Scene editor - fixture grouping button behavior

The issues found when using the Function Manager panel
fgibaux

Hi,

The fixture grouping button behavior is dependent of the selected fixtures in the "fixtures used in this scene" list panel.

Step to reproduce :
- create a new project with at least 2 generic RGB fixtures
- create a scene and add the fixtures, there is one tab per fixture
- clic on the fixture grouping button, there is now one tab "all fixtures"
- select only one fixture in the "fixtures used in this scene" list panel
- clic on the fixture grouping button, there is now only one tab for the selected fixture

It seems to me that the expected behavior should be that all the fixtures used in the scene have a tab, whether there are selected or not.

qlc+ version : 4.10.4 on Debian Linux 32bit

Regards,

Florent
mcallegari

This seems to me more an opinion rather than an issue.

Do the same steps you mentioned above, but with 30 generic RGB fixtures.
It turns out it can be a convenient feature for some usage cases.

And by the way, to solve your case, just select another function and then the Scene again. You'll have your tabs back in no time.

PS. Wow, there are still people using 32bit Linux distros ? May I ask why ?
Most likely, with QLC+ 5 I will drop support for 32bit as well as Qt4.
Deece

Hi, Just jumping in to answer re 32 bit. sry.
My theater group had a pc donated to run the lights. It is old, and 32bit. But runs the lights (and sfx) really well.
:)
Deece.
fgibaux

Hi,

Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding, and now I see the point to be able to select a set of fixtures.
In that case, wouldn't it be even better to change the tab list (or the feature list in 'All Features') on the actual selection change ? rather than to have to click again on the feature grouping tab ?

As for the 32 bit system, it's a long time I installed my system and didn't bother to upgrade to 64bit... thanks for the reminder I'll do it soon :)

Anyway thanks for the quick response.

Florent
mcallegari

fgibaux wrote:Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding, and now I see the point to be able to select a set of fixtures.
In that case, wouldn't it be even better to change the tab list (or the feature list in 'All Features') on the actual selection change ? rather than to have to click again on the feature grouping tab ?
To be honest, what you observed is not an intentional feature, but thinking about it, it can become one.
You are right though that the behaviour between Fixtures/All fixtures modes should be consitent.
Among the million things pending in my todo list, I'll see if there is time also to look into this.

As for 32bit systems, let me rephrase my statement: QLC+ 5 will depend on a very recent version of the Qt libraries (presumably 5.8+)
Now...
Mac OS builds are already 64bit only since a long time.
Right now Windows builds are 32bit only and it is my intention to switch over to 64bit. Not for particular performance improvements I am aware of, but guys, PCs are 64bit since 10+ years now, and recent Windows are 64bit as well. So it seems logical to me to blend into a system that looks to the future...and not to the past.
Linux instead has a freaking huge fragmentation from this point of view. I couldn't even rely on the presence of so recent versions of Qt, so I'll have to prepare a self contained bundle with the Qt libs in it. Since it is cumbersome to maintain a million of different builds, 64bit only is the choice.
The Raspberry Pi software instead will stay 32bit only, until the Raspberry Foundation will decide to switch to 64bit as well, which ATM means Raspberry Pi 3 only.