OSC only on "active" page?

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
joky

Hi, I have an issue with OSC controlling faders in my virtual console. When the page containing the fader is visible, everything works as it should. When I change the page to any other page the fader doesn't set its value according to the OSC command.
Is this a feature or a bug?
If it's a feature (or even a bug), is there any way to get the fader working while also organizing the virtual console by pages or similar?
kind regards

FYI: I don't use the page-function as used in shows but to group fixtures by rooms and even category (show-lights bar, room-lights bar, show-lights hall,...)
mcallegari

Posted in the wrong place. Moved to the proper area.

It is not a bug. It is how QLC+ works. An inactive page doesn't receive external controls on purpose.
Otherwise pages using the same external controls would create an epic mess.
joky

sorry for posting in the wrong category and thank you for the fast response!

Is there any other way to clean up big virtual consoles?
The "page" function works great in terms of organizing the layout but, as you confirmed, it's the wrong function for what I'm looking for...
siegmund

Maybe you could try a lot of frames and minimizing the ones you don't need.
tavonmarkov

Is there a workaround to allow OSC messages (and feedback) to operate Virtual Console widgets on hidden pages? The use case scenario here is it would be ideal for a number of "frames", hidden on a single page, to contain Virtual Console buttons that control "house lights". These are being controlled via a remote OSC controller on a computer, on a time schedule basis, and or manual override. These Virtual Console buttons all have unique OSC addresses. This page is NOT to be controlled by user control (thus they are hidden). Ultimately, in the future release of QLC+5, this page would be locked with a PIN. However, in 4.11.1, I would like to have a second page (or third or more...) , also with unique OSC addresses to allow both direct Virtual Console and remote OSC (TouchOSC) control of the additional widgets on the pages. The additional pages will have controls for things like theater lights and miscellaneous architectural lights around the building.

The only "ugly" work around I can see, is to literally build all the frames that control House Lights inside another "frame" and then build all the User Controls for "Theater Lights" etc, into a "frame" that is literally Stacked Above the "House Lights" frame, so when the Virtual Console is in LIVE Mode, the "Theater Lights" frame would be essentially locked above the active "House Lights" frame. This is UGLY. Because if I need to monitor the "House Lights" "frame" in Virtual Console, I would need to first Live Edit Virtual Console, and "Bring To Front" the "House Lights" frame. During this process, OSC messages are not received.

So the ideal situation in my scenario is to have one "Main Frame" that has multiple pages. Page 1 being ALL House Lights, and Page(s) 2....~ being Theater Lights or anything else. I am not using a hardware controller with a limited set of messages. I am using a virtually unlimited set of OSC messages. I understand the design concept of using hardware controllers with a limited set of commands over a wide variety of Virtual Console widgets on many pages. But this is very limiting in the case of this design.

So, is there ANY way at all to set a "hidden" page to receive OSC messages?

I know that QLC+ 5 promises Virtual Console editing in LIVE mode, and the PIN lockout for pages is going to be a thing. I will post this in another area on the forum but, in the design concept of QLC+5, when using a LOCKED (PIN) QLC+5 Virtual Console page, can it be set to receive OSC messages (and return OSC feedback) for Locked Widgets still? This would be very helpful.
siegmund

tavonmarkov wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:53 pm So, is there ANY way at all to set a "hidden" page to receive OSC messages?
I would recommend you to use the "collapse" option of frames.

Regarding the locking option: I don't know if it is really the purpose of locking that some (maybe user) actions are still able to control vc widgets.