400 Fixture definitions goal

Public announcements of new QLC+ releases.

PLEASE, do not post bugs and issues here !
Massimo Callegari

Hi everyone,
I am very pleased to notice that the QLC+ community is actively contributing with new fixture definitions.
This, among other things, makes QLC+ a valuable software often ready to be used "out of the box".

As of today, there are 380 fixtures online. We started with just 167 fixtures inherited from the QLC project.

QLC+ is an open source project, developed by volounteers and their spare time, but I believe that goals are what carry this project on and grow day by day thanks to an active community.

On November 5th 2014, QLC+ gets 2 years old and I would be pleased if we can celebrate with another goal achieved: **400 Fixtures definitions**.

This is basically an early call to anyone that wants to help in reaching this target.
So, if you have unshared fixtures or have seen fixtures commonly used in clubs, gigs or theatres, I would appreciate if you can share (or create) and submit them in the forum: http://sourceforge.net/p/qlcplus/discussion/fixtures/

Just one minor recommendation: I am aware there are a plethora of chinese-unnamed lights out there. I would keep them out of QLC+ as it is almost impossible that most of the users can benefit from them.

Keep up the good work and thanks to everyone !

**EDIT: as of October 12th, the goal has been reached ! Thanks a lot to everyone who contributed. Keep up the community sharing !**
Boxy

If someone gives me a fixture they want adding, I'll do it if I can get the data.

Anybody?
Boxy

Massimo, how about a repository for the dodgy Chinese gear etc on the web?

I will post a fixture on the definitions forum if I make one, regardless of whether it's a posh €4,000 laser or a $30 LED thing. It could come in useful for somebody.

It is entirely up to yourselves whether to add it to the built in definitions or not, as I am not sure where to draw the line. Perhaps if it has an identifiable (even if vague) brand, a model number and a readable manual, they are the criteria?
Massimo Callegari

Hi Boxy. Yes, as we discussed earlier, it is OK for me to create a new side project on GitHub to store other fixtures and gobos to avoid overcumbering QLC+.

GitHub has a nice "download as ZIP" feature that users can use to grab a snapshot of what's in there and add it on top of QLC+ if they need it.

The structure must be:
\\
|- fixtures
|- gobos
\\- Laser ?

And so on...
I'll create it later when I have some time and some material to put it in

Thanks !
Santiago Benejam Torres

In a few days I think I can add a new fixture. The fixture is a "Cameo Multi Par 1". A friend left me the manual, and this weekend I will try to make the fixture definition. The fixture it's a four LED PAR assembly.
http://www.cameolight.com/en/products/l ... port-case/
Rob Nieuwenhuizen

Sent 3 new fixtures about an minute ago ;) have fun with it!
Massimo Callegari

Thanks Rob !
Massimo Callegari

Thanks to everyone ! Only 8 to go !
Janosch Frank

Hi,

I would also suggest a new repository for the fixtures.

- It would be possible to have a staging area for unfinished fixtures.
- Dodgy fixtures could be separated but are useable by own imports when needed.

This could especially help to develop big fixtures like moving lights with 30+ channels. Having a platform for requests and discussions would also be great, as it allows much better multi user development.

Currently I can only guess which fixtures are needed and should be written, as I only lay my hands on very few. Therefore I see no need in developing any more fixtures.

Just my 2 cents ;)
Boxy

I agree Janosch, hence my (very) recent posts over in Fixture Definitions.

Some troll could take my WIP definition, try it, then complain it doesn't work properly.

A 'FIP' category! Fixtures In Progress! is what is needed.

How many fixtures are we away now?
Massimo Callegari

Guys, I'm sorry but I can't set up a repository for work in progress fixtures.
At least I don't have enough time to follow it.

It seems to me that right now the work in progress area is this forum and it works kinda OK.

If any of you want to take the responsibility to administrate it (for a long term period), then it's OK for me.
For example I see Boxy is quite active on fixtures. If he has enough time I can create a repository and give him administration rights.
Obviously to work on Github there's a minimum requirement of knowledge of the GIT versioning system.

@Boxy...only 6 to go !! :)
Boxy

I can have a go.

Any versioning system has to better than our work one so I will look into GIT shortly.
Janosch Frank

I would be happy to help Boxy, e.g. by checking and commenting.
When the fixtures are (pre)checked by others Massimo could save a lot of time around here.

There is just one problem, people that want to submit fixtures but are not familiar with GIT...
Massimo Callegari

Thanks Janosch. Yes, Github is a very powerful tool to work in team, but as I said it requires some preliminary skills.
That's why I believe the forum posting is still the most accessible way for everyone.
Unfortunately I am not aware of any other system that allows to work in team on some online files. If anybody knows some, I'd be glad to look into them.
Charles

I think a side repository of fixtures it doesn't make sense to bundle with the release makes sense but, doing something similar with work, I'd agree that a forum + gatekeeper systems is the best way to do the first step.

Having a small team of "gatekeepers" keeps a level of consistency of approach which those of us building fixture defs to get lights working might not have a visibility of.
Boxy

My Ingress responsibilities mean I can't look deeper until later today. I agree with all the above though so could try something without screwing up what's already there.
Massimo Callegari

** !!! Goal reached !!!**

There are 403 fixtures online now ! Thanks a whole lot to everyone !