QLC+ on Linux Advice

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Linux operating system
cas

Hi,

Just another off topic from my previous post, can anyone advise if the QLC+ Software will work on all distros of Linux as I am potentially looking at installing on the following system to make a portable console with midi controller.

Computer Spec:
Gigabyte BRIX Mini PC Intel Celeron N2807 Barebone
Processor: 22nm Celeron N2807 to deliver to the most intuitive and integrated operating systems in the world
RAM: 4GB (might upgrade to 8GB if need to later on) (1x SO-DIMM DDR3L Slots (1333 Mhz))
Storage: 32GB SSD (2.5" HDD/SSD 7.0/9.5mm Hard Drives, 1 z 3Gbps SATA2))
Wifi + Bluetooth
Ethernet Gigabit
Audio Jack

Intel Nuc Tall Arches Canyon NUC6CAYH Celeron J3455 Barebone
Processor: Intel Celeron J3455 (2M Cache, up to 2.3Ghz)
RAM: 4, 6 or 8GB (Max 8Gb, DDR3L-1600/1866 1.35V SO-DIMM (2 Memory Channels))
Storage: 32 GB
Wifi and Bluetooth.

Both computers will be run from 10" Screen, will this be big enough for the software, might even do dual screens, and would the DMX monitor be able to be displayed on the second screen. also both systems will be running the USB OPEN DMX adapter.

Much Appreciated for your help and advice.
Last edited by cas on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
janosvitok

Distro:

QLC+ will run on most ditros provided QT runs there. Either a build is provided (see http://qlcplus.org/downloads.html for a list of supported distros) or you can build your own.
I'd recommend Ubuntu but really choose one that you know best.

Horsepower: depends on the size of your rig. If you want to play audio or video, that changes the game a lot. Also large RGB panels (with thousands of channels) need more CPU.
For simple rigs, either of the machines should be enough. When Raspberry Pi can run a QLC+, your configurations surely can. Note that Raspberry is (said to be) too slow to create/edit
workspace, but it's enough to run a prepared show. I personally use Odroid C0 (4 core ARM, 1GB ram, 16 GB SD card) and I run full lubuntu there with ~100 channels output and a MIDI controller.

Screen resolution: 1024x768 resolution is absolute minimum; The larger the better. It also depends on how complicated your virtual console is. Lesser resulolution (and sometimes also 1024x768) is
too small to display QLC+ editors.

DMX output: I'd recommend you get at least the pro version or even some ArtNet node. Open USB depends on machine CPU for proper DMX timing -- the timing precision is not very good,
especially under higher load. DMX Pro has a buffer and own chip to do the timing, so it's much more stable. QLC+ communicates with ArtNet/sACN/e1.31 nodes (Enttec ODE/DMX King eDMX/...) using ethernet and TCP/IP, that means: 1. you don't need special driver 2. you can connect the node using wifi if you need 3. has own processor so again much more stable 4. you can have many nodes on the network
so you can simplify the cabling if needed.
cas

Thanks for the information, so if I choose to use an odroid, will this work perfectly with a usb hub, as I would need to install the USB DMX adapter, wireless keyboard and USB AKAI APC Mini (Midi Controller) or would I be better going bigger.

Also for the screen I am thinking about is a resolution of (1024×600 (native), 1920×1080 (maximum)) or another one, here is the link Screen Resolution: 1366(H) * 768(V) pixels https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyoyo-11-6inch ... 5B6VYCQ4Y7

Only looking at running 6 x LEDJ Q Colour Lights, 4 Generic Dimmers, 1 Generic Strobe, 1 Generic UV and potentially 1 Generic Follow Spot to switch on and off. would and oroid be suitable for this or better going NUC size as discussed previously.

Setup is purely for DMX lighting, but may on occasions have to play a few audio or effects but not permanently.

Thanks for you help.
cas

A slight update to the screen issue I have found a DIY screen, and have contacted the suppliers to verify the resolution as per your previous post of 1024x768 minimum resolution, the company have confirmed that this 10.1" HD screen has a native resolution of 1280x800! will this work with the system on the NUC Celeron 2.3Ghz processor with 4GB ram and 32gb SSD storage. Screen has own low power supply.
cas

Have been researching into smaller devices and from what you have said previous regarding your set up, would the Odroid XU4 8 core 2GB Ram, be suitable to run QLC+ for a small under 10 theatre lighting rig, no workspaces to be setup, as will use template, however cues to be added and to run shows, this is a cheaper solution to my previous as budget is tight, I can always upgrade to a better processor as needed.

