RGB light strips

Ask a generic question about the usage of QLC+, not related to a particular operating system
3rdPlanetRob

I'm using a e6804 controller with a ws2812b strip, the strip is 2 meters and has 288 individually controllable leds. I made an "rgb panel" fixture of 1 column and 288 rows and then made an rgb matrix in functions tab. First i want to say, the more i do with qlc+ the better the program gets- i was surprised, shocked actually that i got this far with no problems, and it was so easy to work out.

So far so good, the only problem, i only have half of the strip lighting up. That's 170 pixels, of course as a fixture it spanned across two universes- it's 864 channels.. Is there a way to attach the two universes in qlc+ so the matrix function will operate over the entire range as one fixture? Eventually i'm hoping to have a total of four of the same strips lined up next to each other to use as one fixture.

Thanks,

Rob
3rdPlanetRob

I added the strip starting at universe 2, channel 1. It stretches to the 354th channel of universe 3. In simple desk, i can raise the channel of each color of each pixel individually, all the way up to the end of universe 1, the next pixel is the first of the 3rd universe, and also the first pixel that won't turn on, either in simple desk, or by using a function. I thought that seemed to suggest something with the 6804 setup.

I have the output of the board set to 1804,2811, length of 288, group size 1, GRB, start universe 2, start channel 1, it sets end universe and end channel to 3 and 354, respectively, zigzag 0, null pixels 0, and refresh is at 43. I don't see anything wrong here, and everything else seems to be right. Shouldn't they light up in the simple desk tab at the very least?

Thanks,

Rob
3rdPlanetRob

I scratched everything temporarily and started with a new project. I added an rgb panel fixture, 1 column, 288 rows and left the rest at default. I made sure universe 1 & 2 have the same interface/address enabled for output, they do.

When i try to raise channel 1 on universe 1, nothing. I tried various other channels on universe 1, nothing. But when i go to channel 1 of universe 2, the very first pixel lights up- this should happen on universe 1, not two, not sure what i could be setting wrong somewhere..
3rdPlanetRob

When i am on simple desk tab, on the top are the main sliders that i use to raise individual channels. Above each slider is a colored box, red for red, blue for blue, etc. If i go toward the end of where the fixtures channels are, there are no colored boxes, i think that means those channels weren't assigned.

So, for whatever reason, the first pixel of my strip started on universe 2 channel 1. (i did make sure it was set to universe 1 when i made the panel). The very last channel in un. 2 that has a colored box is 354, and it does control a pixel channel. 355 and the rest don't have a colored box, i was thinking that means no pixels are assigned to it. But they do raise levels for pixels, all the way up to ch. 510.

All of the boxes in un. 1 have colored boxes, but none of them control pixels.. I tried starting over again with the same results. Any ideas?
3rdPlanetRob

One though, maybe all of the pixels past that last one that would light are out. I used the test pattern function in the e6804 web interface, no they all light up just fine. Any ideas?
3rdPlanetRob

I've done this a few times, create a new project, make a new rgb panel, go to the simple desk, every time, the pixel strip starts at address 1 of the second universe (i am specifying for it to start in universe 1). I can see colored boxes above the sliders for universe 1, so it created the pixels, but adjusting sliders doesn't light any pixels. I'll keep trying, i could be missing something obvious..
3rdPlanetRob

In universe 3 the last slider with colored box on top i assumed was the last pixel, but all of the pixels on the strip can be adjusted by the sliders that don't have colored boxes above them. So apparently, it's putting the rgb panel on univ 2 instead of one, but still thinks it starts in universe 1, and then assigns extra sliders to the last 144 pixels, but the function apparently doesn't see those pixels as pixels since they don't light. I don't make sense, but i tried. I think it might be a bug. This is 4.10.5b, i'll try in the previous version
3rdPlanetRob

I think this is a bug- i also tried in 4.10.4, same issue. I attached a project- if you go to simple desk, you see in univ 1 that all of the sliders have been assigned to pixels, but don't control anything. If you go to universe 2, channel 1 controls the very first pixel on the strip, even tho it was created for universe 1. And if you scroll to the very last page of sliders with colored boxes above them and try to adjust the ones without colored boxes, they do control pixels on the strip.
panelBug.qxw
(94.81 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
janosvitok

Most probably you need to open e1.31 settings in Input/output tab, and match QLC+ settings to your 6804 setup. It seems that the universes are one-off.
3rdPlanetRob

I think you are right- i don't understand the settings here, i am going through the help files.. Out of frustrating i just set the ip address last numbers at random values, the other leds that weren't turning on before started blinking randomly. Not what i need, but suggests it's a setting here, i'll try to understand this section..

Thanks again
3rdPlanetRob

I still don't understand though why the leds were assigned starting at universe 2, and in the simple desk, channels that are supposedly unassigned (don't have a colored square above slider) control pixels that i couldn't find before; how everything is assigned seems almost random, though it's not- it's always the same when i recreate new project and make the rgb panel, none of it makes sense though.
3rdPlanetRob

I started over, made a new project, a new panel. i go to simple desk and all of the channels except 511 and 512 have colored squares, meaning they are assigned.

I raise channels, but no response from pixels.

I go to universe 2 and raise channels, the very first channel here controls the first pixel on the strip.

Back to fixtures tab, i select rgb panel so that the window to the right shows details for each pixel.

Pixel # 1 for example:
RGB panel - Row 1 H:1A:1 U:1

I think that means first pixel on led strip *is* assigned to channel 1 of universe 1 right? I don't know why slider for channel 1 universe 1 doesn't control it- channel 1 for universe *2* does. The channels in universe 1 don't light any pixels at all.

The settings you mention in inputs/outputs maybe is a problem, i can't understand anything in this section, will have to break it down this week.. Did anyone actually read all of that?
3rdPlanetRob

I fixed it! I feel young again whoohoo, etc etc..

You were exactly right- it was the e1.31 settings. the ip address is set to 239.255.0. (1, 2, 3 and 4) by default, for universes 1-4. I simply raised the last number in the ip address by 1 for each universe, now all works fine. I don't understand it, but that's ok, i seem to not be understanding much lately..