Am I limited to 128 scenes using Ableton?

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Mac OSX operating system
samatnyc

Hi peeps,

So I have one channel of MIDI out going into QLC+ and it works awesomely. Problem is I have 11 fixtures and I will eat up 128 scenes very quickly. I know I can double that using program changes but that's kinda wieldy on Live.

Any suggestions? I tried using a different channel for a different fixture, but I don't think QLC+ can accept more than one channel at a time. Also tried multiple IAC diver ports and that's a no go too it seems. Even tried triggering two scenes at once (which would be my favorite solution) and didn't get that to work.

Anyone care to help?

Many thanks!
Sam
Michigan, USA
2012 MacBook Pro Retina, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM
OS X 10.12.3 beta
Enttech DMXUSB Pro
Primarily using w/Ableton Live 9.7 for use w/gigging cover band
janosvitok

Sammy,

here you can find MIDI messages that you can use: http://www.qlcplus.org/docs/midiplugin.html#channelsmap
If you set the MIDI plugin to OMNI mode (channel "1-16") then you can respond to messages on any channel.
Just add 4096 to message number for each additional MIDI channel - MIDI channel 1 messages map to channels 1-532,
MIDI channel 2 messages map to 4096+1 to 4096+532, CH 3 map 2x4096+1 etc. and finally CH 16 starts at 15*4096+1

Multiple ports: you need to create separate universe for each MIDI port you want to use. It is recommended to not mix input (MIDI/OSC) and output (DMX/artnet)
universes anyway. I.e. create one universe for each input device/port and one universe for each DMX universe you use.

Multiple scenes: Create Collections for scenes you want to trigger together. Then you can assign the collection to a button.

You may assign scenes/collections to a Chaser, create Cue List in the virtual console and
- either assign Next/Prev buttons to a MIDI message so that you can just advance the sequence from Ableton,
- or assign MIDI message to select a step directly (you will have to find out how e.g. note velocity maps to individual steps)

You may create multipage frame, so that you need MIDI Notes for one page, but you can switch pages as you need
(you can't switch directly to a page using MIDI, just next/prev).

If you have more questions. just ask.
samatnyc

Fan-freaking-tastic! That'll do it!

I'm happy as a clam...a clam that's in the basement programming light scenes, anyway.

Thanks so much!
Sam
Michigan, USA
2012 MacBook Pro Retina, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM
OS X 10.12.3 beta
Enttech DMXUSB Pro
Primarily using w/Ableton Live 9.7 for use w/gigging cover band