Whats your thoughts, was looking at a full 10.1" HDMI LCD Screen (1360x768), might actually go for dual screens.

Thanks again.
cas

Looking at a different single board computer, will this run the full QLC+ software on Lubuntu, here is the specs....(budget is small at the moment so will look to expand in the future.)

Spec: ASUS 2 GB SBC Tinker Board - Black
CPU Interface: Rockchip RK3288 Cortex-A17 Quad-core 1.8GHz
• RAM Technology: 2GB LPDDR3 (Dual Channel)
• Storage Controller(s): Micro SD (TF) card slot - (16GB Sandisk Micro SD)

If I go for this one, how can I get QLC+ running on this, as reading another post for Tinker Board, it will 99% work, as I am new to development, can someone please help to see if this is feasible before I go out and buy this board, do I just download QLC+ from the website, or do I need to install with command line. Also how would I go about getting the Enttec Open USB DMX installed, til the budget is there to get the Pro version, or DMXKing Ultra USB (£60). As this Tinker Board has more power CPU will this impact for the best on QLC+ as this is all that the OS (Lubuntu) will be handling on the computer as well as 2 usb akai mini devices.

Thanks for your help and support.
Last edited by cas on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
cas

Hello, while my last posting was in the windows section for Lattepanda, I am also keeping my options open within the Linux section as well,
would the standard QLC+ 4 work on Linux operating system on the Tinker Board (Spec as below....very similar to Lattepanda for windows)

Operating System - Debian
Processor - ARM Cortex-A17 Processor, Quad Core, 1.8Ghz
RAM - 2GB LPDDR3 Dual-Channel
Connect - 801.11 bgn wireless, Ethernet, Bluetooth
USB - 4x USB2, 1xMicro USB
Video - 1x HDMI 2.0, 1x CSI, 1x DSI
Audio - 3.5mm Jack

Needing something small to fit inside a small wooden box frame that will run QLC+ well, lighting right is a dozen lights at the most, with the odd
creating/editing scenes.

Also on another note how would the Enttec Open DMX adapter work with Tinkerboard, is it simply a plug in and play as well as the usb for AKAI APC Mini controller.
Their budget is small so looking to do this as cheaply as possible.

Much Appreciated for your assistance and support with the device.
janosvitok

FWIW: I use Odroid C1 (the original) with lubuntu 14.04 (never found time to upgrade) with no problem for a small rig (<20 fixtures - 4 moving heads, 2 led bars, and some conventionals, ~170 channels + BCF2000)
I use DMXKing eDMX1 though. I used to use open dmx clone and I don't remember any problems.
cas

Thanks for your reply and help, only £50 odd pound so might just get one to try this and simply plug in the Enttec to try this and then try and download the QLC software and transfer file across, so 2GB sud be enough power small a small rig, (6 LEDJ, 1 moving head, 4 generic dimmers, 1 par can RGB).

janosvitok wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:29 am FWIW: I use Odroid C1 (the original) with lubuntu 14.04 (never found time to upgrade) with no problem for a small rig (<20 fixtures - 4 moving heads, 2 led bars, and some conventionals, ~170 channels + BCF2000)
I use DMXKing eDMX1 though. I used to use open dmx clone and I don't remember any problems.
cas

Hello,

Just looking an the opportunity of the Rasp Pi, as cheaper for the project, if I setup the entire show file on another computer will this work to make slight edits to cues or if I use standard colours for lighting and positions will this work,

only got 6 LED, 4 generic freshnels (dmx dimmer) and 1 or 2 pinspots. not a big setup.

How can I build the system on a rasp pi, also will the rasp pi work with Enttec OpenUSB and a Midi Controller (AKAI Mini).......mostly will all run from a built in monitor, but how how I go about connecting it to a tablet web browser etc, as I like this as can setup at back and take the tablet with me. if needing to do certain tasks.