QLC+ Stops responding

The issues found when using the Input/Output Manager panel
mgweber

Correct, I am running two universes of output with no input. I have tested with a single universe off another system using a Enttec pro (not the mk2) and didn't notice any problem but it could be that I just didn't wait long enough. Tonight I will take this other system (windows 10 Dell laptop) and connect it to the theater's enttec mk2 and run the rehearsal to see if it behaves. If it does that will become my show system instead of the theater's computer.

I previously tried complete uninstall and reinstall of QLC+ and the Ftdi drivers with no noticeable change.

The maddening thing is the randomness. Usually, if there is some known issue I can work around or avoid it. The program will crash while sitting there without touching the system. I do have a chaser running with infinite duration scenes but IIRC it has also done this without a chaser active. I just look up and see the error dialog saying that the program has stopped responding.

Many releases ago I was using the program on a Vista laptop and QLC+ had its issues when editing some of the scenes but I had no issues while running the cues. Now it is the opposite :-( I have no idea if it is a configuration or driver or program issue.

Thank you.
mcallegari

Random crashes have been reported several times in this forum. See
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10628
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9865
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10276

but unless I am able to reproduce them myself or someone come up with a debug log of the crash, this is very hard to resolve, especially if it takes hours to happen.
mgweber

I agree and understand, this was why I started the thread by asking how can I gather more information so that there is a possibility of figuring out the problem. Any way to enable detailed logging or generate a crash dump or something like a core file? I know how this is impossible to diagnose without more information. I am hopeful that running on my personal laptop will yield different results. This would then point the finger to some configuration or software incompatibility on the theater's system.

I will look at the links you posted to see if I can find a common thread. I need to narrow it down from it could be anything. That's not very helpful.

Thank you for your help and the fine work you do on this program.
mcallegari

To be honest, Windows is the most difficult platform to debug on.
Linux is much better in that sense, and macOS can produce nice crash logs as well.
So I'm afraid at the moment there's nothing you can do to help on this :(

If you have the chance, I would say give Linux a try. You can easily start a live image from a USB pendrive, install QLC+ and load your project.
mgweber

Sigh...I was afraid that was the boat I'm in. I've done a fair bit of software development on unix boxes but my windows experience is thin to say the least.

I'm looking at three options now. 1) Linux usb boot drive (thanks for the idea). I've not been willing to completely wipe the Win10 install on their system so this might be a good middle ground. 2) Using an art net interface either the DMXKing edmx4 or the Enttec Ehtergate Mk3 and 3) Some other controller.

Is there a preference on the art net node? My gut feeling is that the connection to the USB Dmx controller is the source of the trouble. The other thing I've noticed is that the UI has tendency to slow down when connected to the USB DMX controller. Possibly using the art net interface would remove this issue.

Thank you.
mgweber

Quick update. I tried the live boot from USB drive but didn't like that because I would need to install everything every time I booted the system.

What I did do which worked very well is to create a Linux vm in virtual box. I got everything configured and installed the drivers at home then when I got to the theater I installed virtual box, copied the virtual disk file and everything was up and running. It has been solid through final dress and 3 shows which equates to about 20 hours of usage (considering pre and post show wait time).

The UI is a bit sluggish in the VM (the fades are smooth) so I am planning on setting up the system to dual boot Win 10 and Linux. I am very happy to have a reliable system!

Thank you for your suggestions.
mcallegari

catamitu

Hi, i am new here but i'm using QLC+ since 2016. Many thanks to Massimo. Great job.
I would like to share a quick conclusion after i tested 2 projects of mine.
One, is for a music school and contains some karaoke music and lights show. This works perfectly.
But the second, is for a theater scene. This project crashed often.

But, good news for me (and for you, i hope): the problem dissapeared after modifying ALL sequences with duration 0ms (used in chasers with loops) with any other value (1000ms and 100ms in my case).

No sequences in my projects with duration zero since now.

No other crased encountered after this. Hope it will be useful for you.

Thank you again, Massimo!

WIN 7, 3Gb RAM, AMD