How do I copy an existing fixture in the Fixture Editor

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Mac OSX operating system
Baylink

I'd expected that I would be able to Load something that already exists, Save As a new name, and then edit -- but while the Fixture Manager in the main program shows a big tree of known fixture types, the Fixtures folder which is exposed by File->Open in the Fixture Editor is empty.

Looked in the PDF manual, and it didn't seem to say anything about this either.

Can I not define a new fixture as a modified duplicate of an existing one? Or am I just doing something wrong? Being able to do that is a pretty important training tool towards getting fixture definition right, it seems to me...
mcallegari

By default the Fixture editor shows the user fixture definition folder.
See http://www.qlcplus.org/docs/questionsandanswers.html, last Q&A

If you haven't created any new fixture, it is obvious that the folder is empty.
If you want to modify an existing fixture of the QLC+ library, you need to go to the proper folder, which is OS dependent, but since you haven't stated which OS you're using, I cannot help you.
Baylink

Or, you could have phrased that "which OS are you using, so I can tell you where it is."

In fact, I looked at the path that this OS/X copy pointed me to, and it was under Applications, but on second look, I see that I didn't look far enough up the path to see my own home folder in it.

A scan of the entire drive for the relevant file extension didn't help me either, though...
mcallegari

Open a terminal a do something like this to copy a fixture in your user folder:

Code: Select all

cp /Applications/QLC+.app/Contents/Resources/Fixtures/whatever.qxf $HOME/Library/Application\ Support/QLC+/Fixtures/
DO NOT edit the original fixtures.
Or, you could have phrased that "which OS are you using, so I can tell you where it is."
Or, you could have read the forum guidelines and saved 2 useless posts.
Baylink

mcallegari wrote:Open a terminal a do something like this to copy a fixture in your user folder:

Code: Select all

cp /Applications/QLC+.app/Contents/Resources/Fixtures/whatever.qxf $HOME/Library/Application\ Support/QLC+/Fixtures/
DO NOT edit the original fixtures.
Or, you could have read the forum guidelines and saved 2 useless posts.
What I *needed* was the full pathname to the System version of that folder, conspicuously absent from that FAQ, and *everywhere else I have looked*.

Look: you're a good programmer, I get that.

That still doesn't excuse you being a snotty jerk. Period. It simply doesn't.

I used to think it did, and I finally grew out of it myself, not a moment too soon.

Please stop.
mlohrey

I'm not much of a command line user and prefer this method for grabbing a sample fixture file.

Find the QLC+ application (typically in the applications folder but could be anywhere you copied it to), right-click the application and then choose 'show package contents' and then navigate to contents>resources>fixtures and then copy a fixture file and paste it somewhere else (not in the package structure). You can then work on it without affecting the original.

Cheers

Mark
Baylink

mlohrey wrote:Find the QLC+ application (typically in the applications folder but could be anywhere you copied it to), right-click the application and then choose 'show package contents' and then navigate to contents>resources>fixtures and then copy a fixture file and paste it somewhere else (not in the package structure). You can then work on it without affecting the original.
Thanks, Mark.

If there's magic around "Show Package Contents", perhaps that explains why my Finder search couldn't locate the .qxf files when I went looking for them.

Appreciate the tip.