MPD PCM to QLC+ Audio in

Ask a question about the usage of QLC+ with the Linux operating system
technosf

Hello,

I am investigating if can have QLC+ use MPD Redbook PCM output as an audio input.

I am using QLC+ 4.10.5b on a linux 4.8.0-39 kernel. I have MPD dumping the PCM it is playing to a fifo file in /tmp using the alsa config. Cava reads the data just fine. I would like QLC+ to pick up this output and read it as an audio trigger.

Would anyone have experience or ideas on how to create a device to do the routing into QLC+?

Thanks in advance.
mcallegari

As if everyone knows what MPD Redbook and Cava is...

Without knowing any of it, I'd say: why a fifo ?? Can't you just pick up the data directly from ALSA in QLC+ ?
technosf

My apologies:
MPD is a network music server that can duplicate and split its output - a nice feature if you want to play one stream and use another for some other purpose. Redbook is CD PCM 44100Hz, 16bit, 2 channels. Cava is a little Fast Fourier Transformation utility that can pick up Linux Names Pipes (FIFO) data and create an audio spectrum. Creating the FIFO output from MPD is dead simple - as is picking it up in cava. As a separate stream, I don't have to mess with ALSA routing which means less to go wrong.

Picking up audio off an virtual effect loop is in the docs using module snd-aloop, but after trying with ALSA and snd-aloop, I can some times get audio into QLC+, but never back out to the audio hardware. I would dearly like to hear if anyone else has done this and how!

QLC+ is, as an freewhere project, pretty darn amazing. TY!