How to output cues from Show manager to other lighting console?

The issues found when using the Show Manager panel
Kwiksnail

Hi Everyone,

It's my first time using QLC and I love it!

I created a show in Show Manager that syncs my par lights to a video with music. Now I need to send cues to another lighting software at the venue so we can synchronize my show with their moving head lights. QLC will control the pars and the venue software will control the moving heads. They need to be synced perfectly to music which i am playing from qlc in show manager.

How do i do this? I looked at all the documentations and all I can find is how to enable the inputs and outputs.

But, How do I create trigger messages in QLC to send out in my show? ideally I can send output messages at different times of my show to cue the other lighting software.

any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
plugz

Hello,

What's the other lighting software ?

Does it handle either:
OSC, ArtNet, or E1.31 ?
Kwiksnail

Im not sure what software the other lighting software as i still need to consult with them.

Right now the most important thing I want to understand is how do I set output cues in show manager?

For explanation sake lets say their lighting software can take midi input. How would I set up the midi output cues in qlc?

(Any explanation for generating output cues using any output protocol will also help)

Thanks
MrTK

Anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong, but QLC wont send midi messages. (except feedback? in a sense). Pretty much no lighting software is meant to do this. But the other software/ consoles operate by Midi Show Control, which only send certain signals. You can set up a third party MSC software to control QLC and the other persons show. This is my impression, that Lighting software isnt really meant to send midi signals (except to sync two compatible consoles), unless you use a fader wing or a compatible controller as a midi device to control a capable software.

HMM>..... ive used an APC40 to control qlc, If i enable output on a new universe, will it sent the commands out? Then maybe use third party software to convert the cues to a compatible command for thatever device the other guy uses. IF its a MSC compatible device, convert your signals to MSC cue commands.

Im literally just mumbling out loud.. i will stop so i wont confuse you, since im not really an expert in this.
plugz

MrTK wrote:Anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong, but QLC wont send midi messages.
You're wrong :)

Just setup a universe output to midi. When a channel in this universe changes, a midi message will be sent.

So just add simple fixtures and scenes to this universe. Play the scenes to send midi messages.
Kwiksnail

.Just setup a universe output to midi. When a channel in this universe changes, a midi message will be sent.

So just add simple fixtures and scenes to this universe. Play the scenes to send midi messages.
Thanks plugz. Can you please describe step by step how to do this? Where in qlc do I set a fixture to output a midi channel?
plugz

Just setup a universe output to midi. When a channel in this universe changes, a midi message will be sent.
Go to the input/output tab, set a universe output to midi. Like universe 4.
THEN add a simple dimmer fixture to universe 4, channel 1.
THEN create a scene that changes this dimmer fixture.

When the scene is activated, it will change channel 1 of universe 4. As universe 4 output is midi, a midi message will be sent.
Kwiksnail

Well that sounds easy enough! Thanks for the quick reply and thorough instructions plugz :D

I'll give it a shot and report on my progress.

P.s.

I'm going to create a video tutorial for the show manager when I get a chance. I found there wasn't much info and I'd love to give back to this community.
Kwiksnail

I've started testing the Midi out in QLC. But I have a problem. QLC only sends MIDI output in Simple Desk. It does not output MIDI using functions, Show Manager or the Virtual Console.

In QLC+ I set universe 2 to output Midi using the Loop B internal Midi driver. I added a generic 1 channel dimmer fixture to universe 2.
I then patched the Loop B Midi into MidiOX to monitor its output.

MidiOX is showing Midi message activity on the midi port when I change the dimmer intensity in Simple Desk. However MidiOX shows nothing if I execute functions with the same fixture.

Why doesn't QLC output Midi using Functions?

I'm running Windows 7 using QLC 4.103a

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
OddSocks

Hi,

Just a silly question, you have reset the simple desk after using it to test the output, using the X button by the page arrows?
Kwiksnail

OddSocks wrote:Hi,

Just a silly question, you have reset the simple desk after using it to test the output, using the X button by the page arrows?
:oops: yes that fixed the problem! everything works fine now, I'm now getting midi output in the functions and show.

Thanks everyone!
plugz

OddSocks wrote: Just a silly question, you have reset the simple desk after using it to test the output, using the X button by the page arrows?
First thing to check. After, if it does not fix the issue, please share the workspace file.