work required, will be done together with implementation of overwrite mode.