ArtNet output connection dropout

The issues found when using the Input/Output Manager panel
ArvidGustafsson

Hi all!

Ive just starting QLC and I really enjoy it. I recently bought this ArtNet to DMX interface, in QLC it says the node is "v0.2 Toni Merino".
I get a connection to my fixture and can also move the sliders to change the light. However almost momentarily or momentairly the connection stops and the light stays on the last "light" it was showing. QLC does not hang so I can still use it. If I reset the output (untickning and ticking the box) the light works again, but usually only works 1 second again (and so on). So if Ive changed the slider in between the stops, the light changes to the "new light", but then again stops responding to sliders. So basically it gets a signal/response but only for a brief second.

Im using Windows 10. Ive tried on 2 computers. Ive tried with Freestyler and there my ArtNet works with no trouble. Ive tried different older versions of QLC and ofcourse the latest v4.10.4. Ive tried changing ArtNet universe (then it doesnt work at all).

Any ideas on this?

Regards
Arvid Gustafsson
plugz

Hi,

Which operating system are you running QLC+ on ?
ArvidGustafsson

As I wrote Im using Windows 10. Tried two different computers (same error) but both of them on Win10.

My interface is using IP 2.0.0.10 and I have to set my network-card to 2.0.0.1. ArtNet broadcast should be the usual 2.255.255.255. But as I wrote, it is working on Freestyler. But I wanted to use QLC instead!

One thing Ive noticed is that QLC picks up 2 nodes when outputting 2.0.0.1. One of them is Toni Merino and the other says "QLC Artnet Interface". Is it supposed to show up like this? (See attached picture)

Regards
Arvid
Attachments
Screenshot from QLC
Screenshot from QLC
picture.png (9.67 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
janosvitok

I see IPv6 addresses here. I don't know how QLC+ handles them, and I think ArtNet is not defined for IPv6 yet.
Try to unbind/disable IPV6 for your network adapter (network adapter/properties, uncheck "Internet Protocol Version 6" or google your own way)

Two devices are normal: what you see is the artnet adapter, and QLC+'s own Artnet output/input.
ArvidGustafsson

Alright Ive got an update on this one!

Tried disabling Ipv6 from ethernet controller but that didnt entirely fix the problem. However I could run the lights for longer but still after a while It dropped out.

One thing Ive learnt is that when moving alot of sliders up and down fast (sending alot of data?). The problem appears sooner. This got me thinking there is some data overload? This got me checking the settings for my ethernet controller and changing the setting of "Flow control" to "TX and RX enabled" reduced the time for the problem to appear even more! (I even thought i fixed it at first). But after some minutes of running and being active with the sliders I suddenly loose control again?!

Im going crazy about this. Having this DJ gig this weekend, not sure if I can rely on my rig. =/
BrunoF

Hi,

I believe this is a case of a bad design Art-Net product. QLC+ sends by default a full DMX512 frame each 20mS. DMX512 max. fps is 44, so... Two things are happening: 1) QLC+ is sending more fps than it should for Art-Net to DMX512 converters, and 2) your device run out of internal buffers to store incoming data (because it's receiving more data it can send over DMX512) and choking to death (very poor device design in that case).

I already submit an issue related to QLC+ sending framse way too fast for DMX-512 but can't see it. Maybe needs admin approval? Don't know, I'm new here.

Cheers.
mcallegari

http://www.qlcplus.org/docs/parameterstuning.html
see 4.5. Change it to 44 and see if that works.
ArvidGustafsson

Sorry, late reply.

I solved my problem by simply changing the output to "partial" and now it works without dropouts whatsoever. But I might also test the above method of changing frequency because Im thinking that could also work. Might just be that my cheap artnet-dmx converter cant handle those 50fps.