Jumping to the editor by a widget

Request a feature that you would like to see in QLC+.
Explain in details why you would need it and which is your usage case.
yokosuna

So I´ll inaugurate the new section :-)

Edit a function by the widget editor
What I mean is to have the possibility of jumping directly to the appropriate editor of a function
that I have assigned (to a button, for example). Or at least, showing the type of that function (chaser, scene, efx etc)
mcallegari

Ok, then let's not start to give bad examples...

To be honest I don't understand what you're asking and I don't have the gift of reading minds yet.
So please, you are invited to elaborate your request and explain exactly what you have in mind, possibly with an example of how it would work.
yokosuna

HTH:
Unbenannt.JPG
Add a button to jump directly to the "chaser" - editor of the function or the "script" - editor or whatever belongs to the assigned function.
To be honest, I don´t think that this could be implemented in v4 since it seems that "widged properties" are modal and function editors are child
windows in respect to their parent.

So: what might help a little bit for the moment is to show what kind of function is assigned. That would help reducing guessing:
Is "Name of a function" a chaser, a scene, a efx or whatever I gave this damn thing a name for a couple of weeks ago...
Last edited by yokosuna on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcallegari

Why the Virtual Console Button properties dialog should take care of renaming a Function when the Function Manager is there for the purpose ?

Plus, you can give the button the name you want, cause that's the one that will be displayed, not the function name.

As for the function type, that might be useful.
yokosuna

Oups sorry - I edited my post while you are writing an answer...so please reread.
I don´t want to rename the function but to edit the function itself.
bleurose

I am going to chime in here with what I think is a REALLY important capability, particularly for cue lists (but also applies to buttons and sliders in scene mode as well): the ability to "blind edit" the function (scene, collection, chase, EFX, etc.) that is attached to either a button or slider or other control, or the step within a chase in a cue list.

Scenario: I am running cues in a cue list and I get to a cue/scene and want to edit that scene to make a minor change. Every lighting board I have ever worked on lets me adjust the levels "blind" and then save the new levels back to the current "scene". To do that in QLC+, I must click the "blind edit function" icon, scroll through the long list of scenes/collections/efx/etc that is popped up and find the scene I am currently in on the VC, edit it and make the changes and then come back to the VC.

It would be SO MUCH EASIER to just have a button on the cue list for each step that would immediately take me to the editor for that step. One click, edit, save, done. This may not be a huge thing for concert lighting, but for theatrical lighting where the cue list is the focus of your efforts while running a show, this kind of quick adjustment mode would be a godsend.

I also like the idea of being able to do this for any other widget on the VC, like a button. It might be harder here (I would see it done with a "right click menu" and a "blind edit function" command) but it should be possible.
luca

Where is LIKE :)
bleurose

Hi all,

I JUST came up with at least a partial solution of my own which I had never thought of or considered until I read something on another post. If you are running a cue list, and that is the ONLY cue/function you are running, and you press blind edit AND you click running functions, all of the other functions disappear except for (a) the cue list itself and (b) the current step that is running. That lets you VERY quickly find the current step and edit it. NOT as quick as having a direct menu click to do that from the cue list, but a lot faster than scrolling through all the functions as I have been doing in the past. I have NO idea why I didn't try this or figure it out myself earlier, but I thought I would post this to help anyone else who is currently looking for at least a better option.

It would be REALLY nice if the "Running Function" choice was maintained from blind edit to blind edit but it isn't. It goes back to "all functions" each time you click blind edit. I would think that would be a pretty easy fix and it makes more sense to me. It should maintain its state and if you want to go back to "all functions" you just select that and it stays there until you click it to "running functions" again. But even so, it is still MUCH faster than scrolling through the function list and trying to remember the name of the currently running function (which is usually hidden below the dialog box!)

Jon