Video on Mac full screen blanks other windows

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Mac OSX operating system
ralbrightii

I am running a Mac Mini with 3 monitors (HDMI, Mini-Displayport-> VGA, USB3.0 -> DVI -> VGA) for a production that we are going to be putting on. I have all of the screens working (a challenge right there). I have it set up with one monitor on a stand (viewing monitor), a touchscreen on the table (control monitor), and one output to a short-throw projector on the stage. They all display video correctly, and the mac recognizes them all no problems. But when I go to QLC and tell it to play a video full screen on any monitor the other monitors go blank while the video is playing. Obviously this is not desired, I want to be able to still control QLC while a video is playing.

To make this work (and to stretch the virtual console to 2 monitors), I do have "Displays have separate Spaces" turned off in Preferences under Mission Control. This allows me to stretch the virtual console between the stand up screen and the touch screen.

Tried running this in Windows and this problem does not happen, it appears to be a Mac OS X specific issue.

Has anyone else seen this problem? How can I fix it?
ralbrightii

Okay I figured this out. Due to the fact that I disabled "Displays have separate spaces" is what is causing the other monitors to black out. On Mac OS X (unlike in Windows), each monitor is considered its own "space" and when the above option is enabled, you can only maximize or size windows within that one monitor. This also allows you to full-screen applications and it will only occupy that space. HOWEVER, when you disable the above option (now the whole desktop is one "space"), and you full-screen the window, the OS gets confused and tries to span the full-screen window across every monitor, despite the content only fitting onto one monitor.

So in order to run things correctly for myself, on my triple monitor setup on the Mac OS X, I am running on the main screen QLC+, on the touchscreen, the web interface of QLC+ (different portion of the VC), and the third monitor is a projector.

I hope this helps someone else who may try to do this in the future.
mlohrey

Sounds like you have had an interesting battle with all the screen settings.

I have never used QLC+ for video triggering but use QLAB for presentations and performances. It has very powerful tools to customise output to any number of screens. The free version has some limitations but suits my purposes.

It can accept OSC commands sent from QLC+ that could trigger a video on the screen of your choice.

Might be an option for you.

Cheers
Mark
ralbrightii

mlohrey wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 5:06 am Sounds like you have had an interesting battle with all the screen settings.

I have never used QLC+ for video triggering but use QLAB for presentations and performances. It has very powerful tools to customise output to any number of screens. The free version has some limitations but suits my purposes.

It can accept OSC commands sent from QLC+ that could trigger a video on the screen of your choice.

Might be an option for you.

Cheers
Mark
Mark:

I am intrigued. Have you tried OSC between the two programs on the same computer? Hitting the button to launch the video in QLC+, which triggers a OSC statement to QLAB which then plays the video?
mlohrey

Hi

I haven't used it a great deal and there are some limitations to what you can do in QLAB in terms of control.

But basically, you use or create a universe where the output is set to OSC. You will then need to configure the output IP address and port number that you are broadcasting over. QLAB by default uses 53000 but you can alter that in QLAB if need be.

Then in a simple senario, you then can create a dimmer in that universe, create a scene with the dimmer on and then a button to trigger the scene. Once this button is clicked, you can assign the OSC trigger to an action in QLAB. You get basic control over the QLAB console. You might have to experiment with what you can achieve.

Is it is also possible to go the other way! QLAB can send OSC messages to QLC+. Lots of possibilities ... perhaps the video starts playing and the lights dim etc

Cheers

Mark
mlohrey

I did some experimentation using your method and it works quite well. I have never used qlc to trigger video. The only annoying issue is that the mac menu seems to be displayed went you set a window to have a space. Also the window containing the video doesn't seem to close when the video finishes.
ralbrightii

mlohrey wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 12:23 pm I did some experimentation using your method and it works quite well. I have never used qlc to trigger video. The only annoying issue is that the mac menu seems to be displayed went you set a window to have a space. Also the window containing the video doesn't seem to close when the video finishes.
If you are referring to my method, then yes I did notice that as well. Fortunately the projector that I am using has a feature called A/V mute which I can trigger via HTTP command. This basically turns off the projector's output, hiding that screen. Now if only I can trigger that command from within QLC+..... (is that possible....) ;) :idea: :idea: ;) :?:
janosvitok

ralbrightii wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 2:18 pm Fortunately the projector that I am using has a feature called A/V mute which I can trigger via HTTP command. This basically turns off the projector's output, hiding that screen. Now if only I can trigger that command from within QLC+..... (is that possible....) ;) :idea: :idea: ;) :?:
Have a look at Scripts
mlohrey

I am not sure about the mute on your projector but sounds like an interesting puzzle. What kind of projector is it?

