Fine movements

The issues found when using the Function Manager panel
omar86

Hi all! I'm preparing a show with two Robe Robin 600LED Wash. I have different scenes with different positions of pan and tilt (pan fine and tilt fine too), fade in/out and I'm copying them from an old show on an Avolites Pearl 2004. I've noticed that on the Pearl when I click GO every 1 value of pan has 255 value of pan fine, while on qlc+ they move together. Isn't Qlc+ supporting fine pan and fine tilt 16 bit? I read that someone is working on it...
janosvitok

It is not supported yet. The plans exist, but free time not...
omar86

For now the solution could be to give some value to the pan/tilt speed channel? but I'm not sure it's compatible with the fade in/out of the chaser. I've not the Robin with me so I'm just programming in blind mode.
janosvitok

Currently fine and coarse channels are handled separately in fades between scenes. They are handled properly in EFX and Virtual console XY Pads.

For scenes, either set the same value for fine channel (perhaps 0 or 127), or just exclude the fine channels from scenes.
omar86

But will the fixture move linear without fine values?

EDIT: It's a problem also with zoom fine channel
Anyone can confirm that the movement is linear without fine values?
janosvitok

What do you mean by "linear"? If you mean smooth enough, it depends on range (how much) and speed (how fast) does it move. The longer and the slower the movement is, the less it will be smoother.
Each value/step corresponds to an angle of movement. For 540 degree pan range, one course step is ~2 degrees. As long as you do let's say 4 steps per second (my guess, no real data),
the movement should be smooth enough even without fine channel. On the other hand, if you want to a 40 degree movement in 5 minutes, you'll get one step every 15 seconds.

It also depends on how far the projection surface is from the source. 2 degree step in 2 metres may be ok, at 15 metres may not.

What you may try to do is to create EFX, use line 2 pattern (it goes from one end to the other), do not use relative mode, compute width, height and speed to match your intended movement.
Then create collection with this EFX and the scene without the movement. If you need to fade colors as well, you'll most probably also need to put both scenes in a chaser.
like this:
Collection: EFX+Chaser[Scene1, Scene2].
I'm not sure whether is it possible to properly adjust timing in such case.

Although EFX will work also over zoom channel, it won't use fine channel.

Hope this helps.

Jano
omar86

Ok I'll try your solution but I think it's really necessary to implement this 16bit parameter as soon as possible cause moving heads start to be the standard not only in theatrical reality but also in cinematographic reality and in these cases stop positioning and fade positioning are used every day.
Thank you for your work and I really would know how to code to participate!