Scene preset buttons

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
funkytwig

Hi, I've been building a virtual console. I have the general controls to set up a scene and I want to put a set of scene buttons at the bottom that the user can save the current scene to (using Dump DMX values to function). This will allow all the scenes to be quickly setup and saved. Maybe this is not the correct way to do it but I have a couple of issues

1) Whenever I save the scene with the same name of an existing scene, it creates another scene with the same name, rather than overwriting. What I really want to do is just type the name, I call then 00 to 11, and it overwrites the scene. Leaving it assigned to the buttons (I have 10 buttons with each function).

2) When I try doing this I get button 01 assigned to function 01, 02 assigned to 02... It works but the buttons light up oddly. If I press 01 it lights up, I press 02 and it goes out. Buttons 03 and 04 act the same, they seem to be in pairs.
siegmund

For the first issue I could just say that I am able to reproduce this (latest sources, Xubuntu 14.04, Qt5) and most probably this is intended. Anyway, I personally would prefer a dialog window popping up which would ask me if I want to overwrite or create a new scene.

For the second issue, it will be difficult to help you without having a look at the workspace file, so please share it here.
funkytwig

Thanks for looking at this.

I was using windows for this, but also get the same in Debian 8.

My first thought was that this was the correct functionality, that if you save a function with the same name it creates another with the same name, but thinking about this it seems like a bug. It certainly seems like strange functionality and I can really see any advantage.

The advantage (of overriting) is that if you map a button to a function and dump DMX to that function its a great way of allowing users to define presets. What would be great if it keeps the fade in/out of the existing function, as dumping DMP values to a function does not include fade in/out so this would be a nice touch.

The workspace file is at https://cloud.prsc.org.uk/owncloud/inde ... ZxASbOjffl
I use a fixture I built, it is at https://cloud.prsc.org.uk/owncloud/inde ... cjb6N8oCLh

Ben
mlohrey

Hi Ben,

Just had a quick look at your workspace.

1. To overwrite a scene you need to choose the icon (four square colours in a square) to the right of the Scene name dialogue and choose the scene you want to overwrite. You will find that fade in and out times are retained using this method.

I find the dumping scenes process very useful especially when building a show in rehearsals etc but you have to be careful about the options you choose.

2. In Scene 02 and 04 all of the dimmers were set to zero. This is why buttons 02 and 04 were appearing to do nothing.

Cheers

Mark
funkytwig

Thanks, that did the trick.