RGB Matrix "background color"

The issues found when using the Function Manager panel
RikSolo

Hey all.

I've been using QLC+ for a few months now and I'm absolutely loving it, but I miss one thing.
When I have an RGB matrix (odd/even for example) I'll either have all the lights that aren't on in the script off, or it'll blend the color of the lights that are off with colors set outside of the matrix function. I'd like to be able to set a "background color" for the matrix functions, so that i can for example say that odd/even switches between say red and blue. The only way i can currently do this is manually program a chase for this which can take up a lot of time.

(sidenote: I do have experience with RGB script coding, so even a way to pass a second color to the scripts would be fine for me)

I hope this could be implemented in some feature update. keep up the good work!
plugz

Hello,

See "pattern blend mode"

http://qlcplus.org/docs/rgbmatrixeditor.html
RikSolo

I've tried these, but they still result in either some form of color blending or fixtures being turned off.
What i'm looking for is in some way specifying 2 colors and alternating between them (in the case of odd/even)
plugz

Could a new blend mode do what you want ?
A "replace" blend mode ?
RikSolo

Yes, if replace would mean what i think it would (replacing the color that the fixture is with the color set in the matrix (and reverting afterwards, of course)), it would do exactly what i needed it to!
siegmund

Hi,

just wanted to say, "replace" mode would be great!
MrTK

I have a relevent question that may or may not give a different perspective to what is trying to be achieved... Can the matrix be set to ~LTP instead of ~HTP? (im sorry if this is a no brainer.) What im trying to do it maybe have a few buttons/faders for live mixing with colors for led fixtures, and when i turn on a matrix, odd/even, for example, for the color of the matrix to take over and not just blend into the colors i have pre-selected as the "background." IF that makes sense at all.. Is there a way to do this?
MrTK

I may have just answered my own question... Would choosing the "mask" blend mode achieve what i want?
RikSolo

MrTK wrote:I may have just answered my own question... Would choosing the "mask" blend mode achieve what i want?
well, no. What mask mode does is when you for example have your lights set to red, and you turn on the matrix in mask mode, it uses the color that the lights are as the color for the matrix, and turns off all the other lights. What you described was the proposed "replace" blending mode.

Also, you can't set an rgb matrix to LTP, because HTP/LTP is channel based, not function/scene/matrix/etc based.
simu73

Hi everybody

This feature would be something i'm dreaming of since i started using QLC+. The "blend modes" are a step in the right direction and gave me some hope. But as (probably many) others i'd like to sometimes run a chaser over a background without merging the colors.

So the "replace" mode would be exactly the great tool. Additional idea: For an efficient and flexible use of the blend modes (an by the way also for the forward / backwards / ping-pong mode) it would be great to be able to change the mode "live" in the VC (for example via the animations widget).

The possibility to assign LTP / HTP to functions or VC faders (instead only to fixture channels) would also be great, but this would probably be a huge task affecting the whole engine. Maybe something for QLC+ 5 ?

But anyway big thanks to all those who worked for QLC+ developpement. Yet in the current state it's a great tool and updates are coming faster than i'm able to update and test ;-)

Simon.
Using the latest available release of QLC+ (QT5) via the Linux automated builds .
Enttec DMX USB Pro Mk2 - ELC SideKick fader 10 / Behringer BCF 2000
Lubuntu core 14.04 on a Thinkpad T400 (Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 @ 2.4 GHz; 2 GB Ram)
MrTK

Thanks for addressing my reply.. Im learning. ;)

But the "on the fly direction/program change might actually be possible with something like what qlc 5 looks like.. I had a friend who ran a few led par cans using jands software. What he was doing is pretty much just selecting the fixtures and mixing, or "creating scenes," on the fly. He was a complete lighting newb, but it looked better than the things i was doing with an old etc expression board and led par cans. :)

Good luck, all!
RikSolo

Question to the devs: would this even be possible?
plugz

Everything is possible, but available time is not infinite.
yokosuna

*schupps*
GGGss

simu73 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:33 am The possibility to assign LTP / HTP to functions or VC faders (instead only to fixture channels) would also be great, but this would probably be a huge task affecting the whole engine. Maybe something for QLC+ 5 ?
Through the use of feedback channels you could achieve this ... even in version 4.x
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
yokosuna

My solution - may not be exactly the same as requested from the ts:
- create a matrix A (even/odd, for example), using "white" as the color an "subtracive" as the mode, uncheck "dimming". This will bring every value to zero when executed.
- create a matrix B (even/odd, for example), using your desired "second" color and the standard mode
- place both in a collection C, matrix A first, then B second.
Now, you can choose any "primary" color you like and run the collection C on top of it, preserving the selected primary
color throughout the matrix run.
Works with every rgb matrix i´ve tested.