Also I did some more investigation into QLAB's OSC capabilities. I was wrong about its limitations that is for sure. You can control just about everything. You will need an OSC router though. I tried OSCulator and it wasn't bad. I have limited understanding of the protocol but I was able to capture a message (say /1/dmx/1 ) from QLC+ and then convert it to a command for QLAB (/cue/1/start) that would play a video on whatever screen I wanted.

There is a free program called OSCrouter that would do as well.
ralbrightii

mlohrey wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 1:10 pm I am not sure about the mute on your projector but sounds like an interesting puzzle. What kind of projector is it?
It is a Mitsubishi projector, I am quite certain it has AV Mute as it is a higher end one. I am used to dealing with Epson which has a http accessible interface that has a button that mutes the Audio/Video and display of the projector (effectively turning it standby mode, but leaving the bulb warmed up.) I am borrowing it from a friend for our production, and he is letting me get it next week. At that time I will investigate its capabilities further and figure out how I will do A/V mute. I should be able to integrate that into Automator for Mac and then have QLC+ run that program.
mlohrey wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 1:10 pm Also I did some more investigation into QLAB's OSC capabilities. I was wrong about its limitations that is for sure. You can control just about everything. You will need an OSC router though. I tried OSCulator and it wasn't bad. I have limited understanding of the protocol but I was able to capture a message (say /1/dmx/1 ) from QLC+ and then convert it to a command for QLAB (/cue/1/start) that would play a video on whatever screen I wanted.

There is a free program called OSCrouter that would do as well.
Could you post the sample files that you created in either program please. I am much more of a visual learner and seeing it in someone else's design will make a LOT more sense to me than describing it. Or if possible, a step-by-step. Thank you.
janosvitok

(Possible Cpt. Obvious :) ) If your friend can tell you the model #, most probably you can find manual on the net describing capabilities and interfaces.
You may post it here as well, maybe others will have an idea how to connect QLC+ to the projector.
ralbrightii

janosvitok wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 5:47 pm (Possible Cpt. Obvious :) ) If your friend can tell you the model #, most probably you can find manual on the net describing capabilities and interfaces.
You may post it here as well, maybe others will have an idea how to connect QLC+ to the projector.
Nice idea. It is a Mitsubishi NW31U-EST

So I was had an epihany, why not just launch VLC through a script with the necessary options outlined. Got that working BEAUTIFULLY. Went to add that script into a show.... not supported?? Can you not add scripts to shows? I mean while yes I can launch the video manually, and then trigger some of the other effects manually. I would prefer to be able to script all of the actions for these numbers. (That way my attention can be put to more important details during the performance, such as transferring mics to different actors and such...)
hjk

mlohrey wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 12:23 pm I did some experimentation using your method and it works quite well. I have never used qlc to trigger video. The only annoying issue is that the mac menu seems to be displayed went you set a window to have a space. Also the window containing the video doesn't seem to close when the video finishes.
Has anyone found out how to automatically close the window after the video? I have the problem that the next video then runs behind the window that is not closed and is therefore not visible.
Thanks in advance for any ideas!
ralbrightii

hjk wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:42 pm
Has anyone found out how to automatically close the window after the video? I have the problem that the next video then runs behind the window that is not closed and is therefore not visible.
Thanks in advance for any ideas!
If memory serves, I used a script that invoked a taskkill command for all VLC instances. I believe the command was

Code: Select all

taskkill /IM "vlc.exe" /f
Hint, I just tested that from windows and command prompt and it did in fact kill the VLC program.

I believe for Mac that the command would be

Code: Select all

killall vlc
I cannot test this as I do not have my lighting computer handy at the moment. Hopefully this helps.

(Sorry if I am a bit vague I did post this 4 years ago. :D :D :D :D )